ADVERTISEMENT

USC/Vandy game thread.

He coaches at SC...heck, he recruited and signed the best player SC has had in 20 years.
You are not going to recruit consistently top tier players at SC, and you're not getting a better coach than Martin

I'll admit I'm not a huge bball follower, and if I'm wrong you can feel free to correct me, but I've always believed Thornwell came here because of Mike Boynton's efforts.

Free throws.

God help us. Games are won our lost at the free throw line. IIRC our 1st round NBA guard was 1 for 8 at one point last night.

I could bounce them in from the line at a higher percentage.

Deja Vu all over again.

Nobody cares about the dumpster fire, he inherited 5 years ago. This is now and if he doesn't turn it around it will be back to back choke jobs by him and his team. Plus, why would anybody think we will be a 500 or better team next year without Thornwell?

HS players don't get excited about watching our style of play IMO. I think that does play a role. Fans are upset because we started season well 2 years in a row only to go into a tailspin late. Hope we can turn it around but at Fla is going to be very difficult.

The sooner SC fans realize their program should be happy with a few 20 win seasons here and there and an appearance in the NCAA tourney every 1-3 years or so, the sooner some fans will enjoy the seasons more

Martin has won 45 games in less than 2 years and a loud minority is not happy

Let me be clear, I am not unhappy with Martin or our team. They have indeed surpassed expectations.

But there are frustrations when we see winnable games squandered away in the last 5 mins. My questions all revolve around strategy ...

... like with 1:45 to go, down by 10, you let Vandy run 30 secs off the clock ... then foul. I get trying to get a turnover first, but we were already gassed. Vandy had it going, and were whipping the ball around like a baseball. We let that happen on 2 possessions and they drained over a min off the clock, then we started fouling. That just makes no sense.

Our bench players may not be that good, but our top 6-7 players cannot last a whole game when other teams are deeper than we are. We're gonna have to take our chances that our bench can keep us in games while our top 6-7 get a breather. Otherwise, we're gonna lose games in the last 5 mins more than we should.

PJ is a good player, but he is not healthy it seems, but fans get no explaination.

Why is our #1 in the nation 3 defense getting killed recently, while we cannot seem to hit any? We had 1 (3 pointer) vs Vandy when the game had already been decided.

Why do we pass up open 3's to drive the basket and get to the FT line when we can't shoot FT's very well? I'd rather see us taking our chances on 3's than go to the line and miss the front end of a 1-1 with the game on the line.

I have not heard this, but others have said that our spre-game shootarounds are very intense, almost like a practice. What is the point of that if your team is too gassed to finish games.

Why do you only play 7 players in a 4 OT game?

These are just questions, and it is frustrating to see this happening with no explaination ... even if we did not expect the success that has been achieved so far.

I do believe that Dozier is playing with a serious injury. Last night he got the ball on a 3 on 1 fast break and should have been able to dunk the heck out of it. He layed it in and looked awkward doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT