ADVERTISEMENT

U-S-C......GO Branding

BlackMagik

Feb 4, 2004
Rather than all of this silly “of” nonsense, Carolina should just make it a point to emphasize/enunciate all three letters “U-S-C” in their marketing/social media.

Just like in the “U-S-C GO COCKS” chant, make it a point to say/print/@/whatever it like that.

Basically, the left coast school is YOUessSEE, and we are YOU/ESS/SEE. I’m sure more media-savy minds who send out $200k+ invoices could run with it.

When we lost the court battle with So Cal, for marketing/licensing reasons, we change to The USC. Now it's U of SC. Not sure which is the lesser of 2 evils but unfortunately, something needs to be done, for licensing reasons. Some fans just HATE change. In this case, it's inevitable.

When we lost the court battle with So Cal, for marketing/licensing reasons, we change to The USC. Now it's U of SC. Not sure which is the lesser of 2 evils but unfortunately, something needs to be done, for licensing reasons. Some fans just HATE change. In this case, it's inevitable.
Watch...nothing is going to change with fan merchandise etc. This is about a logo to use mainly on social media. The court battle we supposedly "lost" with So Cal was years ago and we have changed zero with the baseball gear.

Why can’t they be USC and we be SC? They get both?
Like the baseball lids. Those are the best looking I've seen. A little tangled but better than putting a preposition in there.
1200px-USC_baseball_logo.svg.png

955a21c56e9ba09342f5567fefe16ccf.jpeg

Watch...nothing is going to change with fan merchandise etc. This is about a logo to use mainly on social media. The court battle we supposedly "lost" with So Cal was years ago and we have changed zero with the baseball gear.

I don’t know. The university has made it pretty clear they are trying to re-brand to differentiate themselves from So Cal. Why do this at all if you aren’t going to actually do that? And Marketing goes way further than just social media. That’s our TV Commercials during games, Billboards, Mailers, etc...Outside of the Athletic Logo, the marketing logo should be the 2nd most visible logo.

I won’t be shocked a bit if you see licensed apparel changes beginning next fall. Sure, you’ll be able to buy a USC shirt made by champion or something...but I really do believe the university intends to really push this U of SC thing.

While I don’t like that...I do wonder if U of SC would be more accepted if the Logo wasn’t so pitiful? I mean, it’s not THAT big of a deal. We’ve called ourselves SC, USC, So. Carolina, and SCAR ... U of SC is probably in the middle of that list. But that Logo is just embarrassing, especially to roll out for re-branding.

I don’t know. The university has made it pretty clear they are trying to re-brand to differentiate themselves from So Cal. Why do this at all if you aren’t going to actually do that? And Marketing goes way further than just social media. That’s our TV Commercials during games, Billboards, Mailers, etc...Outside of the Athletic Logo, the marketing logo should be the 2nd most visible logo.

I won’t be shocked a bit if you see licensed apparel changes beginning next fall. Sure, you’ll be able to buy a USC shirt made by champion or something...but I really do believe the university intends to really push this U of SC thing.

While I don’t like that...I do wonder if U of SC would be more accepted if the Logo wasn’t so pitiful? I mean, it’s not THAT big of a deal. We’ve called ourselves SC, USC, So. Carolina, and SCAR ... U of SC is probably in the middle of that list. But that Logo is just embarrassing, especially to roll out for re-branding.
I work here for one.

We should appeal and get a new lawyer, we used a lawyer from Greenville in 2010 with no ties to the University, Erskine and George Washington University educated

This is another level in my conspiracy theory.

I thought we had a law school? I guess our guys are not good enough for us?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
We should appeal and get a new lawyer, we used a lawyer from Greenville in 2010 with no ties to the University, Erskine and George Washington University educated

This is another level in my conspiracy theory.

I thought we had a law school? I guess our guys are not good enough for us?
What is the difference? We "lost" the case then I saw no change in the baseball logo gear. I know we aren't selling it without making a profit, so I'm not sure what the real upshot of that outcome was.

What is the difference? We "lost" the case then I saw no change in the baseball logo gear. I know we aren't selling it without making a profit, so I'm not sure what the real upshot of that outcome was.

Yes I agree, I have many questions as well

Why are we changing to this stupid U of SC, The USC is better or USC or why the big focus now all of the sudden, this case was from 2010.

I thought this dispute was settled on the football field on Oct 1, 1983 as things of this nature should be settled.

I work here for one.

Are you offended that I said I don’t know? The janitors work there’s too but I doubt they have 100% knowledge of the marketing decisions / plans. If you are in the marketing dept. I’d certainly put a ton of stock into what you are saying. At this point, not saying I disagree...just saying I don’t know...

If I had been the attorney this would of been my only exhibit, and I don't show any record it was submitted to the court, this is probably why we lost.

1983SoCal-USC2.jpg

Last edited:
Are you offended that I said I don’t know? The janitors work there’s too but I doubt they have 100% knowledge of the marketing decisions / plans. If you are in the marketing dept. I’d certainly put a ton of stock into what you are saying. At this point, not saying I disagree...just saying I don’t know...
I'm not offended. And I don't want to overstate my connection to the situation; I'm more of a janitor. I am with you, I don't know either. Just giving my reading of the situation -- don't think this is a big deal. Something people won't notice or talk about once the initial hoopla dies down.

Reactions: Carolina4
That video they put out introducing the new football operations facility already has 400K views in less than 48 hours. Has that block C and Gamecock logo flashing at the end. Brand is growing by the minute on social media.

Not sure if ANY of this really matters. Since we lost the trademark cases, the university doesn't sell anything with USC on it. It either says Gamecocks, Carolina or South Carolina. I doubt that will change.

Why are we changing to this stupid U of SC

Because "The U" is already taken. Their (and I use the word loosely) 'students':
1) were dumber first
2) can't figure which direction the M or W is suppose to point.
3) can not spell MIAMI, by themselves, without getting pissed off.
4) can not pronounce UNIVERSITY without drooling on the Police Officer's Report.

Thus, the birth of "The U".

Now, I know, many of you posters want to say: "Oh! I like 'The U'" or "I always thought that was the coolest." ... a sincere THANK YOU, for proving my point!

I actually like the interlocking SC in the picture from 1900. Just update it a little and have the letters in garnet and a black background. I would wear that on a hat

Pretty sure we lost both of those lawsuits but the SC rights case involved the interlocking SC.
It's not that we lost the right to use SC or USC, we can and they can't stop us. We simply can not trademark the interlocking SC because it is too similar to theirs. The was a trademark issue.

Reactions: SCexpat38
When I talk about my alma mater or athletic team, I always verbally say 'South Carolina.' but there has to be an abbreviation I guess.

Yes! It's time for a change and time to grow up and stop all this crap.
Years ago, when Alex Rodriguez started being called ARod, that was cool because, it was unique. It was The First. Even when Jennifer Lopez was called J-Lo, that worked. First girl and all the other rhetoric that goes with this kind of BS discussion. But now it's BMac and TyRod and AHole and whatever. Too much already, Too Much!

Mr Vandelay, with all respect and with no insult intended whatsoever, in Michigan, the biggest and worst furniture retailer, you know the kind, where half the people in the store are buying new, cheap furniture and the other half just want their money refunded, is called Art Van. So, I'm hoping that you just might change your opinion as to:
"but there has to be an abbreviation I guess"

Yes! It's time for a change and time to grow up and stop all this crap.
Years ago, when Alex Rodriguez started being called ARod, that was cool because, it was unique. It was The First. Even when Jennifer Lopez was called J-Lo, that worked. First girl and all the other rhetoric that goes with this kind of BS discussion. But now it's BMac and TyRod and AHole and whatever. Too much already, Too Much!"
I agree with you TMan.

Yes I agree, I have many questions as well

Why are we changing to this stupid U of SC, The USC is better or USC or why the big focus now all of the sudden, this case was from 2010.

I thought this dispute was settled on the football field on Oct 1, 1983 as things of this nature should be settled.

I was at that game. Just sayin'. Possibly the first time I ever made a call before the refs as a youngster. Personal Foul (on them) against one of our boys right in front of our bench. I was screaming bloody murder and then the flag came out. Scoreboard flashing "THE USC" at 0:00. Glorious.

Why not the "SC?" I don`t know anybody that doesn`t like the baseball symbol. We can keep the block C, Script, whatever, but also put that on helmets. Why don`t they just solicit fan ideas and polls instead of wasting a bunch of money to come up with something nobody likes?

Reactions: Garnet chicken
Can we sue Jacksonville State? Their mascot is even Cocky, they chose this in 1946

1200px-Jacksonville_State_Gamecocks_logo.svg.png

36309006e8b02935f6bb1f5a6a464544.png

Because "The U" is already taken. Their (and I use the word loosely) 'students':
1) were dumber first
2) can't figure which direction the M or W is suppose to point.
3) can not spell MIAMI, by themselves, without getting pissed off.
4) can not pronounce UNIVERSITY without drooling on the Police Officer's Report.

Thus, the birth of "The U".

Now, I know, many of you posters want to say: "Oh! I like 'The U'" or "I always thought that was the coolest." ... a sincere THANK YOU, for proving my point!

I’m not qualified to judge the “cool” factor, especially as I’ve grown older.

But I will correct point #1 for you. Miami is well regarded academic institution. Private school with a different mission from USC, so not fair to compare them but Miami would compare favorably if we did.

Reactions: rogue cock
So essentially the judge said it was because of a “spoken USC” and abandoning the interlocking SC? Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that on our baseball lids for years? I first came to SC in ‘92, and the interlocking SC hat with the baseball was one of the first things I bought, so I know it was around then

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT