ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Elliot to Tennessee?

Not the impressive hire I was thinking UT would go for. Sure, Elliott looks pretty good at Clemson. With their talent, and schedule, you could plug in just about any competent high school OC and they would look good as well. Supposedly Elliott impressed the new AD when he interviewed at UCF. But UT isn't UCF a lot of the natives won't be happy with this choice. They have been down this road before with a supposed offensive genius in Dooley, and a defensive one in Pruitt. Turned out they were good assistants, but weren't head coaches.

It demonstrates a total change in direction and philosophy from what Tennessee has pursued in the past. How do you wish a coach well while wishing a program ill? I'm on the horns of a dilemma. I'm going to place his odds of being the.most successful coach at Tennessee since Fulmer at his peak at 65%. I consider him the offensive version of a Tony Dungy. They are going to get a huge recruiting boost from this.

Not the impressive hire I was thinking UT would go for. Sure, Elliott looks pretty good at Clemson. With their talent, and schedule, you could plug in just about any competent high school OC and they would look good as well. Supposedly Elliott impressed the new AD when he interviewed at UCF. But UT isn't UCF a lot of the natives won't be happy with this choice. They have been down this road before with a supposed offensive genius in Dooley, and a defensive one in Pruitt. Turned out they were good assistants, but weren't head coaches.

wrong wrong. do you beat your dog?

Good for Elliott. He deserves his chance. Now, with the offensive braintrust gone at Clemson, it will be interesting to see if Venables will start planning for his departure eventually.

I’m a bit surprised by this, I take it as there’s trouble brewing in TaterTown.

Elliott has turned down the chance to interview for several jobs in the past few years, stating that when he DOES go for another job that he wants it to be someplace stable where he can have longevity.

Counting from the beginning of the 2009 season this will be the fifth HBC at UT, not counting Schiano or the two interim coaches. And that doesn’t include Steele, who apparently was brought in to hold it all together. Doesn’t sound too stable to me.

When he had to sit out the OSU game because he was Covid +, I remember hearing Dabo make a comment about it. Can’t remember what he said, I just remember thinking what he said was odd, almost dismissive of the job Elliott was doing. Then they announced he was going to be coaching TE’s, being replaced by Spiller, even though he’s coached their RB’s since the 2011 season.

Whole deal just seems strange, he was turning down job opportunities just a month or two ago, then is suddenly in the mix to move to a program facing possibility major sanctions?

I’m a bit surprised by this, I take it as there’s trouble brewing in TaterTown.

Elliott has turned down the chance to interview for several jobs in the past few years, stating that when he DOES go for another job that he wants it to be someplace stable where he can have longevity.

Counting from the beginning of the 2009 season this will be the fifth HBC at UT, not counting Schiano or the two interim coaches. And that doesn’t include Steele, who apparently was brought in to hold it all together. Doesn’t sound too stable to me.

When he had to sit out the OSU game because he was Covid +, I remember hearing Dabo make a comment about it. Can’t remember what he said, I just remember thinking what he said was odd, almost dismissive of the job Elliott was doing. Then they announced he was going to be coaching TE’s, being replaced by Spiller, even though he’s coached their RB’s since the 2011 season.

Whole deal just seems strange, he was turning down job opportunities just a month or two ago, then is suddenly in the mix to move to a program facing possibility major sanctions?
They missed him that night. There needed to be some creativity that's usually there but wasn't in evidence.

I’d guess it’s a big contract. Like Muschamp. Where he can cash in regardless of his performance. Plus he has a built in excuse. This is a solid move for Elliott. Good for him. Most likely will lead to an early retirement . Plus he’s out from under Dabos micro world.

I just find it hard to believe these great programs (Bama and Clemson) are loaded with 4-5 great coaches apiece. I think, like the players, they benefit from all the talent around them. Pushed out on their own, most struggle.

Did we offer Tony Elliott? I guess we figured it was no use to even try to hire him as our Head Football Coach.

He has not played a full slate every year of said conference. Sorry tater.

Try the SEC week and week out. CU is very good, but good enough to play UGA, then travel to Gainesville, and then play TAM. Throw in Vandy for an easy acc type victory, then go to Auburn or Kentucky, so forth and so on. Go thru that unscathed and injury free then you’ve earned it!

2020 acc bowl record 0-6, in case any of you fellers’ forgot.

Clemson hasn’t always been as talented as they are. Not nearly. A good coach can get talented players no matter where he’s coaching.

Reactions: Brace1
David Hood on Tigernet is shooting that rumor down. He’s an old friend of mine and as much as I’d love to see Elliott to UT I have my doubts given Hood’s comments.

David Hood on Tigernet is shooting that rumor down. He’s an old friend of mine and as much as I’d love to see Elliott to UT I have my doubts given Hood’s comments.

He's literally the mouth piece of the coaching staff so i'm assuming his sources are good on this one. Unless Elliott isn't being completely honest with Dabo.

He has done quite well against said conference.
He has never had to compete in a full SEC schedule unlike Georgia , Alabama , LSU, Florida , Auburn etc who have to truly play competition all year to get to playoffs
Very different than playing a Duke , wake forest etc
So competing against an SEC team maybe once a year isn’t the same
Any one can tell you that though

He has never had to compete in a full SEC schedule unlike Georgia , Alabama , LSU, Florida , Auburn etc who have to truly play competition all year to get to playoffs
Very different than playing a Duke , wake forest etc
So competing against an SEC team maybe once a year isn’t the same
Any one can tell you that though
That's true, it would definitely be more difficult for them to make the playoffs every year. Their 2 teams that won the championship would have won it no matter the conference though, Watson was unstoppable and their defense in the second one had 4 or 5 first round picks on it.

That's true, it would definitely be more difficult for them to make the playoffs every year. Their 2 teams that won the championship would have won it no matter the conference though, Watson was unstoppable and their defense in the second one had 4 or 5 first round picks on it.

I won't have bet the farm on it happening. Here's the thing, regardless of how many good players Clemson has, a team can get banged up pretty badly playing a full season in the SEC.

Last edited:
He is a good OC, who may be walking into hell. Tennessee is a disaster, riding a train wreck, located in a dumpster fire, wrapped in a nuclear explosion.
They made what I believe will be a home run hire at AD, though. I expect that their overall athletic program is going to improve.

If the refs would have called offensive PI like they should have, the Watson teamed wouldn't have won that game. To go another step further, if Bama wouldn't have lost the big RB to injury, the game wouldn't of been close.
Now they won that other game against Bama pretty easily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT