ADVERTISEMENT

UF got beat badly tonight as we all know. I don't know the entire circumstances but I know UF

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
had at least four of the top receivers to opt out. The Gators may have had other players out due to Covid, etc, I don't know.

But I just wonder once the team gets back to campus how will the players that opted out be treated if they are still on campus? I mean I understand why players opt out in these type bowl games but at the same time their teammates are out there on the field getting their butts kicked trying to represent UF as best as they can. I just wonder if there won't be some cold shoulders between the guys that played and the guys that opted out?

Maybe not because the players that played tonight may opt out next year. LOL!

Florida didn’t exactly help themselves by a couple of their players saying what they did about Oklahoma. They basically handed them bulletin board material. They pretty much called them out and Oklahoma responded

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
had at least four of the top receivers to opt out. The Gators may have had other players out due to Covid, etc, I don't know.

But I just wonder once the team gets back to campus how will the players that opted out be treated if they are still on campus? I mean I understand why players opt out in these type bowl games but at the same time their teammates are out there on the field getting their butts kicked trying to represent UF as best as they can. I just wonder if there won't be some cold shoulders between the guys that played and the guys that opted out?

Maybe not because the players that played tonight may opt out next year. LOL!

What I would like to know, is if a NCAA guys opts out with visions of playing in the NFL, how is that perceived if they make an NFL team? Do other established NFL players look at opt out guys and say "Yeah, man you're good to go"

USCALUMNI

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
What I would like to know, is if a NCAA guys opts out with visions of playing in the NFL, how is that perceived if they make an NFL team? Do other established NFL players look at opt out guys and say "Yeah, man you're good to go"

USCALUMNI

I heard on SEC Football Finals a few weeks ago that it does in some cases cause players not to be drafted as high and in some cases players are not drafted at all and have to go the Free Agent route.

Reactions: uscalumni
I heard on SEC Football Finals a few weeks ago that it does in some cases cause players not to be drafted as high and in some cases players are not drafted at all and have to go the Free Agent route.

Find that hard to believe. The players they are referring to probably would have been in the same draft/not draft situation no matter what they did.

Teams are going to draft talent unless it comes with off field problems or a difficult to deal with agent/entourage. To avoid injuries in these obscure bowls ... And lost draft capital due to recovery/rehab, opting out is the new normal for players with decent draft grades.

Find that hard to believe. The players they are referring to probably would have been in the same draft/not draft situation no matter what they did.

Teams are going to draft talent unless it comes with off field problems or a difficult to deal with agent/entourage. To avoid injuries in these obscure bowls ... And lost draft capital due to recovery/rehab, opting out is the new normal for players with decent draft grades.
I wouldn’t call the Cotton Bowl an obscure bowl. It was probably the top bowl matchup this year outside of the playoffs.

They said on the telecast that Florida had 7 starters opt out including the entire starting receiver group. They should stop calling this ‘opting out’ and call it what it really is - quitting on your team.

The team Florida fielded tonight was not representative of their team at full force and this allowed Oklahoma to cruise to any easy win.

Before the game I thought I heard them say 9 starters opted out, and I think the nfl could care less about it, if you can play they are willing to take you! Same with the nba taking 1 and done guys!

Reactions: rogue cock
I can see both sides. Pitts absolutely did the right thing. He is a first round player with nothing to gain and everything to lose. If he tears an ACL or breaks a bone he would have lost millions of dollars. That being said if a player opts out just to prevent injury I think he should be there with his teammates and support them.

Those missing receivers allowed the 430 yards rushing by OU?
No, they didn’t directly. But if your offense is running on all 8 cylinders, it’s more likely to stay on the field, sustain drives, and give those OU RBs less time to gobble up yards. I get that you were making light (and do have a point to a degree) but there is a correlation there. That, however, isn’t to take anything away from the success that OU had running the ball. They definitely executed when they got their touches. It was kinda enjoyable seeing Florida get handled.

Just repeating what I heard, I'm pretty sure it was Gene Chizik that made the comment. If a player is super talented I can assure you that him sitting out will not make a huge difference in his draft status if at all. But if a player is boarder line making the draft it could possible make a difference.

But the bowl UF played in last night was the Cotton Bowl, if I'm not mistaken that was a big bowl.

I don't know about Oklahoma but they apparently didn't have too many players opt out based on their performance.

Yes, in a way the missing receivers could have caused the 430 yards rushing. If they had played UF would have been on the field much longer and maybe scored more points hence limiting Oklahoma's offensive time of possession.

Before the game I thought I heard them say 9 starters opted out, and I think the nfl could care less about it, if you can play they are willing to take you! Same with the nba taking 1 and done guys!

Yes, they are going to get drafted for sure but in a lot of cases will they be drafted as highly?

Last edited:

USCALUMNI
The NFL is a business. Its completely different. Most would deem them, good to go, but I'm sure when confronted with other of their alumni, comments would come up about, "you should have played that game" or "you could have helped."

Regardless, as I've stated one time this morning already, South Carolina would of helped hide a couple dead bodies this season, to have the depth at the WR position that UF has.

Reactions: AngloCock
I thought Florida tackled a lot like us. They chased, grabbed and held on for dear life.

Reactions: AngloCock
Really feel bad for the fans. In a year that has been turned upside down and then spend the money to travel, only to have opt outs to have an affect on the performance. Just not right and shows adjustments need to be made with how the postseason is handled on the college level

Gators' defense sucked all year. Their running game was equally miserable. It's up to their passing game to outscore every opponent. I'm not sure they would have beaten Vandy last night.

Reactions: rb224315a
I wouldn’t call the Cotton Bowl an obscure bowl. It was probably the top bowl matchup this year outside of the playoffs.

They said on the telecast that Florida had 7 starters opt out including the entire starting receiver group. They should stop calling this ‘opting out’ and call it what it really is - quitting on your team.

The team Florida fielded tonight was not representative of their team at full force and this allowed Oklahoma to cruise to any easy win.
I would like to see the sportscasters in the news media to adopt the description of "quitter" Before each bowl game show the pictures with names of each of the players that quit on their team with the caption "These are the quitters of the Universtiy of XYZ." They will not be playing in the game tonight.

I thought Florida tackled a lot like us. They chased, grabbed and held on for dear life.
There defense was never good all season. It was that the offense was so good it come over come the weak defense.
Look what they did to Georgia! South Carolina even scored on them. Its a game they shouldn't have played. When you go from a -3 favorite to a +8 at kickoff you know its a mismatch. And it was. To think we could have gotten Lincoln Riley instead of Muschamp is shameful. Total stupidity!

Reactions: PILLMAN40
I would like to see the sportscasters in the news media to adopt the description of "quitter" Before each bowl game show the pictures with names of each of the players that quit on their team with the caption "These are the quitters of the Universtiy of XYZ." They will not be playing in the game tonight.
they did put the pictures of the receivers that were out.

Florida was on the verge of a SEC title and playoff bid. Since all that matters is the playoff, I didn't expect them to show up for this meaningless game. Several key players literally didn't bother showing up. That's where we are in college football.

There defense was never good all season. It was that the offense was so good it come over come the weak defense.
Look what they did to Georgia! South Carolina even scored on them. Its a game they shouldn't have played. When you go from a -3 favorite to a +8 at kickoff you know its a mismatch. And it was. To think we could have gotten Lincoln Riley instead of Muschamp is shameful. Total stupidity!

I heard we could have gotten Riley instead of Muschamp but is that true? If it is correct then Tanner needs to be fired this very second.

I can see both sides. Pitts absolutely did the right thing. He is a first round player with nothing to gain and everything to lose. If he tears an ACL or breaks a bone he would have lost millions of dollars. That being said if a player opts out just to prevent injury I think he should be there with his teammates and support them.
Maybe he should opt out of the combines also. He might injure himself there also.

I understand that most of the players who opted out did it to start preparing for the NFL combine and draft. If that's the case, I seriously doubt they are still on campus and in school, or will be for much longer. Most likely they are moving out and joining up with training crews to prepare themselves......

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Fake Top 10. They’ve been trying to prop UF up since Irvin Meyers left but if anyone thinks their past few “Top 10” teams could hold a candle to his then I don’t know what to say. Honestly, we should’ve beat them this year, and that’s not hyperbole, but if we had you can bet Muschamp would still be our HC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT