ADVERTISEMENT

Throw The Records Out the Window - FORGET The Spread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong with you?

Name 4-5 teams in the sec that would beat clemson.
That would be 3-4 teams that are better than Clemson. Let me try - Alabama certainly, very possibly Ole Miss, Miss St., Arkansas (right now), toss up against Florida's defense and LSU.
The true question is; if Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St., Florida, and Georgia played Clemson's schedule, what would their records be, and how would you gauge their strength as a team?

That would be 3-4 teams that are better than Clemson. Let me try - Alabama certainly, very possibly Ole Miss, Miss St., Arkansas (right now), toss up against Florida's defense and LSU.
The true question is; if Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St., Florida, and Georgia played Clemson's schedule, what would their records be, and how would you gauge their strength as a team?
Let's see. Ole Miss lost to Memphis. Alabama lost to Ole Miss. Arkansas lost to Toledo. Florida almost lost to Vandy and Florida Atlantic. Georgia needed OT to beat Georgia Southern.

I'm not trying to rag on those teams. I'm just trying to say when you are comparing teams in different conferences that don't play the same schedule it is hypothetical to say how one team would do against another team's schedule and vice verse.

This isn't same SEC that won 7 straight National Titles. I'm saying that based on the Non-Conference and Bowl results of the last two years. I still think the SEC is the best conference but the gap isn't near as wide as what it was.

We'll find out how good Clemson and Bama are if they both make the Playoff.

Let's see. Ole Miss lost to Memphis. Alabama lost to Ole Miss. Arkansas lost to Toledo. Florida almost lost to Vandy and Florida Atlantic. Georgia needed OT to beat Georgia Southern.

I'm not trying to rag on those teams. I'm just trying to say when you are comparing teams in different conferences that don't play the same schedule it is hypothetical to say how one team would do against another team's schedule and vice verse.

This isn't same SEC that won 7 straight National Titles. I'm saying that based on the Non-Conference and Bowl results of the last two years. I still think the SEC is the best conference but the gap isn't near as wide as what it was.

We'll find out how good Clemson and Bama are if they both make the Playoff.
How can it be anything other than hypothetical?
But to answer your point, Clemson barely beat ND, barely beat Louisville, and was challenged pretty well by NCS and Syracuse. As for Arkansas, that's why I said (right now), Memphis and Toledo have very good football teams, but the truth is, they were probably underestimated.
Until Fla St. loss to GT, they were the most overrated undefeated team in the country. The same could be said about last year and that's why they were embarrassed in the first round of the NC playoffs.

How can it be anything other than hypothetical?
But to answer your point, Clemson barely beat ND, barely beat Louisville, and was challenged pretty well by NCS and Syracuse. As for Arkansas, that's why I said (right now), Memphis and Toledo have very good football teams, but the truth is, they were probably underestimated.
Until Fla St. loss to GT, they were the most overrated undefeated team in the country. The same could be said about last year and that's why they were embarrassed in the first round of the NC playoffs.
Clemson beat NC State 56-41 while FSU beat NC State 34-17. Clemson beat Syracuse 37-27 while FSU beat Syracuse 45-14. Clemson beat Louisville 20-17 while FSU beat Louisville 41-14. So based on those results is FSU better than Clemson? No. Why? Because Clemson beat us head to head on the field where it counts. Plus there are other common opponent between Clemson and FSU such as Wake Forest, Miami, Georgia Tech and Boston College in which Clemson did better against those teams than FSU did. That is why it is call TOTAL BODY OF WORK.

I'm just trying to say that to say teams like Arkansas (who has 5 losses), or Mississippi State (who has 3 losses) are better than Clemson because of some hypothetical strength of the SEC is incorrect in my opinion.

As for FSU, we were embarrassed in the 1st round of the Playoffs last year because we had 5 turnovers in a 17 minute span to start the 2nd half. Had we done that in the regular season we would have had a loss and wouldn't have even been in the Playoffs. We rolled up 530 yards against Oregon in the Playoff but only scored 20 points because of the 5 turnovers plus the 5 turnovers gave Oregon short fields over and over again. It was a 5 point lead for Oregon at Halftime before the turnover barrage. Oregon was the better team, and they were 39 points better than us that particular day because we didn't play well. Ohio State had lost to the Virginia Tech during the season but then won the National Championship. Does that somehow make Virginia Tech the best team in the country?
My point is the Playoff wasn't indicative of the fact that we were overrated. We were #3, not #1. We were rated about where we should have been. We beat 3 teams that finished in the Top 25 in Louisville, Clemson and Georgia Tech. And we were the only undefeated team to that point. We just played a sloppy game with the turnovers and got blown out as a result.

You want to know who was overrated last year? That would be the Mississippi schools that somehow climbed to #1 and #2 in the 1st Playoff rankings by virtue of beating teams that themselves were overrated and then Ole Miss proceeded to get blown out of the water by TCU in the Peach Bowl while Mississippi State got blown out of the water by Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

So why are you singling FSU out for overratedness?

Last edited:
So why are you singling FSU out for overratedness?
I'm making a comparison in Fla. St. of last year with Clemson of this year. Sorry I wasn't very clear about that. If Clemson makes the playoff, and unless they draw Iowa, I believe they will suffer the same fate as Fla. St. did. I don't think Iowa belongs there, and there are several teams below them that do (Just my opinion).
And to your point on turnovers, isn't it interesting how we all generally take credit for "forcing" turnovers when our opponents turn the ball over but when our team turns the ball over, we talk about how uncharacteristic turnovers are? They're a part of the game. Often times, teams win a game or two due to takeaways and lose 1 or 2 by turnovers.
All this said, I want to end this in good spirit. Sorry if my initial post offended you. I've seen you post many times and never seen disrespect from you. BUT, I still believe Clemson would have 2 or 3 losses if they played an 8 game SEC schedule.

I'm making a comparison in Fla. St. of last year with Clemson of this year. Sorry I wasn't very clear about that. If Clemson makes the playoff, and unless they draw Iowa, I believe they will suffer the same fate as Fla. St. did. I don't think Iowa belongs there, and there are several teams below them that do (Just my opinion).
And to your point on turnovers, isn't it interesting how we all generally take credit for "forcing" turnovers when our opponents turn the ball over but when our team turns the ball over, we talk about how uncharacteristic turnovers are? They're a part of the game. Often times, teams win a game or two due to takeaways and lose 1 or 2 by turnovers.
All this said, I want to end this in good spirit. Sorry if my initial post offended you. I've seen you post many times and never seen disrespect from you. BUT, I still believe Clemson would have 2 or 3 losses if they played an 8 game SEC schedule.
Since the start of the 2012 season, Clemson is 4-3 against the SEC with wins over Auburn and LSU in 2012, over Georgia in 2013 and South Carolina in 2014. Their losses are against South Carolina in 2012 and 2013 and Georgia in 2014. So that is almost the equivalent of an 8 game SEC schedule right there. But here is the thing. None of those games were against the Vandy's, Kentucky's, Tennessee's act. where you can rack up easy wins. LSU was Top 10 when Clemson beat them, Georgia was Top 10 caliber in 2013 and their season got derailed by injuries. South Carolina of 2012 and 2013 was Top 10 caliber. The only games that weren't Top 10 caliber were Auburn in 2012 and South Carolina in 2014. The other thing to consider is this Clemson team is much better than any of those other Clemson teams that compiled that 4-3 record vs the SEC from 2012-2014. I believe this Clemson team would have at most 1 loss playing an SEC schedule this year.

I mean they are Top 15 in the country in both Offense and Defense. What other SEC team can say that? Is there even a QB in the SEC in the same league as Deshaun Watson?

Last edited:
... unless you're smart enough to TAKE THE POINTS and bet it.

It's been EIGHT YEARS since clemson won in Columbia ... on a last second FG that didn't come CLOSE to covering the spread. We finished 2007 6-6 and didn't go anywhere. clemson was 9-3 ranked Top 25 and a 10-point favorite when a BS 50-yarder set up that FG with under a minute to go, costing us the game straight up but WINNING the bet with ease.

The year before we went to clemson, they were again ranked Top 25 ... we had just barely beaten Middle Tennessee the week before to become 'bowl eligible' - clemson was an 11-point favorite and we beat them STRAIGHT UP (coming back from THREE scores down). Then WE (on a high) beat Houston in the Liberty Bowl while clemson went on to crap against Kentucky in their bowl game.

After that loss in 2007 (a WIN ATS) clemson beat us there in '08 and then the STREAK started - FIVE IN A ROW (three of which clemson entered the game as the betting FAVORITE).

We beat 'em with good teams, we beat their BEST teams with teams that weren't really all that hot, we beat 'em with GREAT teams ... even when they've been OBVIOUSLY 'better' we've beaten 'em and we've CERTAINLY ALMOST ALWAYS "beaten the spread".

clemson has a very good team, they would probably be the 4th or 5th best team in the SEC this year but they ARE NOT 17 1/2 points better than the Gamecocks. When our guys 'quit' we get slaughtered (see 63 in '03) when clemson quits THEY get slaughtered (see 70 v. WVA not too long ago). When we BOTH play 'hard' we do BETTER than 'good' and we play VERY WELL in Columbia when the fans are screaming and clemson is dropping the ball.

IF our guys SHOW UP we will 'cover' ... and lesser SC teams have beaten higher ranked, much better clemson teams STRAIGHT UP before ... HERE and THERE - but especially HERE when the fans are screaming. We've got NOTHING to lose ... they have EVERYTHING to lose. clemson CANNOT take the pressure. We have NO pressure. clemson may well win, they SHOULD win, they're BETTER than we are ... so what?!!! We've 'been there' MANY times before and pulled it off. RECENTLY, very recently.

clemson ain't gonna' cover 17 1/2 ... and they might drop it a few times and LOSE. THEY'VE BEEN KNOWN TO!!!

I appreciate your optimism. I, unlike some I've seen, enjoy your post. You keep it lively. I know some of these folks want to kick a dog while its down, but what if that dog bites back this Saturday. What if the ball bounces our way. What if Clemson pulls the clemsoning of all time? If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but dammit I got a feeling. Keep it coming sports suites. GO COCKS. 23-21 cocks, Frye sinks the 45 yard game winner!

I appreciate your optimism. I, unlike some I've seen, enjoy your post. You keep it lively. I know some of these folks want to kick a dog while its down, but what if that dog bites back this Saturday. What if the ball bounces our way. What if Clemson pulls the clemsoning of all time? If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but dammit I got a feeling. Keep it coming sports suites. GO COCKS. 23-21 cocks, Frye sinks the 45 yard game winner!
Fry* fixed it before I get curb stomped by some wah wah's.

Reactions: SportsSuites1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT