ADVERTISEMENT

USC 38 clemson 16

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Baseball on this date in 1997.
Back then you had to listen to wccp clemson station in the upstate. Jim Phillips just stopped calling the game for the most part.

It rained up until about 15-30 minutes before first pitch. Neither team was able to take BP nor infield. It was 6-5 us at the end of the first. We scored every inning, the nail in the coffin being the 12 run 5th. We used 3 pitchers. Clemson used 8. Our 9 hole hitter went yard twice, and took it to the track a 3rd time. Our entire lineup got a hit that night, except for PH/RF Adam Poe.

We had a lot of fun that night, after the game was over.

I still have my "Hit the Road Jack" shirt that the team had made after that game.

LOL, you would hear the bat hit the ball. And Jim Phillips wouldnt say anything. And then after seriously around 10 to 15 seconds, he would say another run for the Gamecocks. I will never forget

LOL, you would hear the bat hit the ball. And Jim Phillips wouldnt say anything. And then after seriously around 10 to 15 seconds, he would say another run for the Gamecocks. I will never forget
I always loved the way Jim Phillips called games. He, Mr. Fulton, and Larry Munson are an extinct breed. Mike comes close. At one point you just had to sit back and laugh at the spectacle before you. Clemson was loaded with power guys back then too, who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn (from inside the barn) that night.

It was a great night at the ballpark. I'll never forget it.

It was shameful how Leggett coached in that game. Beforehand he publically said that the game had no importance and that he would not waste any pitcher who had any chance of pitching in the weekend ACC series. He threw walkons and the absolute bottom of his staff. He was trying to denigrate Ray and our program. My only regret is we did not put fifty on them

Reactions: Lakecock1
I always loved the way Jim Phillips called games. He, Mr. Fulton, and Larry Munson are an extinct breed. Mike comes close. At one point you just had to sit back and laugh at the spectacle before you. Clemson was loaded with power guys back then too, who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn (from inside the barn) that night.

It was a great night at the ballpark. I'll never forget it.
Mike would have been a legend here.

Well, ask Liz McMillan why she ran him off? Something about offending sponsors? I heard the real reason had to do with the whole ‘Burn Lounge’ debacle that got Rob Deboer removed from his sideline reporter position.

It’s disgusting that she’s still here. The treatment of Mike was inexplicable. The treatment of Bob was unforgivable. Hopefully her decades long career at usc is nearing an end.

Attended that game as well. Going into it, if someone had told me Clemson would put up 16 runs that night, I probably would have opted not to attend. Crazy... take away our 12 run 5th inning and we still won by ten runs.

Tanner owned Leggett. This was the first salvo in what must have been a soul-crushing run of losses for Leggett versus Tanner. I don't even know what their overall head to head record was - Leggett may have led. But Tanner won when it counted. Knocking them out of Omaha in 2002 and 2010 are golden memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT