ADVERTISEMENT

Tips for Florida trip

1badcock

Sep 11, 2002
I'm thinking of taking my son to the Florida game. I've been down there before, but don't remember much of it, except for feeling sorry for Tannyhill for having to play them.

Looking for tips. Parking? Lodging (on the cheap)? Where to buy tickets outside the stadium, etc? Help me go bring back a win for the Cocks.

A few years ago we drove down from Chas. Stayed Friday night in Jacksonville in the river street area. It’s only 1 1/2 hours to Gainesville. An easy drive. We parked in the residential area behind the restaurant row / Main Street area . College kids fill their yards up with game day parking. 15-20 bucks.

Watched Marcus and Stephen have career games and SOS beat the gators. Later that day fl st kicked a field goal to beat the taters. (It was a good trip)

Well first thing is cut your favorite jeans (blue preferred color) and make them into shorts. (Jorts). Break out your favorite gamecock tshirt , make sure to tuck it and wear a thick belt with it.

Youll fit right in

A few years ago we drove down from Chas. Stayed Friday night in Jacksonville in the river street area. It’s only 1 1/2 hours to Gainesville. An easy drive. We parked in the residential area behind the restaurant row / Main Street area . College kids fill their yards up with game day parking. 15-20 bucks.

Watched Marcus and Stephen have career games and SOS beat the gators. Later that day fl st kicked a field goal to beat the taters. (It was a good trip)

Amen to that!

Well first thing is cut your favorite jeans (blue preferred color) and make them into shorts. (Jorts). Break out your favorite gamecock tshirt , make sure to tuck it and wear a thick belt with it.

Youll fit right in

Yep. Especially if you accessorize with a white belt and a full mullet.

Jacksonville gamecock club does a bus trip. Use to be a pretty good time if you don’t mind a bus ride.

I'm thinking of taking my son to the Florida game. I've been down there before, but don't remember much of it, except for feeling sorry for Tannyhill for having to play them.

Looking for tips. Parking? Lodging (on the cheap)? Where to buy tickets outside the stadium, etc? Help me go bring back a win for the Cocks.

get yer q @ the starke roadside setup

I live in Gainesville. You won't find a cheap hotel here for that weekend. You're going to have to stay in Jacksonville or Lake City or somewhere.

I'll be at the game hope to see you there.

Reactions: section907
We used to stay in Starke. There's still a couple of decent motels and several eating places there. That won't be true much longer. The 301 bypass going around town will kill the town once it opens. But right now, it's an easy ride over to Gainesville and puts you on the right side of town to come back home. The Cedar River fish and seafood place is pretty good.

Thanks for all of the great info, I almost forget to pack my jorts.

What's the ticket scalping situation outside of the stadium? I'm thinking I can wait and grab a couple for under face on gameday.

Thanks for all of the great info, I almost forget to pack my jorts.

What's the ticket scalping situation outside of the stadium? I'm thinking I can wait and grab a couple for under face on gameday.
Plenty of secondary market sales usually. It's a cottage industry down there. The only time I've ever been down there and there were not tickets to be had was the year Holtz went in there to play Spurrier with the winner probably going to Atlanta. After we got an early 14-0 lead, they flipped the game on us and won going away. But Many people were looking for tickets on the street and there were none to be had.

@king ward you seem to have done a lot of following of the Gamecocks over the years. Were you less of an Eeyore type then or did you pay all that money and travel all that way assured you'd be witnessing a loss?

@king ward you seem to have done a lot of following of the Gamecocks over the years. Were you less of an Eeyore type then or did you pay all that money and travel all that way assured you'd be witnessing a loss?
I've always loved road trips and enjoyed the people I traveled with. I just like to see new places, different stadiums, eat at different restaurants, etc. I hope I'm not done traveling to see Gamecock football with friends. Actually, I'd rather do a couple of road trips a year than an entire slate of home games. It's twice the fun and half or less the expense. Better stories to tell also. Plus, doing that leaves me with a lot of free Saturdays in the fall.

What some people term negativity is simply realism to me. If something is good, I say it's good. I'm no different now in that regard than I have ever been.

Reactions: coolcock2001
The best thing that ever came out of that shit hole called Starke was the lifeless body of Ted Bundy after he was executed at the Florida Penitentiary there. Speed trap full of North Florida jorts wearing mullet sportin’ Red necks

The best thing that ever came out of that shit hole called Starke was the lifeless body of Ted Bundy after he was executed at the Florida Penitentiary there. Speed trap full of North Florida jorts wearing mullet sportin’ Red necks
No, that's Waldo. It was Hampton until the New York Times blew the lid off the racket they had going on.

Last edited:
Just read ticket prices were as low as $18 in some places. Should be able to get them cheap. Stay away from the pro scalpers ( early anyway )

RIGHT!!! I lived in Jax in the early 70's. Some things never change including speed traps in Starke and Waldo!
Actually the town of Waldo disbanded their Police Department a couple of years ago. Not to say the Florida Highway Patrol won't still pull you going through there but it's not like it was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT