ADVERTISEMENT

UGA Message Boards

My honest take is that UGA blew that game with terrible offense. Yes we made some great individual plays, but UGA beat themselves for the most part. Our offense was nonexistent after Hilinski went down, yet we somehow won. Our defense showed up and tackled, but UGA never tested our secondary. Coach Muschamp hasn’t shown anything new.

I'm not sure which game you were watching. The SC defense was like a blanket on their receiving corps and our DL was in the backfield several times. Shelve the agenda and take an honest look at that game.

I'm not sure which game you were watching. The SC defense was like a blanket on their receiving corps and our DL was in the backfield several times. Shelve the agenda and take an honest look at that game.
It all starts up front and our DL was on fire. A DL that's getting into the backfield can cover for deficiencies elsewhere (safety). Fromm is not a very mobile QB so once they got to him a couple times, he was a bit rattled. We were in his backfield all day. Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

My honest take is that UGA blew that game with terrible offense. Yes we made some great individual plays, but UGA beat themselves for the most part. Our offense was nonexistent after Hilinski went down, yet we somehow won. Our defense showed up and tackled, but UGA never tested our secondary. Coach Muschamp hasn’t shown anything new.
We did... but you guys did what you're supposed to do. You took advantage of it and got the W.
I've never seen a game where team A has 90 plays in regulation and team B never has an offensive play in the red zone in regulation but wins the game. Smh... congrats on the win.

If you rewatch, we had several receivers open. Fromm just didn't see them for some reason. He has Swift wide open on 3rd down in the 2nd overtime running towards the middle but he under threw Robertson in the right corner.

Reactions: Spursupalways
I was stunned when I learned UGA had over 468 yards of offense. Despite winning in nearly every statistical category, it seemed like nothing worked for the Dawgs all game. The turnovers were killer. Tip of the hat to SC. Stats aside, they certainly looked like the better team.
We managed to win despite wanting a lot more offense than we got. We got a few first downs after Hilinski left, but one or two of those were by way of penalty, I believe. The defense was entirely responsible for that victory - including being credited with seven of the points - more than the margin of victory.

I have no agenda against Muschamp. I’m just a dude on a message board. My opinion from day one has been that he’s a great motivator and hard worker. I love his intensity. I think he lacks creativity and doesn’t hire intelligent people because he is intimidated by them. His brand of football will only work if he has better athletes. We have no mental advantage over our opponents.

Reactions: king ward
If you rewatch, we had several receivers open. Fromm just didn't see them for some reason. He has Swift wide open on 3rd down in the 2nd overtime running towards the middle but he under threw Robertson in the right corner.

I watched that video over and over and Fromm doesn't seem to look left at all. It looks like he's made up his mind the play is to the right and he just decides which one of the 3 receivers to throw to. That's probably because he got used to people in his backfield and that clock in the head said "throw it now".

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
uga threw the ball like 52 times..how is that not testing the secondary? one thing i will throw out there, lots of people consider fromm one of the best qb's in the country ,but one stat he has suggests that he is merely a game manager. and that stat is he is 0 for 5 when he throws more than 30 times a game..so it seems if you can slow down their run game then they are in trouble
Throwing it a bunch to guys who are not open is an easy test...

Semantics. Those throws sucked. That’s not hard to defend.
What you are missing is that UGA did not have the elite speed at WR that Alabama did to get in front of our DBs. We could cover them straight up with safeties over the top. They tested our secondary the best they could, but without elite speed and our DL and LBs getting consistent penetration, Fromm didn't have a lot of truly open opportunities.

I watched that video over and over and Fromm doesn't seem to look left at all. It looks like he's made up his mind the play is to the right and he just decides which one of the 3 receivers to throw to. That's probably because he got used to people in his backfield and that clock in the head said "throw it now".

Exactly. He hadn't felt any pressure at all this year. In last year's bowl game, UTexas was able to dirty the pocket and it caused him problems. You can probably get a little too comfortable playing behind all of those 6'5" 370lb offensive linemen at times.

You are correct. And I for one have been one of the negative fans of Muschamp. I'm still not sold on him, but obviously will still enjoy the victory. However, this talk of pathways to an SEC East title after one great win is ludicrous at this point.
Debbie Downer

SC won the game by playing good defense, limiting big plays and creating turnovers. Give the guys the credit they deserve! Both the offensive and defensive lines played really well and our young secondary was able to play man coverage against the very pedestrian receivers Ga. has. Ga. had over 500 yards of offense so it is obvious terrible offense had nothing to do with the loss.

Reactions: rogue cock and PC31

Thats because Fromm is not a top QB like everyone wants to think he is. Like said in someone else's reply, he's a great game manager but he is not a top QB.

Reactions: 67gamecock
No one is in a panic. Who are "they"? Disgruntled fans? "They" exists as part of every program. Let's not forget how a large part of the SC fan base felt about Muschamp, his coaches, and the direction of the SC program as recently as Saturday morning. Now, I hear SC fans talking about the pathway to the SEC East title.
Not this fan. Muschamp is going to Muschamp.

Well, this is just wrong. They "tested" the secondary 52 times Saturday.
Yeah that is exactly what I was going to say. So for the rest of the season EVERY INTERCEPTION THROWN in every game is the offenses fault not a good defensive play?Or this only applies to our team? News flash, we had a better secondary than they had receivers. We held their rushing game in check from their usual stats. yards gained between the 20s mean nothing!

If Hilinski stayed in we would have held the ball longer, therefore they would have had less yards, less time of possession and might not have had enough time for the 96 yard drive at the end. We were the better team. We beat them straight up.

Every QB misses or doesn't see open receivers in every game. The defense has everything to do with that. He was sacked three times in one game. He was rattled, we beat him.

they are blaming Kirby, Coley who they are petitioning to fire, they want to bench Fromm, then they are saying its all Kirby's fault, no one wants to coach under him, it was fluke loss, wr's are the reason they lost, starting to name coaching candidates, etc....

man they are panicking in athens

Walking out of Sanford after one Jawa/moo-u game.......heard a classic......”those are the biggest bunch of rednecks”.........I didn’t bother to turn around, just said, self, now that’s the pot calling the kettle black

Worst thing that could happen to KY, just did.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I think they tested Izzy and the secondary, but didn’t like the results. I am sure if their Oline was better they would have had time to test the secondary more

Spurrier used to say let's get in a close game and see what we can do at the end. That's exactly what happened. UGA is guilty of not putting this one away. They got what they deserved by playing it close with a 24 point underdog.
Don’t you need to be ahead at some point to talk of putting it away

Every QB misses or doesn't see open receivers in every game. The defense has everything to do with that. He was sacked three times in one game. He was rattled, we beat him.
I'm not arguing that. Yes you did... to the victor goes the spoils. He definitely had an off day and your defense absolutely played a role in that.
3 is a stud.

funny…So why is it that every other talking head and many Georgia fans say we whipped them and deserved to win?

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
Spurrier used to say let's get in a close game and see what we can do at the end. That's exactly what happened. UGA is guilty of not putting this one away. They got what they deserved by playing it close with a 24 point underdog.

Guilty of not putting this one away? They only lead for a few minutes in the first quarter at three to nothing.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I think UGA will be just fine and win the East. This game reminded me a little of USC’s loss to Tennessee in 2013. Two costly turnovers in Tennessee territory. A missed field goal. Could run the ball, but couldn’t pass efficiently. Gave up one big passing play that really changed the game.

Just a head scratching loss that built on some of the weaknesses that weren’t properly addressed. Kirby will fix things and they will roll.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
LOL, I have enjoyed the commentary about the "granny glasses" being the new secret weapon, lol.
I am hoping along the same lines as you that all the hoopla we have heard about Muschamp being a defensive guru that maybe he has taken over calling the defenses and making adjustments.

Could it be Caslen prodding and wanting a winning team be the secret to our success?

Reactions: gamecockballfan
Yeah that is exactly what I was going to say. So for the rest of the season EVERY INTERCEPTION THROWN in every game is the offenses fault not a good defensive play?Or this only applies to our team? News flash, we had a better secondary than they had receivers. We held their rushing game in check from their usual stats. yards gained between the 20s mean nothing!

If Hilinski stayed in we would have held the ball longer, therefore they would have had less yards, less time of possession and might not have had enough time for the 96 yard drive at the end. We were the better team. We beat them straight up.
We were the better team? Was this true the first 5 games?

I am a grammar fanatic to some degree, so I am horrified to see in your quote of my thread that I used "their" instead of "there" in that context. Someone shoot me,lol.
I am, too. These tv announcers who probably took college English(only had HS English)drive me up the wall with-he's one of the better safeties in the country-which means there are only two safeties in the country or for him and I or worse for he and I. I'm certainly no English expert but I know some basic rules.:)

I was stunned when I learned UGA had over 468 yards of offense. Despite winning in nearly every statistical category, it seemed like nothing worked for the Dawgs all game. The turnovers were killer. Tip of the hat to SC. Stats aside, they certainly looked like the better team.

Really hard to win turning the ball over, what was it, 4 times. Especially when the other team doesn’t give it back to you at all.

What you are missing is that UGA did not have the elite speed at WR that Alabama did to get in front of our DBs. We could cover them straight up with safeties over the top. They tested our secondary the best they could, but without elite speed and our DL and LBs getting consistent penetration, Fromm didn't have a lot of truly open opportunities.

Kirby panicked and went away from the run, had he stayed committed to it, don’t think there was enough depth in the front 7 to stop them. Just one man’s opinion.

The dawgs had over 450 yards of offense, 300 of it through the air, so there were enough open receivers.

They just gave the ball away. SC played good enough when they needed to, the dawgs just lost the game. It happens.

You take the win and build on it, but you do it recognizing that when the other team out gains you by over 150 yards of offense, that you were fortunate to win.

If i told you at the beginning of the year that SC would only have between 270 -290 yds of offense against UNC, Mizzou and UGA, and they only win one of those games, which game did they win, you wouldn’t pick UGA.

I have seen this cycle for years. Underperform in several games and the world is crashing down, the ball bounces your way and you steal a game that on paper you shouldn’t have and we are the best thing going in college football.

The team is on a high, they have some much needed confidence. Which is good.

However, they still have an injured true freshman QB with out an effective backup going up against another top 10 team.

I think he was trying to pick on Jammie, who had the late 4th qtr hold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT