ADVERTISEMENT

Transferring into USC

IH8FATBRAD

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2006
So my wife and I think my son is going to fall a little short on grades to make it in as a freshman. Probably a 3.3ish....Anyway, is the bridging through an SC technical college the best way to go you think.?? Anyone have any advice on the matter..? Thanks in advance.

So my wife and I think my son is going to fall a little short on grades to make it in as a freshman. Probably a 3.3ish....Anyway, is the bridging through an SC technical college the best way to go you think.?? Anyone have any advice on the matter..? Thanks in advance.
I would call the TC and make an appointment to talk to a counselor

My gosh, a 3.3 won't get him into Carolina. Wow, I would have thought he could have gotten in with those grades.

Freddy...You have no idea. I think anything below a 3.5 is a non starter. He has ok SAT, and has played football. We are going to try, but are preparing for alternatives. I have friends daughter that didn't get into that baby blue bs School with a freaking 4.7 and a high ACT. That's stupid. Bad thing is those butt wipes give preference to kids with the right last name.

He can do a year or two at a technical school and transfer in, the requirements for transfers is lower than being admitted as a freshman.

I always recommend getting your cores out of the way at tech, but losing that experience as a freshman and sophomore might not be worth it to all.

My niece went to midlands tech freshman year and it really worked out best. She got a free ride, classes were smaller (she went to small private school) it got her use to columbia as she came from small town. She did great at Carolina graduating cum laude

Freddy...You have no idea. I think anything below a 3.5 is a non starter. He has ok SAT, and has played football. We are going to try, but are preparing for alternatives. I have friends daughter that didn't get into that baby blue bs School with a freaking 4.7 and a high ACT. That's stupid. Bad thing is those butt wipes give preference to kids with the right last name.

You are right about the baby blue school. I have friends that finished UNC and have kids that have great grades but still couldn't get in school. They prefer the international students.

Reactions: RockThrillCock

Have you son put his applications at Carolina, if he has 3 years of a foreign language, put an application at Clemson (yes, Clemson. forget loyalty, we're talking about your son's future), CofC, Coastal Carolina. Or go to Midlands Tech to get the basics out of the way...

Did he take an AP classes?

Your son could also go to one of the USC branches...but I would definitely talk with admissions at USC and where ever he goes to make sure the courses are accepted at USC/Columbia. My sons started out at USCA and they lost some of their credits when they went to transfer..even though we were told that USC Columbia would accept them. If possible, I would get it in writing!

You are right about the baby blue school. I have friends that finished UNC and have kids that have great grades but still couldn't get in school. They prefer the international students.

UNC takes 1 student from different locations outside of North Carolina.... If you live in NC, then they take everyone under the sun who lives in NC...

Reactions: JSpears5
UNC limits the number of students from certain HS's in NC...I know that as a fact.

I would talk to USC about what credits they accept and from where. All colleges play this game where they don't accept at least some transfer credits. I think there are two real reasons, one, it makes them seem like they have high academics, and two, they make more money that way. If a kid transferred from Harvard to Midlands Tech, Tech would find something to not accept.

What part of the state do you live in? Going to a technical college in SC is a great deal but be CAREFUL. Just because a class transfers to Carolina doesn't mean it counts for the major. That's where so many folks get screwed. For instance, HIS 101, 102, 201, & 202 ALL transfer from a SC Technical College but only 3-6 hours of them will count for most degrees. So if your degree requires 6 hours and you took all 4, you may have wasted 3 classes. Conversely, you may have avoided Public Speaking and when you transfer you realize it's required.

Also, with a 3.0+ if you live in SC you are eligible for the LIFE Scholarship at a Technical College. With 30 hrs and a 3.0 after one year he can then get LIFE at a 4 year college too. PM me and I will give you my email address. I work in the field and am glad to help and get you connected to folks at USC or the Technical College in your area.

Reactions: Pruittmatt44
I am currently a senior at North Greenville and I transferred in from TCTC. It was honestly the best decision I could have made. I spent more time at TCTC then I should have, however I did a lot of growing up that could potentially hurt a lot of kids that start at a 4 year college. The college experience is important however, that's one thing I sorta missed out on. For me though I found a great girl in high school and we are getting married in July. So in my situation it worked, however if your son chooses to go to a tech school make sure he knows what his major requires, have him get a worksheet of his classes he will need and use this website

https://my.sc.edu/codes/transferequiv/index

It will provide to be very beneficial for him I believe. I personally used SCTrac but it looks like it's changed since I transfered in at NGU.

Reactions: nikolas22

If he or she is an instate student, you can petition the board for entrance. Think of some good reasons the campus location and offering effects family etc.

The new 5.0 basis alters what 3.3 means now. As for the young lady with the 4.7, is she in-state or out-of-state?

I have two children at USC, both started elsewhere. My daughter went the technical school route and my son started at a branch school. The branch school will allow faster access to USC, requiring only thirty credit hours. The technical school transfer required sixty hours. Both require a good GPA. The technical school was significantly less expensive. Both of them are very happy with USC and the effort it took to get there.

I did that very thing, but it was in the mid-90s. Not sure who's there now, but the director of admissions @ Carolina at the time was a Class A bitch! Met with her in person & she blatantly told me that she doesn't like transfers from tech schools because they come to Carolina & flunk out & it makes her look bad. I got in only with NUMEROUS letters of recommendation from very high up folks that accompanied my appeal to get in (was denied entry twice).

Fast forward 2.5 years after that meeting with said bitch. It was my last week of classes & I decided to take one of my graduation invitations by. I went in, waited a good 30-40 minutes to get in with her, & once I did, I handed her the invitation. Told her, "Just wanted you to know that this tech school transfer that you gave absolute hell trying to get in here is graduating next Thursday. And uh.....when you get a chance, go check the Dean's & President's list the last 4 semesters. Have a nice life." I then walked out with one of the biggest shit-eating grins in recorded history.

King Ward.....No...she is an NC resident, as am I. The bridge program is going to be the way to go should he decide to go to USC.

It's my understanding the route you're considering is fast becoming the preferred route with tuition and other costs the way they are, he (and/or you) will end up in less debt when it's all said and done. Smart move in my opinion... even if he could qualify right away. I've had one who went to a USC satellite school (to play sports right away) where everything would transfer over to USC... but keep in mind not all classes would transfer over to other places. So be careful about that. I have one now ( a senior in HS) who's been admitted to several good colleges but decided to enroll at a tech for two years before transferring to wherever it leads her for a teaching degree. I have a lot of teachers and education administrators in my family. We're all pretty proud of her decision to do it that way.
Whether it's JUCO or tech, a 3.0 will pretty much get you free tuition for in-state students. College will come and go in a heartbeat. The debt won't.

Just for curiosity, what do you mean by enrolling in a low major? A major not many people take?

Yes, Freddy, in the earlier years, not sure if they haven't closed this loop hole, but one would/could enroll in "say as a history major" then transfer over to Business once they were accepted. I personally, knew two people that applied with 3.0 in the late 80's with similar sat scores and one had Business as their major and the other had History. Only one was accepted. History. He later transferred over to business.

Guess saying low major should have been less popular major. Recently my neighbor's son was recruited by CofC to attend a new masters program they were starting up. I forget the field. Since it was a new program, they were proactive in trying to get students into the program. Grades mattered but wasn't the deciding factor.

Apply for Spring semester entrance -- he'll be accepted.

I feel for the kids today i really do. I see a lot of them dropping out of college with student loans up the ying yang and before Iran/Iraq I would encourage these kids to join the military. I have been blessed to get both sons through college debt free.

I did that very thing, but it was in the mid-90s. Not sure who's there now, but the director of admissions @ Carolina at the time was a Class A bitch! Met with her in person & she blatantly told me that she doesn't like transfers from tech schools because they come to Carolina & flunk out & it makes her look bad. I got in only with NUMEROUS letters of recommendation from very high up folks that accompanied my appeal to get in (was denied entry twice).

Fast forward 2.5 years after that meeting with said bitch. It was my last week of classes & I decided to take one of my graduation invitations by. I went in, waited a good 30-40 minutes to get in with her, & once I did, I handed her the invitation. Told her, "Just wanted you to know that this tech school transfer that you gave absolute hell trying to get in here is graduating next Thursday. And uh.....when you get a chance, go check the Dean's & President's list the last 4 semesters. Have a nice life." I then walked out with one of the biggest shit-eating grins in recorded history.

Rod, I hope you're serious with this post, because it has made my day. I would have paid money to have been the fly on the wall when you gave that bureaucratic witch the what for! Congratulations!

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Your son could also go to one of the USC branches...but I would definitely talk with admissions at USC and where ever he goes to make sure the courses are accepted at USC/Columbia. My sons started out at USCA and they lost some of their credits when they went to transfer..even though we were told that USC Columbia would accept them. If possible, I would get it in writing!

This happened to my son too. He went to USC Upstate his freshman year and when he transferred to USC Cola, he lost about 12 credits. Be sure to discuss what will and will not transfer..... plan accordingly..... and getting it in writing is a great idea. Good luck.

Reactions: nikolas22
This happened to my son too. He went to USC Upstate his freshman year and when he transferred to USC Cola, he lost about 12 credits. Be sure to discuss what will and will not transfer..... plan accordingly..... and getting it in writing is a great idea. Good luck.
Interesting. We didn't have that problem. Wonder if it's because USC Aiken and USC Upstate are four year schools and ours was a USC JUCO (two year). That's the only difference I can think of. The OP might want to check into that. Our problem with credits transferring would have been if we went out of the USC system from there. So he best be sure of the direction he wants to go.

Rod, I hope you're serious with this post, because it has made my day. I would have paid money to have been the fly on the wall when you gave that bureaucratic witch the what for! Congratulations!

Serious.

It is one of my more pleasant memories of college.

You get a 5 for an Honors or AP class I think is how it works. HS is nothing like it was when I went. There are classes that last a semester, and some last a year. It's all over the place.

Ha....I had a 970........It's crazy the difference between then and now.

About 3 of my grandson's friends are going to Greenville Tech for two years and transfer. That move was my grandson's backup plan, but thankfully he's been accepted to Carolina.

Midlands Tech has a great program that is designed to help these kids get into Carolina - my son went through it a couple of years ago. Talk to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT