ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight will be the first game I don’t watch…

Sending an SOS

Aug 20, 2005
And I have to admit, it feels weird. But I’ve played these scenarios over and over in my head the last several games only to come away disappointed and upset. So tonight, I’m not watching. And I’ll see the score when the game is over and either be pleasantly surprised or happy that I spent my time being more productive.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Feeling that way a little OP….but, I’m bored so I’m gonna watch. Never know what will happen with this bunch

Which team can dunk the most or shoot uncontested 3’s the most? So who is playing. We talking about USC right?

College basketball as a whole is a bad product.
It really is. Im shocked more people don’t realize this. The only thing it has going for it is the NCAAT in my opinion. They’ve even ruined the Conference Tournaments that used to be awesome too.

I tried watching at the beginning but as soon as I saw Arkansas second possession when they got the ball down low and we had 3 defenders around him. That used to be a bad spot for an offensive player. He goes up and we foul him. It was then that I remembered why I rarely watch an entire game anymore.

I stopped watching a long time ago. Typically I’ll watch the score and if the game is good I’ll watch the last 10 minutes of a game. But that’s about all I can handle now. I have far better things to do than watch guys stand around on the blocks while one dude shoots free throws. So often it seems that is what the game has been reduced to.

And I have to admit, it feels weird. But I’ve played these scenarios over and over in my head the last several games only to come away disappointed and upset. So tonight, I’m not watching. And I’ll see the score when the game is over and either be pleasantly surprised or happy that I spent my time being more productive.

Good decision.

Reactions: cockofdawn

I love college basketball. It is just not really fun when your school's team is a dumpster fire and totally irrelevant. Had no interest in watching last night and from seeing the score that was a wise choice.

Frank Martin and Ray Tanner have lost Carolina basketball fans. I wont re-engage until the program is given a new direction. Fan apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a program and we are definitely there.

I love college basketball. It is just not really fun when your school's team is a dumpster fire and totally irrelevant. Had no interest in watching last night and from seeing the score that was a wise choice.

Frank Martin and Ray Tanner have lost Carolina basketball fans. I wont re-engage until the program is given a new direction. Fan apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a program and we are definitely there.
Agreed re: Frank Martin and the men's team.
But Dawn Staley and the women's team most certainly keep us engaged.

Reactions: DarkCock
Agreed re: Frank Martin and the men's team.
But Dawn Staley and the women's team most certainly keep us engaged.
You are correct. Dawn is the GOAT and USC women's basketball is currently the only premier program we have.

But even this shouldnt relieve the legit pressure on Tanner and Martin for how bad our men's team is. It is unacceptable.

You are correct. Dawn is the GOAT and USC women's basketball is currently the only premier program we have.

But even this shouldn't relieve the legit pressure on Tanner and Martin for how bad our men's team is. It is unacceptable.
I think most FGF folks do believe that Frank is a good man, and does try hard to mentor his players to become good men. And I applaud him for that.

However, his "unorthodox" coaching style has produced inconsistent results. Like many, I was hoping that the ff run would have elevated the program at least a level or two. Sadly, it hasn't.

And while I certainly don't want MBB to lose the rest of this season's games, it's time for a change. But a new hire has to be thoughtfully considered by the USC administration. No question the head coaching position is a tough job, but if a new hire looks like it would be more of same, no sense making a change for change's sake.

FM might do well at a D-II school which doesn't emphasize hoops, can offer athletic scholarships, and he can mentor the projects. That would be a good thing.

Last edited:
I think most FGF folks do believe that Frank is a good man, and does try hard to mentor his players to become good men. And I applaud him for that.

However, his "unorthodox" coaching style has produced inconsistent results. Like many, I was hoping that the ff run would have elevated the program at least a level or two. Sadly, it hasn't.

And while I certainly don't want MBB to lose the rest of this season's games, it's time for a change. But a new hire has to be thoughtfully considered by the USC administration. No question the head coaching position is a tough job, but if a new hire looks like it would be more of same, no sense making a change for change's sake.

FM might do well at a D-II school which doesn't emphasize hoops, can offer athletic scholarships, and he can mentor the projects. That would be a good thing.
I think most FGF folks do believe that Frank is a good man

I really don't understand how this is relevant. And FWIW, I agree FM is a good man. I also think he is no longer the right coach for UofSC and we should make a change. And I feel like folks use the "good man" comments as some small way of giving FM a pass or at least more time.

He has been given plenty of time and there is no justifiable evidence that anything has changed or is even moving in the right direction. Absent the few weeks of the dramatic Final Four run, Frank's Carolina teams have always been wildly inconsistent. They have not been good shooters. He has made head scratching decisions to sit players because they are in his personal "dog house". He can't recruit skilled, sought after recruits. All of those critiques are legitimate, have been there throughout his entire tenure and are as present in his current team as they ever have been.

Reactions: Legendary Cock

Well, let's just it this way

I turned on 107.5 last night and heard Derek Scott calling the game and the first thought I had was "Brad Muller must be sick so they have Derek calling the women's game"

Then I thought, "but there is no women's game tonight. I know that"

The men's game never occurred to me.

I had no idea the game was on last night- none - until I turned on the radio when I walked into my kitchen thinking I was going to listen to 30 seconds of a national host talking about the NFL playoffs this past weekend while I got a snack out of my kitchen pantry.

on tv I was watching MeTV at the time. I didn't turn the channel.

I'd offer Frank a job in the athletic department as an outreach director for high schools. He can choose what to do.

From everything I can tell, when Frank is off the court he's not someone that is cursing and yelling like an uncontrollable force. He's thoughtful, etc.

If Frank could control himself on the sideline a little bit and change his approach slightly, I'd be willing to even give him one more year. But we all know Frank can't change.

I think most FGF folks do believe that Frank is a good man

I really don't understand how this is relevant. And FWIW, I agree FM is a good man. I also think he is no longer the right coach for UofSC and we should make a change. And I feel like folks use the "good man" comments as some small way of giving FM a pass or at least more time.

He has been given plenty of time and there is no justifiable evidence that anything has changed or is even moving in the right direction. Absent the few weeks of the dramatic Final Four run, Frank's Carolina teams have always been wildly inconsistent. They have not been good shooters. He has made head scratching decisions to sit players because they are in his personal "dog house". He can't recruit skilled, sought after recruits. All of those critiques are legitimate, have been there throughout his entire tenure and are as present in his current team as they ever have been.
I agree with you 100%. Just trying to separate Frank the human being from Frank the coach. No more time, no more passes. And no snide remarks about the person as well.

Well, let's just it this way

I turned on 107.5 last night and heard Derek Scott calling the game and the first thought I had was "Brad Muller must be sick so they have Derek calling the women's game"

Then I thought, "but there is no women's game tonight. I know that"

The men's game never occurred to me.

I had no idea the game was on last night- none - until I turned on the radio when I walked into my kitchen thinking I was going to listen to 30 seconds of a national host talking about the NFL playoffs this past weekend while I got a snack out of my kitchen pantry.

on tv I was watching MeTV at the time. I didn't turn the channel.
This post speaks volumes.

I'd offer Frank a job in the athletic department as an outreach director for high schools. He can choose what to do.

From everything I can tell, when Frank is off the court he's not someone that is cursing and yelling like an uncontrollable force. He's thoughtful, etc.

If Frank could control himself on the sideline a little bit and change his approach slightly, I'd be willing to even give him one more year. But we all know Frank can't change.
Last year's discussion. And the year before........

I can barely watch. At this point, the way Frank coaches, it's an embarrassment to the University of South Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT