ADVERTISEMENT

Too soon??

Way too flippin' soon!! (And I ain't clicking a link from the snake).

He took us to new heights, and left us at a new low. That all cancels out to a net-'average'; you don't recognize someone for being average. Let him stay in Florida.

I'll stop there before I get wound up.

Last edited:
New lows? Guess you're too young to remember the late 90's. Lucky guy.
No, I remember. This hurts worse. We had success. Success which if had been capitalized upon, would have led us who-knows how high! Holtz's first year and the year before were just bad, but there was no hope to be yanked away. No 'what could have been'. I'll be perfectly fine if there's never any official "recognition" of SOS.

Reactions: trekcock and NooNoo
No, I remember. This hurts worse. We had success. Success which if had been capitalized upon, would have led us who-knows how high! Holtz's first year and the year before were just bad, but there was no hope to be yanked away. No 'what could have been'. I'll be perfectly fine if there's never any official "recognition" of SOS.
i agree at some point he deserves to and should be honored in some way, but yes, for now WAY TOO SOON..

Spurrier? Waaaaayyyy too soon. Not sure he ever needs to be honored really. 56-7 goes right back to his lack of giving a damn.

Reactions: trekcock
It's like this. SOS took us places where we have never been before that part is true. In the end he took us right back where we were when we hired him. He was hired to build a program for the future not give us a taste of honey then hide the jar. Why honor a coach because he had a few good years then took the money and ran? He gave us some exciting times but in the end let us down by letting his "give a darn" leave. If he had left during his successful seasons when things were on the up and not when we were down coach Muschamp would be in better shape in recruiting.

It's like this. SOS took us places where we have never been before that part is true. In the end he took us right back where we were when we hired him. He was hired to build a program for the future not give us a taste of honey then hide the jar. Why honor a coach because he had a few good years then took the money and ran? He gave us some exciting times but in the end let us down by letting his "give a darn" leave. If he had left during his successful seasons when things were on the up and not when we were down coach Muschamp would be in better shape in recruiting.
we would have to disagree, He is the winingest ever!! PERIOD!! Did he stop recruiting?? YES, did he give us the best era of football in USC history Yes, so you can decide, But i say YES, he does deserve it!!

Reactions: coolcock2001
He will get booed! I agree he was here for our greatest years and beat Clemson 5 in a row but I will also say those three 11 win seasons did not get us an Eastern division Championship because we always lost a game we should have won. He also left the program worse than he found it because he would not go out and get good coaches to replace good coaches and to add insult to injury, put his son in charge of recruiting. I hope he stays in Gainesville!

we would have to disagree, He is the winingest ever!! PERIOD!! Did he stop recruiting?? YES, did he give us the best era of football in USC history Yes, so you can decide, But i say YES, he does deserve it!!
Yes he did as noted but why bring him out now to a mixture of cheers and boos? Too many of the fans don't see it the way the admin. sees it. The truth is to me is that Tanner should have let Spurrier retire when he wanted to. He beat Clemson 5 years in a row but they made up for it last year at Clemson by shaming our players and beating us like we had stolen something from them. When got here and started winning we thought we had arrived to stay and expected him to leave us singing. Just like the song from the 60's says "Why do you build me up buttercup just to let me down"? ...lol

Before Spurrier 100 plus years.
3 bowl win
1 10 win season
17 7 plus win season

During Spurrier
5 bowl wins
East title
3 10 plus win seasons
9 7 plus win seasons

3 bowl win
1 10 win season
17 7 plus win season

During Spurrier
5 bowl wins
East title
3 10 plus win seasons
9 7 plus win seasons
This. If you don't like Steve Spurrier you simply are not a Gamecock fan

3 bowl win
1 10 win season
17 7 plus win season

During Spurrier
5 bowl wins
East title
3 10 plus win seasons
9 7 plus win seasons
I agree Jeff but it's how he left us that bugs me. He didn't retire he quit, he's still working. He's gone so why not look to the future under a young coach? It ain't like Spurrier left a dynasty to continue he left the new staff with a big fat 0. All those records mean nothing when you left the place worse off than you did when you found it. He was paid handsomely for those years and admitted he quit on us. Bottom line is he took us half way to paradise. So he's the winningest coach at USC big deal he didn't have a high bar. Honor coaches who win NC and region SEC titles not one showed us how the other half lived then left. It's just my opinion.

I used to think as a Carolina fan we'd never see success. Now I've realized that even if we do we don't recognize or appreciate it

Spurrier is top 2-3 coaches in school history in any sport (Tanner and McGuire would be other 2). He's by far the best, most successful football coach we've ever had. Sure it ended poorly, but those are just the facts.

I do think it's too early to honor him though.

I used to think as a Carolina fan we'd never see success. Now I've realized that even if we do we don't recognize or appreciate it
Where have you been the past two seasons? Nobody ever said we didn't have some good years under Spurrier and nobody said they didn't appreciate it but are those years all you want? I think Muschamp can do the same things Spurrier did and more then leave with honor. Look, Spurriers bar wasn't that high you know. He had great years but if he had worked he could have had better ones but he just bailed.

New lows? Guess you're too young to remember the late 90's. Lucky guy.

I also recall the 70s, and 80s .... and to me you don't wait to tell someone what they mean to you. Spurrier did a lot for USC. I'd welcome this whenever it comes, this season or down the road.

Where have you been the past two seasons? Nobody ever said we didn't have some good years under Spurrier and nobody said they didn't appreciate it but are those years all you want? I think Muschamp can do the same things Spurrier did and more then leave with honor. Look, Spurriers bar wasn't that high you know. He had great years but if he had worked he could have had better ones but he just bailed.
These are just awful takes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT