ADVERTISEMENT

UCF fan here - Areas around Columbia to stay

Retnuhrace

Aug 31, 2007
Hey guys, just a UCF fan here from Orlando who's making the trip up for the game next Saturday. Just wanted some input as I was planning our stay about areas that are ok and areas to avoid, for a cheapo hotel. Is the Ft. Jackson area alright or in the ghetto? Any other areas that should be avoided or are recommended?

Looking forward to the trip up despite our team being terrible and losing our QB to a broken finger. Thanks for any input!

By Fort Jackson area are you referring to the hotels out on Garners Ferry or are you referring to the hotel by the Wal-Mart? I wouldn't say either is the ghetto, hotels on Garners Ferry are surrounded by fast food places and the others are by a Wal-Mart. Obviously not the best areas but not super terrible. if you have the option of staying in any of the hotels in the Vista or at the Inn at USC you should do it, that's the best area for restaurants/nightlife.

Stay in the Vista or downtown if you want any sort of night life/restaurant option. If you just need somewhere to lay your head, that's not a terrible option.

Some people don't Wanna pay 300 a nt for a room, which is what the Vista and downtown will be trying to rape people for. I quit staying down there.

I wouldn't stay near Ft Jackson. Not the best area.

The hotels off I77 at garners Ferry are new and nice. Easy access to stadium but 10-15 minutes from university/ 5points and another 5 to the vista. The econo lodge on Jackson Blvd is not new, but has recently been redone. If I were on a fixed budget or in college, it would be fine as I would only shower and crash there. I stayed in dumpier places in Athens, GA.
Safety is not an issue in either location. ie no ghetto

Both are near a bunch of chain restaurants...buffalo wild wings, ruby tuesdays, applebees, basil thai, J Peters, etc

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
First choice is the Vista (downtown). With the exception of the stadium, everything is within walking distance. 2nd choice would be Greystone Blvd. It is a very short drive to the Vista and prices may be much lower. 3rd choice is Harbison Blvd. It is a bit further out, but it has everything right there and you wont have to search (or pay) for parking like you would downtown. If you like the college bar scene, then Five Points is your playground.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
The hotels off I77 at garners Ferry are new and nice. Easy access to stadium but 10-15 minutes from university/ 5points and another 5 to the vista. The econo lodge on Jackson Blvd is not new, but has recently been redone. If I were on a fixed budget or in college, it would be fine as I would only shower and crash there. I stayed in dumpier places in Athens, GA.
Safety is not an issue in either location. ie no ghetto

Both are near a bunch of chain restaurants...buffalo wild wings, ruby tuesdays, applebees, basil thai, J Peters, etc
This. Since OP stated a "Cheap-o" hotel, not sure why people are leading him to the Vista. Your best bet will be the hotels right off of I-77 on Garner's Ferry. They do consider those 'Ft. Jackson' hotels; i.e. Hampton Inn - Ft. Jackson, La Quinta Inn - Ft. Jackson, etc... Those are the closest to the stadium and easy to find.

i wouldnt stay close to the city......like other guys said ure gonna pay out ure wazoo if u do....how much time u gonna spend at a hotel?.....i was always fond of embassy suites (zoo is on same exit, if u got kids, 2 min from hotel) on greystone blvd, but thats opposite side of town for you im guessing....but embassy suites will be expensive too probably...its within 3/4 miles of town

Thanks guys, yeah The Vista would be great but hotels there are either sold out or $400+ for that weekend... looks like the other UCF fans scooped those up first (our fanbase travels pretty well, believe it or not).

Good to know that wherever will be pretty decent and safe... we'll be getting in late at night so that was the reason for that question. Don't really care that we're not walking distance to fun stuff, all that will just be an Uber away.

And believe me, we aren't looking past Furman... with our team right now, there's a good chance we could be in for a fight with a 1-AA team...

I know you guys don't care about UCF right now because of your game against Georgia this weekend, so good luck!

Since you are coming in late and I assume you'll be coming up I-95N to I-26W, I would jump on I-77N right as you get into Columbia. Garner's Ferry Rd. (Hwy 378) exit is #9 and pretty much any hotel you can think of is right there off the interstate. Williams-Brice Stadium exits are the two exits before Garner's Ferry; #5 (Bluff Rd.) and #6 (Shop Rd.).

AirBNB is also another option a lot of people either know about or don't think about. If you are okay renting a private room in someone's home it is a great option for under a $100. We are doing that next weekend ($50) and have done it in Charleston with great success. I only need a place to sleep as I will be out visiting the rest of the time. Airbnb.com

Well for any Knights fans that do come to Columbia, you will have a good time with football loving Carolina folks. I don't get to many games from Williamston plus my health but do enjoy them when I can. Great fans, awesome stadium and a lot of fun. Come on down and experience the "sandstorm" when the WB really gets rocking. No place better to be!

Reactions: SADUCFKNIGHT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT