ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the price of attending bowl/playoff games?

Nov 28, 2018
Just decided to hop onto StubHub to see what it's like to sit in a great seat at some relevant games. Some of these prices are absurd, how long can college football maintain this bubble? How do people pay this kind of money year in and year out?

Playoff games

Orange Bowl
On Alabama side to sit in the low club level: $2,000
On Oklahoma side to sit in club level: $850

Cotton Bowl
On Clemsin side to sit in low club level: $1,000
On Notre Dame side to sit in cub level: $1,300

Sugar Bowl
For either side it's about $700

Rose Bowl
To sit in lowest section on Washington side: $1,900
To sit on Ohio State side: $850

Belk Bowl
South Carolina Gamecocks side: $200
Virgnia side: $215

Those playoff games are ridiculous, but most surprising to me is Washington seats for the Rose Bowl. I suppose it's because it's a huge bowl in CFB history and it's so close to Washington I can see why it would be more expensive, but almost 2 thousand? Crazy.

It's ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned they are pricing themselves out of business, so to speak. That's why there's a decline in attendance at all college football games.

Reactions: king ward
It's ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned they are pricing themselves out of business, so to speak. That's why there's a decline in attendance at all college football games.
You pair the prices with the advent of HDTV - which is ever-improving - and multitudinous games on TV, and it becomes obvious why people aren't going like they used to.

The face value for Belk Bowl tickets isn't bad. You can get upper level for $35 easily and club level was $149 I think is what I paid. StubHub is full of ticket brokers that charge stupid prices because they're hoping you aren't smart enough to know there's plenty of good seats left through the Belk Bowl or the GCC or Ticketmaster.

The face value for Belk Bowl tickets isn't bad. You can get upper level for $35 easily and club level was $149 I think is what I paid. StubHub is full of ticket brokers that charge stupid prices because they're hoping you aren't smart enough to know there's plenty of good seats left through the Belk Bowl or the GCC or Ticketmaster.
Do you think that those club level tickets are worth that price? What does that seat give you that the uppers don't beside getting out of the weather?

Do you think that those club level tickets are worth that price? What does that seat give you that the uppers don't beside getting out of the weather?
I’ve been to a few panthers games. In their stadium club level seats are more comfortable if I recall correctly. Also, the concourse is really nice and there’s more bathrooms and more concessions. Basically everything within the stadium is nicer and easier.

Reactions: mavcock
Compared to club level seats at WB, yes. They don't come attatched with seat fees and a donation, it's just a flat price. Especially being on the 47 yard line against a FBS team in a bowl game. Panthers recently redid the club level concourses last year and concession lines are much shorter, lots of options, more bars, no long lines for bathrooms and much cleaner bathrooms, seats are 2 inches wider. If it does rain you can go in the heated concourse and watch tv while keeping dry.

Just decided to hop onto StubHub to see what it's like to sit in a great seat at some relevant games. Some of these prices are absurd, how long can college football maintain this bubble? How do people pay this kind of money year in and year out?

Playoff games

Orange Bowl

Cotton Bowl

Sugar Bowl

Rose Bowl

Belk Bowl

Those playoff games are ridiculous, but most surprising to me is Washington seats for the Rose Bowl. I suppose it's because it's a huge bowl in CFB history and it's so close to Washington I can see why it would be more expensive, but almost 2 thousand? Crazy.

First Rose Bowl for Washington since 2000. Not sure I would say it is “so close” for their fans to travel there. Over 1100 miles from Seattle to Pasadena. About like traveling from Columbia to Omaha.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Playoff games

Orange Bowl

Cotton Bowl

Sugar Bowl

Rose Bowl

Belk Bowl

The price through Iptay for the 2016/2017 National Championship in Tampa came in 3 flavors, 450,550,650. Those were the only options through the school, the secondary market was double that. Pasadena the year before were about the same through the school, IIRC, through Iptay.

Fans that didn't buy tickets and parking through the school for the regular season and watched from home, came out way ahead, even if they had to buy secondary market tickets to the post season.

Not sure how much longer it can last at these prices. It is getting more expensive every year to go to the regular season games. I enjoy it and its something we do with my extended family but there is going to come a time when it just wont be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertfootball
First Rose Bowl for Washington since 2000. Not sure I would say it is “so close” for their fans to travel there. Over 1100 miles from Seattle to Pasadena. About like traveling from Columbia to Omaha.

I’ve driven from Columbia to Omaha twice for the CWS. It never seemed close to me. In fact that drive downright sucks

I’ll listen on the radio if I am close enough to a station. Will be out of state most of that day.

Playoff games

Orange Bowl

Cotton Bowl

Sugar Bowl

Rose Bowl

Belk Bowl

Bowl games are for corporations... not the fans. Because of this there are typically free tickets floating around in the bowl city. If you live in Charlotte I’d recommend holding out as long as possible. Those who go through Gamecock Club are essentially just buying a seat in the Gamecock allotment. The stadium won’t be full. You’ll be able to find way cheaper than face on any sideline of the stadium you wish the closer it gets to game day. All depends on how comfortable you feel with waiting. Worst case you can walk straight up to box office the day of the game, choose just about any section you want and pay the face value.

Of course you can’t do this for a NY6 bowl but just about anything else you can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT