ADVERTISEMENT

(UPDATE. VENABLES 7 MILLION) Kiffin 7.5, Napier 7.3...Cristobal 8 (update).......Million Annually

The market may just force a raise for Beamer. If Tucker is worth $9 million/yr with a .548 win percentage, what should a .500 record be worth?
Given the great start, their may have been a lot of interest out there in acquiring the services of Tucker. We just don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes. Today, Venables claimed he turned down the Auburn job last year. I think that's the first public acknowledgement of that. If Venables is successful at OU and Auburn comes calling again, imaging the leverage Venables will have for a better pay day at OU or AU. And, as far as I can tell, this is the sort of leverage Beamer isn't willing to use at this point in his tenure here. He seems content with what he has and seems to want to earn better pay days with results on the field. Kudos to him for not being out for the highest bidder and instead focusing on being a success here.

Obviously. Honestly, if that’s what it was going to take to get Napier last season, I’m glad we didn’t pay him. That’s way too much. He’s a 4-5 million a year guy for a few years. The $ has always been crazy, but what we’re getting to now is flat out insane.

I love sports. But man…billions go into our entertainment while families go hungry. Mel Tucker’s 9.5 million a year will be a disaster for them. I get a guy like Saban and even a guy like Riley. But man…that’s a lot of $$ that could backfire.
One thing for Sure, You will never have to worry about The University of SC paying a Great Coach a High Salary, especially with Tanner in Charge.

School offered more. Beamer negotiated this smaller amount so he could have more money to hire assistant coaches. If school has not up held their end of the bargain, Beamer has to let this be known.
I am not the One to tell you, You are Right or Wrong. But Beamer doesn't seem Like the Personality Type to do what your saying.

I am not the One to tell you, You are Right or Wrong. But Beamer doesn't seem Like the Personality Type to do what your saying.
I agree with that. But I think he should let it be known if the school's end of the bargain didn't come through.

. If Venables is successful at OU and Auburn comes calling again, imaging the leverage Venables will have for a better pay day at OU or AU.
I understand the point you are making here, but you don't leave a destination job like OU to go to Auburn. AU is fine, but they are not a destination job.

We've spent hundreds of millions of dollars just to impress 17 and 18 year Olds. I mean that's really the only reason we do it.
All of those facilities have intrinsic value on their own. While we certainly hope they impress recruits, if that is our sole purpose in building them, we haven't gotten a very high return on investment.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Everything is tiered. I agree few coaches are worth what they're paid these days. BUT....Napier is obviously a sought after talent.
If Napier isn't a 7 million coach based off his 77% win percentage in a tough, lower level league...then we should've paid Shane Beamer $46,500 per year plus medical and dental.
Franklin, albeit a 10 year contract, is going to get paid 7 mil/year. Scott Frost took UCF from 0-12 to 12-0 and a self proclaimed Natty! Nebraska pulled a genius move that restructured his contract to pay him 4mil, down from 5 mil and cut his buyout in half.
If that win % spanned longer than 3 years I’d be more impressed. Plenty of coaches catch fire in a bottle in those lower tiers. All a crapshoot anyway.
But again if Florida wants to pay him that much, that’s on them. Sort of envious we aren’t at that point where we have that kind of money to blow and willingness to spend.

Reactions: fowl_mood
That’s less than 2.5x his old salary.

Looks like we overpaid Beamer when we gave him a 5x increase on his salary
I think they were worried more about salary equity with other head coaches than a multiplier. But, that was something for him to think about because the accountability goes up about 10x.

Beamer now, us underpaid. But that's typical as time goes in and change spirals rapidly.

I think they were worried more about salary equity with other head coaches than a multiplier. But, that was something for him to think about because the accountability goes up about 10x.

Beamer now, us underpaid. But that's typical as time goes in and change spirals rapidly.

It's so weird you want to give him a raise just because instead of having him actually earn it.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It's so weird you want to give him a raise just because instead of having him actually earn it.
What you are seeing now is alignment of salaries based on something called salary equity. Yes, these are successful coaches, but where they are placed in any market is based on equity. This is how institutions remain competitive internally and externally. In a dynamic market which is well funded, which this is, getting out of line will eventually cost you.

The merit, or performance components of contracts, is often in bonuses or even extensions, or as you note, salary increases for performance. But that's not what we are talking about with Beamer here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT