ADVERTISEMENT

UGA: Think twice before you bet on the dawgs tomorrow. Per link, at least 13 UGA players

Is there some upheaval down there? Is Kirby starting to get in trouble?
Other than the 3 Really Important Bowl Games nowadays, most Sr's and some Jr's are simply opting out of the non-important Bowl games to avoid injury by reducingreduce unnecessary risks of injury

Reactions: Lakecock1
Other than the 3 Really Important Bowl Games nowadays, most Sr's and some Jr's are simply opting out of the non-important Bowl games to avoid injury by reducingreduce unnecessary risks of injury
Which is why I favor going away from the current college football model altogether. The integrity of the term "team" has been lost. The integrity of the term "college athletics" has been lost. I wish all those players the best, but let the NFL train their own employees and let's not force those who are uninterested in the educational component of college, which is why the colleges exist, to go through a process they would just as soon forego.

I guess I’m old school, and freely admit I wasn’t talented enough to play in college, but the guys sitting out just to prepare for the NFL feels like letting down your teammates to me. I know there are always extenuating circumstances. If a guy has already been hurt several times during his college playing days I can understand a guy like that being extra cautious. Oh well, everyone has to do what they feel is best for themselves.

Reactions: Upstatebill

Next we are going to see players refuse to play certain regular season games as well. Meaningless games like Akron, Coastal, and other lower division games whose results make no difference will be targets. We also have not seen the injury lawsuits yet. Those are coming after a court president is set.

Combine those pressures on college football and add in the 40 to 50 schools who are already in the red with their athletic dept. budgets. Now we are going to pay players? College and university facility and staff in the majority of schools across the country hate college football. Because it makes money they have been powerless to make it irrelevant. But not if or when the money is scarce. The collegiate game cannot compete with the NFL. Paying players will result in the college game becoming a farm system for the NFL. Up until now college football has been played for different reasons.

College football is losing the very things that made the war babies and boomers fans. Many fans in that age group give lots of money . Folks, those guys and gals are dying. They are not being replaced.

Next we are going to see players refuse to play certain regular season games as well. Meaningless games like Akron, Coastal, and other lower division games whose results make no difference will be targets. We also have not seen the injury lawsuits yet. Those are coming after a court president is set.

Combine those pressures on college football and add in the 40 to 50 schools who are already in the red with their athletic dept. budgets. Now we are going to pay players? College and university facility and staff in the majority of schools across the country hate college football. Because it makes money they have been powerless to make it irrelevant. But not if or when the money is scarce. The collegiate game cannot compete with the NFL. Paying players will result in the college game becoming a farm system for the NFL. Up until now college football has been played for different reasons.

College football is losing the very things that made the war babies and boomers fans. Many fans in that age group give lots of money . Folks, those guys and gals are dying. They are not being replaced.

Well, thanks for announcing my death, however I agree with your post, with one exception - college football is now and has been for many years a farm system for the NFL and the pros are getting it for FREE!

Well, thanks for announcing my death, however I agree with your post, with one exception - college football is now and has been for many years a farm system for the NFL and the pros are getting it for FREE!

AGREE! I realize all pro players come from the college game, with a few exceptions. To that part I agree with you. Pro football has their roots in the college game, but IMO the quality of the players playing the college game of today and yesterday matters very little. Right now, if the SEC decided to make entrance requirements the same for all students, the overall football player quality would suffer. But, it would not effect support and stadiums would still have great Saturday crowds. I will bet the NFL would not be happy. When the most successful teams are the ones who can openly pay the most we will see an expansion of players being all about their NFL careers and play only where they can directly benefit from playing. It is a slow erosion we have been watching and we can see it progressing today and increasing when players are professionals. I believe it will split college football into two or three different games, all played for different reasons. Then I believe the pro version of college will truly be a totally free farm system. It might bring back the game that was played because it is your school and your state, played because of a great tradition or out of loyalty. I do not believe all the meaningful teams today can afford to pay players.

How do you feel about the college game splitting into semi-pro and college? The court said they could pay players, not that they have to. Suppose the ACC says, no way will we pay and the SEC says they will. Do you think it would be Vandy, Missouri and Kentucky to the ACC and Clemson, FSU and Va Tech to the SEC? Don’t you think that will split up the college game? I do.

Lots of undisclosed reasons for missing the Sugar Bowl. I wouldn't bet a nickel on UGA tonight! I think they lose straight up. Three starting OL's are OUT, back up RB, and Swift possibly out as well!

I read an article somewhere the other day that said players sitting out of Bowl games was a great argument for playoff expansion. I tend to agree.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Lots of undisclosed reasons for missing the Sugar Bowl. I wouldn't bet a nickel on UGA tonight! I think they lose straight up. Three starting OL's are OUT, back up RB, and Swift possibly out as well!
Yeah, that line went down 5 points and I would bet Baylor straight up as much as I hate Baylor and that entire program.

If the universities start paying players, I would withhold the last payment for those who won't play because they have the NFL in their eyes and have forsaken their college brothers.

And I would not let those guys who opted not to play sit on my sideline with their Georgia jerseys on like they are right now.

Getting sort of like the NBA. A group of kids go to the game to see their heroes play but find out after they get there that the player/players are taking a rest day. They are still getting paid, though, gor resting. Cut the schedule back to 60 games and maybe they won't need a rest day. Fans go to the bowl games to see the team play and a bunch of turkeys decide they are sitting out because they might get hurt (self over team) or they might stink on the field and drop their draft status.

The world is all about "what about me? I got to get mine" and it is a sad state of affairs.

Reactions: Brace1
Wonder if these guys who hold the back of the HC/coordinators pants so they dont wander off have any other responsibilities. Seem to be pretty busy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT