ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal. You will never guess how many players have entered the last two months.

A few that come to mind :
Justin Fields from UGA to Ohio State
Baker Mayfield from Texas Tech to Oklahoma
Kyler Murray from A&M to Oklahoma
Jalen Hurts from Alabama to Oklahoma

Those are big time names....but lets say Pickens, Lloyd, and Vann all up and entered the portal today - something tells me the fan base would not be loving that, I doubt the sentiment would be "good for them!"....those aren't big name guys nationally, but they are program cornerstone type guys that you really depend on.

My answer was referring to the OP, who stated 3,000 transfers in the last two months. Further, another poster alluded to the impact of NIL deals on transfers. So, my question is directly toward those two items: the last two months and NIL deals.

So, having prefaced the question with those two criterion, I'll ask it again.

In the last two months with the potential impact of NIL deals, outside of a head coach change/leaving, has any school lost a player like that?

This is my big issue with the portal. So far the data is showing that somewhere between 25 and 35 percent of these players wont get an offer from another school. These kids will loose a guaranteed education because they over estimate how good they are or are not willing to learn and wait their turn. Only about 1% will make it past college ball. Only about .5% will make a final roster. So these bad decisions are going to have these kids in crappy jobs later because they lost that free education.

This is my big issue with the portal. So far the data is showing that somewhere between 25 and 35 percent of these players wont get an offer from another school. These kids will loose a guaranteed education because they over estimate how good they are or are not willing to learn and wait their turn. Only about 1% will make it past college ball. Only about .5% will make a final roster. So these bad decisions are going to have these kids in crappy jobs later because they lost that free education.
This is the sad (but true) reality, but they do it anyway. Kids...:cool:

Reactions: vacock#

This is another thing that happened prior to the portal. Kids transfer to a lower level for playing time. We had several every year when we actually recruited decently.

At least this way they can find out if someone else is interested in them first.

B-b-b-but it’s all about what’s good for the players.

I don’t mind the portal, but I’d like to see some sort of time frame for the portal. I think some of the late transfers can put schools in bad spots with their roster that they could have planned for if they knew a kid was going to transfer earlier.

This is another thing that happened prior to the portal. Kids transfer to a lower level for playing time. We had several every year when we actually recruited decently.

At least this way they can find out if someone else is interested in them first.
But it happened at a much lower rate because they had to sit out for a year. Read an article today that brings to light another problem with the transfer portal. Teams are recruiting the portal instead of high schools. Seems like some high school coaches are of the opinion that the portal with prevent some deserving high school kids from getting a look. Interesting read.

But it happened at a much lower rate because they had to sit out for a year. Read an article today that brings to light another problem with the transfer portal. Teams are recruiting the portal instead of high schools. Seems like some high school coaches are of the opinion that the portal with prevent some deserving high school kids from getting a look. Interesting read.

They did not have to sit a year. That was one of the benefits of switching divisions.

I still think all of this is being blown out of proportion. Would love to see total numbers by year. Guessing that didn't really exist prior to the portal.

If a player enters the portal, their athletic scholarship should be ended and they can finish their current semester academically. This idea of testing the NIL waters with the portal should not be allowed.
I tend to agree with you....but you know very few schools will do that for fear that it will be used against them in recruiting.

Brace yourself.
Three thousand football players in Division I, II and III have entered the portal the past two months, Sports Illustrated reported Monday.

I can't say I know what the solution to fix this would be, but clearly this situation is now out of control. My guess the coaches, School Presidents, and conference Presidents will begin to use their influence to make rule changes.
Sooner or later, were going to have the CFB version of Chernobyl.

I don’t consider it the school ending the scholly. The athlete willingly walked away from it by entering the portal…at least that’s how it should be in my mind.
I understand that....and agree. But doubt everyone would play by that same rule unless the NCAA stepped in and made it.

Is there a possibility some people in the portal could get stuck in there and not go to college if another team doesn’t pick them?
A full scholarship player could absolutely screw himself over……. No one picks you…. Then you get stuck having to PAY for College and then having to try out as a walk on if you still wanna play. They are adults and it’s their life decisions.

All I hope is that our staff can master this new landscape and win Championships.

Last edited:
Is there a possibility some people in the portal could get stuck in there and not go to college if another team doesn’t pick them?
Good question. Not sure how that affects the ability to sign new players for a team who has an unclaimed player in the portal.

Interesting article about this by David Ubben in the Athletic today. Title is “There is one clear way to stop the chaotic roster turnover taking over college football.” His solution is to pay the players outright so that they can be put under contract with the school. Not sure I like that idea, but I get his point.

I like to think USC will benefit more than be hurt by NIL and the transfer portal. Maybe it will be the equalizer, but it feels like the size of NIL budget becomes uber important (A&M anyone?). There was an interesting quote by Dabo at the beginning of the article. I wonder if he senses that NIL and the transfer portal remove a big advantage Clemson has had.

“It’s chaos right now. Tampering galore. Adults manipulating young men,” said Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, long the most prominent opponent of the transfer portal, who recently softened his stance and offered Louisiana transfer O’Cyrus Torrence this week. “Education is like the last thing now.”

Interesting article about this by David Ubben in the Athletic today. Title is “There is one clear way to stop the chaotic roster turnover taking over college football.” His solution is to pay the players outright so that they can be put under contract with the school. Not sure I like that idea, but I get his point.

I like to think USC will benefit more than be hurt by NIL and the transfer portal. Maybe it will be the equalizer, but it feels like the size of NIL budget becomes uber important (A&M anyone?). There was an interesting quote by Dabo at the beginning of the article. I wonder if he senses that NIL and the transfer portal remove a big advantage Clemson has had.

“It’s chaos right now. Tampering galore. Adults manipulating young men,” said Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, long the most prominent opponent of the transfer portal, who recently softened his stance and offered Louisiana transfer O’Cyrus Torrence this week. “Education is like the last thing now.”
That would absolutely create chaos, especially from a federal tax and state employment law standpoint.

Good question. Not sure how that affects the ability to sign new players for a team who has an unclaimed player in the portal.
That 'unclaimed player in the portal' would have his future scholarship rescinded by his previous school in order to make room on the 85 player roster. And, if he isn't 'claimed' by another program, then he is simply SOL.

Reactions: rogue cock
That 'unclaimed player in the portal' would have his future scholarship rescinded by his previous school in order to make room on the 85 player roster. And, if he isn't 'claimed' by another program, then he is simply SOL.
Thank you. I haven't looked enough to know exactly how that would work.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Except I fear that, moving forward, USC will need a few dozen million dollars a year to keep it going.
i dont think this is how it will work going forward. im pretty sure the laxness is because of covid and that they wont be abkle to transfer freely after this year

It may come to that, so that a better system can be implemented. It's becoming fairly obvious to even the most casual observer that this is not sustainable.
I'd hate to be a college coach now. Roster management is neverending. And scholarship money will diminish when donors lean toward supporting NIL fund initiatives. It's coming; it's here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT