ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Blueblood programs-What is your list

This topic came up with some friends with widely varying lists so like to hear what people think. Mine in no order:

ND
Michigan
Ohio State
SoCal
Bama
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
(it gets harder after this)
LSU
Tennessee

I consider a blue-blood as one who has had a sustained long term success at a high level. Basically a historical winning percentage of at least 70%. Can have a decade off here or there, but not too many.
I think based on this, which i agree with you would have 6 that qualify with an over 70 win pct, in order:
Mich
OSU
Alabama
ND
Texas
Oklahoma

Next 4 if you need a top 10 that are below 70 but are above 67.5 are:
Nebraska
Penn State
Tennessee
Southern Cal

Looking at AP national championships. There are 20 teams with 2 or more, 13 with 3 or more, 8 with 4 or more, 6 with 5 or more, Oklahoma has 7, nd has 8 and bama has 12

Last edited:
I think based on this, which i agree with you would have 6 that qualify with an over 70 win pct, in order:
Mich
OSU
Alabama
ND
Texas
Oklahoma

Next 4 if you need a top 10 that are below 70 but are above 67.5 are:
Nebraska
Penn State
Tennessee
Southern Cal

Looking at AP national championships. There are 20 teams with 2 or more, 13 with 3 or more, 8 with 4 or more, 6 with 5 or more, Oklahoma has 7, nd has 8 and bama has 12
Southern Cal has an all-time winning percentage of over 70%.

Serious question. Are you too young to remember Tony Dorsett, Hugh Green, Mark May , Russ Grimm.
Jackie Sherrill or Johnny Majors ?
I remember Dorsett at Dallas. Hugh Green was there with Marino, in fact he finished 2nd to Big George in the Heisman voting. I remember all the others from other points in their careers, Like Sherrill at Miss State and Johnny Majors at Tn. And if I'm correct I remember May and Grimm as The Hogs.

No surprise that most of these lists/opinions line up pretty well with schools that send the most players to the NFL all-time. This list is from 2018, but the historical numbers would not change much. I'm a little surprised that Alabama is not higher and that Miami is as high as it is on the all-time list.

NFL Players by College

Last edited:
No surprise that most of these lists/opinions line up pretty well with schools that send the most players to the NFL all-time. This list is from 2018, but the historical numbers would not change much. I'm a little surprised that Alabama is not higher and that Miami is as high as it is.

NFL Players by College
crazy to see that list, and shows that while college football is about jimmies and joes, it also about x's and o's. FSU, Florida, Miami, southern Cal, and Auburn (ish) have been almost irrelevant since 2018! You could also almost through LSU in there minus their 2019 season

see a lot for GA on here but what justification would you use to have them in the top? Serious question as i have not googled the wins or anything just playing historical significance off the top of my head. I get what you are saying, "recruits" by name alone but i think alot of that has to do more with current success.
Georgia is going to consistently draw their state’s blue chippers (which are voluminous, and I’m not referring to the ones that ended up being that way elsewhere, I mean the out of gate gold stars) plus a smattering of those from not only neighboring states but elsewhere as well that grew up Dawg fans for whatever reason, and always have. That legacy has demonstrated itself to be independent of top success at a given time, and is in my opinion what keeps the Clemsons and FSUs out of blue blood status. Been that way since mid-60s when I began playing and following. I’m no Georgia fan by the way.

Reactions: cfbfan15
Think most of us are way too young to really remember there glory years.....prior to the 1960s. They took the 60s off, did very well in the 1970s and early 80s. Dumbest thing they did was tear down Pitt Stadium.

Serious question. Are you too young to remember Tony Dorsett, Hugh Green, Mark May , Russ Grimm.
Jackie Sherrill or Johnny Majors ?

Remember Hugh Green was finalist for Heisman same year George Rogers won it.

Hugh played against George and Gamecocks in the Gator Bowl that year.

My top 10 bluebloods, for no rational reason.

Bama
Michigan
Ohio State (dammit)
ND
Georgia
Texas
Oklahoma
USC
Nebraska
Florida State

Reactions: kidrobinski
It appears the first 6, 7 or 8 are pretty straight forward, then there becomes a little separation after that.
1) I would not put Miami in there. They had one good time frame under JJ, but I'm not impressed after that.

1) BAMA
2) Oklahoma
3) USCw
4) NDame
5) Ohio St
6) Michigan
Space Here......
7) Texas
8) Nebraska
9) LSU
10) Penn State
Miami has 5 championships that were won by 4 different coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT