ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits from Wednesday's practice....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Morrell

Jun 1, 1998
Wednesday’s practice was the best of the week. All three quarterbacks took about an even number of snaps, and Chris Smelley had the best night of the bunch. Spurrier will likely not announce a starter until Friday, if even then.

Cory Boyd is running with a chip on his shoulder and appears desperate for a lot more touches. Mike Davis, I hear, feels the same way.

Look for some new wrinkles, formations and plays on offense this week. Spurrier has never been one to beat his head against the wall and run an offense that doesn’t fit his personnel, and this weekend will be no exception.

Heath Batchelor and Garrett Anderson took most of the first team snaps at guard on Wednesday and appear set to start there on Saturday night. I hear Batchelor looks more natural at the guard spot than I would have expected. It will be very interesting to see how he and the entire line responds to the new combination of players.

Defensively, the front-7 seems to be responding to the challenge and is anxious to face a defense that is likely going to run the ball right at them 30+ times this weekend. Cliff Matthews practiced without his cast last night for the first time, so don’t be surprised if he has his most productive game yet since moving to outside linebacker.

Special teams had a good night and seems to have corrected the issues they were having with punt coverage men not staying in their lanes.

Overall, it was a productive practice and the kind of workout they needed. saturday's game is a turning point game, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many, so they really need to put it together and get the victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News