ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrann Mathieu 5'9'' 182 lbs.

BigTomE

May 5, 2015
Johns Island, SC
Some of you (mostly taters) are concerned with Jamyest William's height, so thought I'd post some accomplishments of another 5'9'' defensive back. Tyrann Mathieu plays every game with something to prove.

former 4 star (Rivals) recruit and considered #13 CB in the country in 2010
played in all 13 games at LSU his freshman season compiling 59 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 INT
2011 77 tackles (60 solo) 2 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries, 2 INT, 26 punt returns for 420 yards and 2 TD's
2011 Heisman Trophy finalist
2011 SEC Defensive player of the year
2011 consensus All American
2011 Chuck Bednarik Award recipient
2011 SEC champion
2013 3rd round draft pick # 69 overall
2013 NFL All rookie team
2015 Pro Bowl
2015 First team All Pro
August 2, 2016 signed a five year $62.5 million extension with the Cardinals.

"Man it's just the hunger and the fight to be the best. I have little man's syndrome (laughs), I'm a little guy so I've always got something to prove to everybody". Jamyest Williams 4 star #8 CB in the country.

House taters, please feel free to link this thread over on taternet.

Some of you (mostly taters) are concerned with Jamyest William's height, so thought I'd post some accomplishments of another 5'9'' defensive back. Tyrann Mathieu plays every game with something to prove.

played in all 13 games at LSU his freshman season compiling 59 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 INT
2011 77 tackles (60 solo) 2 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries, 2 INT, 26 punt returns for 420 yards and 2 TD's
2011 SEC champion
2013 NFL All rookie team
2015 Pro Bowl
2015 First team All Pro

"Man it's just the hunger and the fight to be the best. I have little man's syndrome (laughs), I'm a little guy so I've always got something to prove to everybody". Jamyest Williams 4 star #8 CB in the country.

Thats great and all but he is not 5'9.

I've questioned it as well, but USC's capsule had him at 5-9, 174. Those are supposed to be measurements from his official visit this past weekend.

It is interesting, for sure he is talent no matter what. My concern is a 6'4 receiver. But who knows, others more qualified than me think he is solid. Can't wait to see his return game. Jake could use the ball on the 40-50 yard line.

It is interesting, for sure he is talent no matter what. My concern is a 6'4 receiver. But who knows, others more qualified than me think he is solid. Can't wait to see his return game. Jake could use the ball on the 40-50 yard line.

Mathieu recently signed a $62 million dollar contract extension playing at the games highest level. 5'9" is not the ideal height, but the right competitor can overcome their disadvantages.

Reactions: RaginRooster
Mathieu recently signed a $62 million dollar contract extension playing at the games highest level. 5'9" is not the ideal height, but the right competitor can overcome their disadvantages.

Ok. He is a one in million player. Apples - Oranges. I hope for the best but your argument falls flat.

Ok. He is a one in million player. Apples - Oranges. I hope for the best but your argument falls flat.

Mathieu 5'9" 4 star recruit #13 ranked CB
Williams 5'9" 4 star recruit # 8 ranked CB
Seems like apples to apples to me.

I'm not claiming that Williams is the next Mathieu. I'm making the point that Mathieu has excelled, despite his height, so obviously the position can be played by a guy his height.

You just stated the obvious for me here. Even if he can't cover a lick, his return game is elite. I wanted him just for that and the possibility of using him some on offense.

If he can defend effectively, that's just icing on the cake.

Reactions: Heyward1
He got burned in the TV game I saw (Archer?). His height caused corner routes to be successful all night.
That being said, he is an elite recruit who brings a war chest of abilities. Offense, defense and ST. He will be put in position to contribute wherever we need him.

Even if he doesn't become an elite CB, I am sure he will be good for us. Much rather have him on our team, than to be with the redneck leg humpers south of us.

I don't see him trying to make an argument, but he is giving you some facts that contradict your argument. He's just giving you an example of an elite NFL CB that has had tremendous success despite being short.

Reactions: BigTomE
Guess who else was 5'9 ?? Darrell Green who beside Deion is considered to the greatest cover corner to play the game .

A whole lot of this ITT....

get_off_mylawn.jpg

I don't see him trying to make an argument, but he is giving you some facts that contradict your argument. He's just giving you an example of an elite NFL CB that has had tremendous success despite being short.

Thanks. I get it. But these arguments fall flat. Comparing one unique talent to another based on one quality never works.

Deion Sanders himself said the kid was a stud at the All American game practice. If you are not excited to see what he can do, you're probably a Clemson troll.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I saw a CNN article a good while back well before he committed to us. In the article they mentioned he had the second most offers of any recruit in the nation. Many people who evaluate football talent for a living believe he'll be great, I do too.

IMG_0371.png

Nick Saban is 5'6"

Not arguing anything as I think Jamyest is a heckuva talent

Like the OP just stating facts

Spud Webb was 5'7" and he would have kicked your azz on the court. That said every 5'7" kid can't do what Webb did Odds are against the Wee People in today's world. Sorry.

Thanks. I get it. But these arguments fall flat. Comparing one unique talent to another based on one quality never works.

You don't get it. I'm NOT comparing the two players. I'm just providing proof that it's possible to play the position at a high level despite being shorter than the ideal height.

In other words, Williams height is not a reason to automatically disqualify him

Reactions: rogue cock
IMG_0371.png

Nick Saban is 5'6"

Not arguing anything as I think Jamyest is a heckuva talent

Like the OP just stating facts

Is this the only picture you taters have seen of him? Obviously this picture is on taternet because you're all posting the same picture over and over. Muschamp has a put a ton of DB's in the NFL, so I trust his evaluation much more than 1 single picture posted by a tater. Besides, the picture you keep posting it's pretty obvious Williams is standing with his weight shifted to his back foot and his neck/back slouched over while Saban is standing up straight like a military officer.

Is this the only picture you taters have seen of him? Obviously this picture is on taternet because you're all posting the same picture over and over. Muschamp has a put a ton of DB's in the NFL, so I trust his evaluation much more than 1 single picture posted by a tater. Besides, the picture you keep posting it's pretty obvious Williams is standing with his weight shifted to his back foot and his neck/back slouched over while Saban is standing up straight like a military officer.
Ok
Visual evidence of said shortness hurts

Sorry?

I've said that I think he's a great player

2011 SEC champion
2013 NFL All rookie team
2015 Pro Bowl
2015 First team All Pro

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...adger-4-star-jamyest-williams-dominates-at-59

Listen, the only place 1" to 2" really matter is in the bedroom. At least that's what I've been told.

You don't get it. I'm NOT comparing the two players. I'm just providing proof that it's possible to play the position at a high level despite being shorter than the ideal height.

In other words, Williams height is not a reason to automatically disqualify him

Take a deep breath and read my post again champ.

Take a deep breath and read my post again champ.
You are not getting it. He never made an argument. He just gave you an example of an elite CB who happens to be short. You are focusing on his height as being a factor that completely overshadows his quality as a blue chip athlete. Basically, you are saying that Williams has to PROVE that he can cover taller receivers before you buy into his value as a DB. I have more confidence in him as an elite athlete. Your sarcasm is rude. Get a couple thousand more posts before you act like you own the board.

He got burned in the TV game I saw (Archer?). His height caused corner routes to be successful all night.
That being said, he is an elite recruit who brings a war chest of abilities. Offense, defense and ST. He will be put in position to contribute wherever we need him.
He didn't play for archer last season.

At 5'8" Bob Sanders was the defensive player of the year in the NFL ... it's not the only thing that matters.

Taller defenders with range have an advantage over shorter DBs when covering big outside receivers. That's just common sense. Great smaller defenders can hang in there, but they are at a disadvantage on 50/50 balls when dealing with bigger receivers.

You are not getting it. He never made an argument. He just gave you an example of an elite CB who happens to be short. You are focusing on his height as being a factor that completely overshadows his quality as a blue chip athlete. Basically, you are saying that Williams has to PROVE that he can cover taller receivers before you buy into his value as a DB. I have more confidence in him as an elite athlete. Your sarcasm is rude. Get a couple thousand more posts before you act like you own the board.

Ha you so funny - you new? Let me guess you are 5'7 too, Never heard of you. Good luck to you in your life. You need thousands of posts to be relevant? HaHa. you are cute!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT