ADVERTISEMENT

(UPDATE. VENABLES 7 MILLION) Kiffin 7.5, Napier 7.3...Cristobal 8 (update).......Million Annually

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Contracts just today. We are seeing very quick salary compression on traditionally well paid jobs with the mega contracts. In order to consider equity, schools are renegotiating or resetting. The 7 Mill range is now the upper mid band; expect to see the more established coaches at competitive traditional powers creep up to that level.

I think Pry's almost 4 Million at Virginia Tech will become a comparative for a lot of newer coaches at not currently competitive large schools. When this sorts out, we will see 9-12 Million at the top, 7 -9 at the upper mid band, 5-7 at Mid, 3- 5 at lower mid and base will be under 3 Mill.

There will be outliers, but schools on the low side of those ranges will be scrambling to adjust in some way or manner as appropriate.

Mind you...The personal value of the coach also plays into the salary as you know. But, we seldom see changes in quality lower salary; we often see such quality raise salaries. Failing coaches get fired, and bought out. But changes will come there perhaps; that's for another discussion.

• Wow
Reactions: rogue cock
I’d expect that to keep climbing, in part to NIL. If the NIL money keeps climbing, it would be tough to have an 18yo freshman making close to what your coordinators and HC is making.

Reactions: fowl_mood
Paying Beamer less than $4mil was stupidly shortsighted. I don't care what you have to tie in or reduce the buyout to.

How do you expect recruits to buy into a coach when the administration doesn't even think they deserve an average SEC salary?
Not saying that is not a good point. But, that's what you get when you hire an unknown commodity, so to speak, as a Head Coach. And objectively speaking, I saw nothing this year to tell me that Beamer can get the job done. We were often blown out, barely beat mid-major teams and had no earthquake wins (and Florida and Auburn were both so down this year, they fired coaches after the season).

Look at what Kiffin and Napier have done as Head Coaches. They deserve their pay and that level of confidence from their employers. I was in Gainesville the last few days. Those people are super psyched over the Napier hire. And they should be.

Just from a quick search, and the numbers could be a bit off, but look at Heupel and Harsin’s contracts. Heupel was at 4 mil and Harsin 5 mil.

No way Napier has done anything to command that money. But this puts other schools, especially UT on the clock. And if Beamer has a better year next year will start putting pressure on Tanner….
Not saying that is not a good point. But, that's what you get when you hire an unknown commodity, so to speak, as a Head Coach. And objectively speaking, I saw nothing this year to tell me that Beamer can get the job done. We were often blown out, barely beat mid-major teams and had no earthquake wins (and Florida and Auburn were both so down this year, they fired coaches after the season).

Look at what Kiffin and Napier have done as Head Coaches. They deserve their pay and that level of confidence from their employers. I was in Gainesville the last few days. Those people are super psyched over the Napier hire. And they should be.
What exactly has Napier done? He isn’t a 7 mil coach yet. Sure the job he has done is to be applauded, but hey I guess that’s the marketplace and Florida was willing to pay him that

Reactions: tngamecock#
Waiting to see the Venables contract. That will be telling regarding employment of assistant coaches. I'm betting it will be 6 to 7 million.

As for Beamer, I think that 2.75 will be adjusted a bit. Since retention seems to be driving a lot of this activity, I suspect his little dalliance with OK might give Ray the cover to tweak him into the low side of that 3 to 5 range with a one year extension. Or, maybe not. But, he's a tad low.

How does he not get credit for beating auburn and Florida?

They have higher rated players and a higher paid coaching staff. Down year or not they were still double digit favorites to beat us. That's how bad we were expected to be.

They have higher rated players and a higher paid coaching staff. Down year or not they were still double digit favorites to beat us. That's how bad we were expected to be.

Not saying not to applaud him for those wins. But you have to look at the total picture. We were modest underdog to Tennessee and got blown out. We were heavy favorite over Vanderbilt and had to come from behind to barely win. We were 19.5 points underdog to Texas A&M and lost by 30. We were favored to beat Missouri but, lost. We were modest underdog to clemson but, got blown out. And that doesn't include our games with the mid-majors. Yes, applaud the Florida and Auburn wins. BUT, look at the TOTAL picture. And its not like we didn't have talent. We did as Muschamp tended to bring in Top 20 classes. And attrition was not confined to South Carolina.

Just from a quick search, and the numbers could be a bit off, but look at Heupel and Harsin’s contracts. Heupel was at 4 mil and Harsin 5 mil.

No way Napier has done anything to command that money. But this puts other schools, especially UT on the clock. And if Beamer has a better year next year will start putting pressure on Tanner….

What exactly has Napier done? He isn’t a 7 mil coach yet. Sure the job he has done is to be applauded, but hey I guess that’s the marketplace and Florida was willing to pay him that
I understand your point. But I guess they saw where he has coached before and under who, looked at the job he has done at ULL and determined he is worth it. I can tell you for a fact that the Gator fans I spoke to in the past few days in the Sunshine state were not complaining.

The two names mentioned were not welcome here by most of our fans on this board....via whatever individual reasoning. I still have no idea why. Thank god Joe Morrison wasn't looking at the USC job in 2020 or else he would've been deemed a non-preacher and 86d from thought by many of our brood.

They knew who they wanted and were not going to let anything stop them from getting their man.
Obviously. Honestly, if that’s what it was going to take to get Napier last season, I’m glad we didn’t pay him. That’s way too much. He’s a 4-5 million a year guy for a few years. The $ has always been crazy, but what we’re getting to now is flat out insane.

I love sports. But man…billions go into our entertainment while families go hungry. Mel Tucker’s 9.5 million a year will be a disaster for them. I get a guy like Saban and even a guy like Riley. But man…that’s a lot of $$ that could backfire.

Reactions: Neanderthal
Not saying not to applaud him for those wins. But you have to look at the total picture. We were modest underdog to Tennessee and got blown out. We were heavy favorite over Vanderbilt and had to come from behind to barely win. We were 19.5 points underdog to Texas A&M and lost by 30. We were favored to beat Missouri but, lost. We were modest underdog to clemson but, got blown out. And that doesn't include our games with the mid-majors. Yes, applaud the Florida and Auburn wins. BUT, look at the TOTAL picture. And its not like we didn't have talent. We did as Muschamp tended to bring in Top 20 classes. And attrition was not confined to South Carolina.
So you take points away for things you don’t like. But don’t give points for things we shouldn’t have done. It’s sad how he’s not getting a fair shake with some of y’all. He is in a lose lose situation.

I'm going to continually edit this reply with new hire/extension salaries as I find them just to inform the thread:

Jake Dickert.....Washington State....Assistant promotion...2.7 annually

Sonny Dykes....TCU...Former SMU Head coach....estimated 5 M annually

Joey McQuire....Texas Tech......Texas High School Coach primarily....3.35 M annually

Kalen Deboer....Washington....Fresno State Coach....3.35 M

Hugh Freeze...Liberty...."north" of 4 M annually

PJ Fleck....Minnesota.....5 M annually

Last edited:
Obviously. Honestly, if that’s what it was going to take to get Napier last season, I’m glad we didn’t pay him. That’s way too much. He’s a 4-5 million a year guy for a few years. The $ has always been crazy, but what we’re getting to now is flat out insane.

I love sports. But man…billions go into our entertainment while families go hungry. Mel Tucker’s 9.5 million a year will be a disaster for them. I get a guy like Saban and even a guy like Riley. But man…that’s a lot of $$ that could backfire.
Don't think Riley is worth his pay. I'm hopeful on Beamer and think he can succeed if he has a competent staff. By the way, Chadwell makes about $900 k I think. Probably could have gotten him for what we pay Beamer. But Shane is our guy now. Have to hope he learned a lot this year.

It wasn't that much....that is Florida's situation....but it was around double his UL salary.

Contracts just today. We are seeing very quick salary compression on traditionally well paid jobs with the mega contracts. In order to consider equity, schools are renegotiating or resetting. The 7 Mill range is now the upper mid band; expect to see the more established coaches at competitive traditional powers creep up to that level.

I think Pry's almost 4 Million at Virginia Tech will become a comparative for a lot of newer coaches at not currently competitive large schools. When this sorts out, we will see 9-12 Million at the top, 7 -9 at the upper mid band, 5-7 at Mid, 3- 5 at lower mid and base will be under 3 Mill.

There will be outliers, but schools on the low side of those ranges will be scrambling to adjust in some way or manner as appropriate.

Mind you...The personal value of the coach also plays into the salary as you know. But, we seldom see changes in quality lower salary; we often see such quality raise salaries. Failing coaches get fired, and bought out. But changes will come there perhaps; that's for another discussion.

Truly incredible. If its market driven and results based….Saban should be making $20M/yr.

So you take points away for things you don’t like. But don’t give points for things we shouldn’t have done. It’s sad how he’s not getting a fair shake with some of y’all. He is in a lose lose situation.
When someone asked to grade him, I gave him a solid B, 85 to be exact. That doesn't exempt him from criticism. I said 4-5 wins prior to the season. I said he exceeded my expectations. But, that doesn't mean we played well in all 6 wins. You can't look at the games against mid-majors East Carolina and Troy nor against Vandy and say we played well. In retrospect, we played well against Kentucky. The Georgia game was Georgia being as good as they are. But even Texas A&M....have we ever had a worse offensive performance? Our losses against Missouri, Tennessee, Clemson, we looked BAD. I try to be fair. That's why I gave him an 85, which is a good grade. But, you have to look at the whole picture with an honest lens. Maybe the B I gave him was bending over backwards, grading on a "curve".... not sure. I try to be fair and give only what I believe is constructive criticism while simultaneously giving him what I believe is a fair grade. Now, I'm no teacher. But, it seems like some of you seem to want to overlook the weaknesses and just pat him on the back, no matter what. That's not how I was treated in school nor in the work world. If you care about your employees or whoever, you have to be candid with them, while at the same time not breaking them down.

When someone asked to grade him, I gave him a solid B, 85 to be exact. That doesn't exempt him from criticism. I said 4-5 wins prior to the season. I said he exceeded my expectations. But, that doesn't mean we played well in all 6 wins. You can't look at the games against mid-majors East Carolina and Troy nor against Vandy and say we played well. In retrospect, we played well against Kentucky. The Georgia game was Georgia being as good as they are. But even Texas A&M....have we ever had a worse offensive performance? Our losses against Missouri, Tennessee, Clemson, we looked BAD. I try to be fair. That's why I gave him an 85, which is a good grade. But, you have to look at the whole picture with an honest lens. Maybe the B I gave him was bending over backwards, grading on a "curve".... not sure. I try to be fair and give only what I believe is constructive criticism while simultaneously giving him what I believe is a fair grade. Now, I'm no teacher. But, it seems like some of you seem to want to overlook the weaknesses and just pat him on the back, no matter what. That's not how I was treated in school nor in the work world. If you care about your employees or whoever, you have to be candid with them, while at the same time not breaking them down.
Nope. We had no business beating auburn or Florida. But we did. We should’ve been closer to Ut. We can’t compete with clemson. Most teams can’t. That’s it

And that's (Florida and Auburn) why I gave him a grade of "B". But that doesn't exempt him from criticism for being blown out and shut out at home to the worst clemson team in years, nor the debacles at Tennessee, Missouri and Texas A&M

Now we wait for Venables, and Oregon' replacement. So far the new hire/extensions are estimated to be as follows and I will dig up a few more when I get time. Just doing it to sort of get a feel for where we are heading....or where we are. And where Beamer is from an equity standpoint. The USA. Today data is old. If you know of others add to the thread.

Yes, Tanner will have to deal with it sooner or later or we look disinterested in investing in our program. Beamer is at 2.75.

Of course, Tucker at MSU at 9.5, Franklin at PSU at around 8 and Kelly at LSU at 9.5....

Jake Dickert.....Washington State....Assistant promotion...2.7 M annually

Sonny Dykes....TCU...Former SMU Head coach....estimated 5 M annually

Joey McQuire....Texas Tech......Texas High School Coach primarily....3.35 M annually

Kalen Deboer....Washington....Fresno State Coach....3.35 M annually

Hugh Freeze...Liberty ext...."north" of 4 M annually

PJ Fleck....Minnesota ext.....5 M annually

Johnathan Smith...Oregon State....ext...3.75 annually over 6 years

Mike Houston.....East Carolina...ext...2.3 M annually

Jay Norvell.....Colorado State....former Nevada coach...1.8 M annually

Joe Moorehead..Akron..former Miss St Coach, Oregon OC....$500,000 annually

Last edited:
The market may just force a raise for Beamer. If Tucker is worth $9 million/yr with a .548 win percentage, what should a .500 record be worth?

Everything is tiered. I agree few coaches are worth what they're paid these days. BUT....Napier is obviously a sought after talent.
If Napier isn't a 7 million coach based off his 77% win percentage in a tough, lower level league...then we should've paid Shane Beamer $46,500 per year plus medical and dental.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Paying Beamer less than $4mil was stupidly shortsighted. I don't care what you have to tie in or reduce the buyout to.

How do you expect recruits to buy into a coach when the administration doesn't even think they deserve an average SEC salary?
School offered more. Beamer negotiated this smaller amount so he could have more money to hire assistant coaches. If school has not up held their end of the bargain, Beamer has to let this be known.

Reactions: bashby33
The market may just force a raise for Beamer. If Tucker is worth $9 million/yr with a .548 win percentage, what should a .500 record be worth?
Or, what is a coach worth who won as many games in his first year as the team won the previous two years? IMO, it's worth a raise, and, probably given what is going on, a larger raise than usual, but not an extension.

But if we didn't pay him that little, some morons on this site insist they won't watch this game.

Reactions: bashby33
Anybody know what David Cuttcliff made at Duke? I would be clamoring for that job if I were a decent coach...win 6-7 games per year, get a low-mid grade bowl and you're set for life...

Who is Duke looking at right now?

Texas has started a non profit Horns OF HEARTS that will pay each and every OL 50k per year through the new NIL...

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a dangerous road you go down when you start basing big-time financial decisions on the perceptions of 17 and 18 year old kids.

Anybody know what David Cuttcliff made at Duke? I would be clamoring for that job if I were a decent coach...win 6-7 games per year, get a low-mid grade bowl and you're set for life...

Who is Duke looking at right now?
He was making 2.7 M in 2019. I imagine Duke will pay 3 M for their next coach. More than SC. Let that sink in. The landscape has changed in one year....greatly.

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a dangerous road you go down when you start basing big-time financial decisions on the perceptions of 17 and 18 year old kids.

We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars just to impress 17 and 18 year Olds. I mean that's really the only reason we do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT