ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on how these players now reveal which school they pick

cockymark

Oct 1, 2006
I think its really getting out of hand and disrespectful. look all the schools put a lot of effort into these kids and now seems more about showing up the schools not picked than praising the one they did up until the last couple of years they would show more class with this thoughts?

Reactions: TarCock29
Their kids, they are only enjoying the moment and it's not showimg anyone up. They are just having fun and being creative in the way they reveal who they can choose. Guess our own lattimore was classless with the Auburn hat since you believe that's disrespectful to a school huh?

I think when an in state kid does it to us it tends to suck more. Of course I’m ok with them doing it to sCUm. That said I don’t think we’ve had anyone do us the way recently in football recruiting that I recall.

I think its really getting out of hand and disrespectful. look all the schools put a lot of effort into these kids and now seems more about showing up the schools not picked than praising the one they did up until the last couple of years they would show more class with this thoughts?

It sure beats sneaking up and surprising a sweaty, shirtless teenage boy cutting wood in the forest.;)

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/vi...lemson-tigers-video-jean-shorts-chopping-wood

Last edited:
what the kids do now days is nothing compared to how disrespectful Dabo’s rant was.

It's the influence of media attention, internet/social media. I've known students who refuse to accept a prom date invitation until the boy makes one of those over-the-top efforts that end up on social media. IsIt one of this generations quirks.
Ah, yes. The Promposal. First time I heard about it I was like WTF and told my daughter she wasn't going anywhere with a boy that was stupid enough to do that. I was quickly informed and corrected by my wife that its now the thing to do. I will say he went all out to ask her.

It's the influence of media attention, internet/social media. I've known students who refuse to accept a prom date invitation until the boy makes one of those over-the-top efforts that end up on social media. IsIt one of this generations quirks.

My son is a high school senior. He has a few friends being recruited by smaller schools.

None of them have plans for an announcement outside of telling the coach of their chosen school. Later they will have a small signing ceremony at the school in the cafeteria, gym or auditorium where they simply sign their papers. No big fanfare, and respectful.

Just because it gets out of hand with a few kids who go way overboard does not make me want to deprive all kids of their moment in the spotlight.

Reactions: rogue cock

It went from the "me-me" generation to the hey look at this, I can do one better generation by pull stunts like pulling out four different hats just embarrass both the fans and schools.

No more etiquette in announcing their choice...

Sometime that stunt will back fire, if a school backs out of the commitment because some other player maybe better than you and you have to look at the other school who you embarrassed during the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Ah, yes. Let's compare to the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Can you imagine what teenagers in the 30's thought about those rascals in the 60's???
More than half of kids didn't even finish high school in the 30's.

What we're really seeing is how technology is allowing teens (and adults, too) to express who they really "are" - from a psych standpoint - without the filter of civilization. Teens are almost solely focused on themselves. It's a biological thing that simply cannot be changed (although with the right "coaching" the maturation process can be accelerated).

It's a process to grow up and grow beyond being so self-focused and seeing oneself as part of a greater whole. Some folks (some very powerful folks) never get beyond being hyper-focused on themselves and their self image. They get stuck in their ego and never grow into their superego (see Freud for a description of these).

The question is what kind of people are we creating with ubiquitous technology that stunts this maturation process?

It's juvenile, isn't it?
Friday night my thoughts were "who is this Cam Smith kid, and why should I care".
Here are my thoughts on recruiting. I don't care what you did in HS. Show me what you can do once you get to college, against guys that were just as good as you in HS. More often than not, many of these kids don't live up to the hype because of exactly that.

Like someone said.. Our most beloved and revered player of all time pulled one of these stunts.

I don't particularly like it, but I don't think it reflects poorly on the kid. It's the age we live in, everyone wants to create a buzz.

More than half of kids didn't even finish high school in the 30's.

What we're really seeing is how technology is allowing teens (and adults, too) to express who they really "are" - from a psych standpoint - without the filter of civilization. Teens are almost solely focused on themselves. It's a biological thing that simply cannot be changed (although with the right "coaching" the maturation process can be accelerated).

It's a process to grow up and grow beyond being so self-focused and seeing oneself as part of a greater whole. Some folks (some very powerful folks) never get beyond being hyper-focused on themselves and their self image. They get stuck in their ego and never grow into their superego (see Freud for a description of these).

The question is what kind of people are we creating with ubiquitous technology that stunts this maturation process?
Wonder what people thought of the kids of the 60s and 70s. Turned out fine I think.

Friday night my thoughts were "who is this Cam Smith kid, and why should I care".
Here are my thoughts on recruiting. I don't care what you did in HS. Show me what you can do once you get to college, against guys that were just as good as you in HS. More often than not, many of these kids don't live up to the hype because of exactly that.

I agree to an extent. My theory on recruiting is this- Just because you get the highly rated guys doesn't mean you're going to win, but if you want to win, you gotta have the highly rated guys.

There are countless examples of big time recruits who can't live up to the hype. So I think it is important to temper our excitement about getting these 4 and 5 star types. Doesn't automatically translate to wins on the field. But... if you look at the top teams year in and year out, they have a bunch of highly rated recruits. So it is exciting to see we are getting a bunch now.

Like someone said.. Our most beloved and revered player of all time pulled one of these stunts.

I don't particularly like it, but I don't think it reflects poorly on the kid. It's the age we live in, everyone wants to create a buzz.
For every Marcus, there's a Demetris. Some outperform the culture; some don't.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
For every Marcus, there's a Demetris. Some outperform the culture; some don't.
Connect the dots on Demetris Summers and a "look at me" culture please? Summers committed before social media and I don't recall anything flashy about his announcement. The guy never said much of anything, just didn't do what he was supposed to do. His struggles with home/upbringing have been well documented on here. Not seeing the connection between his story and this thread

Let's not overlook the fans involvement in this as well. Today you have grown adults following these kids' social media accounts worse than a teenage girl and the boyband du jour.

Exactly. And there's a media industry devoted to it.
If there was no audience ...

Connect the dots on Demetris Summers and a "look at me" culture please? Summers committed before social media and I don't recall anything flashy about his announcement. The guy never said much of anything, just didn't do what he was supposed to do. His struggles with home/upbringing have been well documented on here. Not seeing the connection between his story and this thread
The identities of particular points of reference are irrelevant. The point is, whatever the particular context of his development, he was a person whom everyone wanted. He and his entourage were made aware of that over several years before he committed. They went through the process (yes, players were holding news conferences and pulling out hats back then also). The similarities outweigh the differences. There are people coming along today - in the social media era - who are analogous in every essential way to one or the other person we cited. And their outcomes will be similarly disparate. For every good story one can find, one can also find another unfortunate one.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I agree to an extent. My theory on recruiting is this- Just because you get the highly rated guys doesn't mean you're going to win, but if you want to win, you gotta have the highly rated guys.

There are countless examples of big time recruits who can't live up to the hype. So I think it is important to temper our excitement about getting these 4 and 5 star types. Doesn't automatically translate to wins on the field. But... if you look at the top teams year in and year out, they have a bunch of highly rated recruits. So it is exciting to see we are getting a bunch now.

& a highly rated 3 star (5.5 or 5.6 or what ever), with good academics enrolls early, not a lot of fan fair, buys into the message and works hard.
or
the 4star (5.7 etc...) diva drama final ten, final five, plays the hat game on the last day, and then realizes, oh I have to work for playing time....

Character, self discipline and good parenting and coaching can be some really good tie breakers to the "rating system"

I have friends at Abilene Christian University. About every other year they have a student enroll because alphabetically it is the first on the list of colleges and universities. That's how they picked the school to go to. They find a list of colleges and pick the first one. Even though it is simply an alphabetical list not a list ranking the schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT