ADVERTISEMENT

USC's stadium project

gamecockengineer2011

Mar 29, 2012
I wasnt able to tune in for the press conference... but whats been released so far sounds so vague that even they arent sure what they are going to do. Just sounded like a bunch of BS buzz words.

I was hoping they were going to work on the football stadium some more and improve the general admission fan experience. Maybe redo bathrooms, add concessions, or replace the benches with individual seats so the fatasses around you dont spill over into your seat when you stand up.

I guess we get to get fired up about more parking lots.

It sounds like they are looking into buying up lots of land around the stadium and emphasized land only to have other activities on during the year. So probably the fair grounds. And mentioned upgrading/adding to the luxury suites inside the stadium. When asked about upgrading other areas and regular seating. Ray looked puzzled (insert awkward 10 second stare) and said something is planned for the peasant sections also.

So what I get is they are buying land and not totally sure what they are going to do with it yet. And revamp the suites.

Last edited:
It sounds like they are looking into buying up lots of land around the stadium and emphasized land only to have other activities on during the year. So probably the fair grounds. And mentioned upgrading/adding to the luxury suites inside the stadium. When asked about upgrading other areas and regular seating. Ray looked puzzled (insert awkward 10 second stare) and said something is planned for the peasant sections also.

So what I get is they are buying land and not totally sure what they are going to do with it yet. And revamp the suites.
They are mainly talking about several hundred acres they already control. And as for the OP's take, he is correct. We really don't have a plan; we have a plan for a plan.

• Haha
Reactions: bucketdad
Fat asses will only continue to grow. Watch the movie Wall-E. I digress. The University has been trying to own all the land in Columbia for a long time. They have a ton of money to throw away. I imagine whatever it is isn't going to appeal to the large masses. The whole carolina walk screwed me with my lifelong parking. I have fond memories of tailgating in the Farmers Market with my father. Tallyho was where my parents tailgating and when I was in college with my fraternity. At least they partitioned the mens piss trough after a half century.

Reactions: Cybercock
South Carolina is talking about spending Manhattan Project kind of money. Two areas of interest is west of the Long Family Football Operations Center and areas around the Colonial Life Arena. No time frame set. Relocation of football stadium and buying the fairgrounds is not on agenda.

Even though fairgrounds not a topic at this time II think South Carolina should have a plaque made at the State Fairgrounds Rocket that states " Many separated families have united here".

south-carolina-state-fair-grounds-columbia-sc-120356522.jpg

Reactions: cockofdawn
I believe the 847 acres they are referring to is property they bought several years ago on the river extending down towards Heathwood Hall School. It's in a flood plain area.

Reactions: Robhawk29
The Bluff Road Blight will continue in perpetuity. My great grandchildren will come and go and the Bluff Road Blight is all they will ever know.

You can bet whatever they do it will all be meant to attract the deep-pocket folks, which in turn will only add increased costs for everyone.
I still trying to figure what this about. I think I read somewhere today that they want something that is similar to what surrounds Truist park, however I have never been to the Braves stadium so I do not know what they are referring to.

You can bet whatever they do it will all be meant to attract the deep-pocket folks, which in turn will only add increased costs for everyone.

Gotta love they're going to artificially decrease capacity in order to raise prices.

I still trying to figure what this about. I think I read somewhere today that they want something that is similar to what surrounds Truist park, however I have never been to the Braves stadium so I do not know what they are referring to.

It's just a mixed-use entertainment district like the vista.

I'm not sure how Columbia can support yet another entertainment district.

That video was as vapid as the "announcement" was today. That isn't to say that big things won't happen. That is to say that there needed to be more to show before putting on this embarrassing and frustrating exhibition.

That video was as vapid as the "announcement" was today. That isn't to say that big things won't happen. That is to say that there needed to be more to show before putting on this embarrassing and frustrating exhibition.

The way they're hyping it, they're making it look like the contractor has already been decided and this is just a legal sham. Going to make an interesting case if someone protests the contract.

The way they're hyping it, they're making it look like the contractor has already been decided and this is just a legal sham. Going to make an interesting case if someone protests the contract.
I think that more has been thrashed out than they are saying and the legalities are being added. I just don't see why you stage a spectacle with no more to show than was shown today. They should have waited until there was specific information to report.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
So many great points in this thread:
1. More luxury seating is coming.
2. I Hate “The Battery” concept. Braves baseball has at least 82 home games. Recently more with playoffs. Then throw in Braves fest, concerts, etc…and the Battery is getting used a ton. Going to have to be really creative to stretch that from 7-8 home games a year (including the Spring game here) to get more.
3. I’m not sure most of us tend to want to hit up restaurants before the game, we tend to tailgate. That sounds more like a UNC whine and cheese crowd.
4. Hyping up a project and providing so little info was really dumb. Who is really excited at this point? Maybe if you’re sitting on a trust fund and have tons of money to throw at tickets.
5. Not only are we going to increase suites but we are going to continue to decrease the size of the stadium and artificially limit supply by continuing to shrink our stadium. Let’s just knock the upper deck down and become Vandy with a nicer lower deck.

Reactions: uscwatson21
So many great points in this thread:
1. More luxury seating is coming.
2. I Hate “The Battery” concept. Braves baseball has at least 82 home games. Recently more with playoffs. Then throw in Braves fest, concerts, etc…and the Battery is getting used a ton. Going to have to be really creative to stretch that from 7-8 home games a year (including the Spring game here) to get more.
3. I’m not sure most of us tend to want to hit up restaurants before the game, we tend to tailgate. That sounds more like a UNC whine and cheese crowd.
4. Hyping up a project and providing so little info was really dumb. Who is really excited at this point? Maybe if you’re sitting on a trust fund and have tons of money to throw at tickets.
5. Not only are we going to increase suites but we are going to continue to decrease the size of the stadium and artificially limit supply by continuing to shrink our stadium. Let’s just knock the upper deck down and become Vandy with a nicer lower deck.
Game attendance has been trending downward in the last few years

Game attendance has been trending downward in the last few years
I won’t disagree with that, but you also have to acknowledge the absolute $hit show this program was for the last few years and has just recently pulled its way out.

I was at the 2019 Taters game (among others) but I didn’t blame people for selling their tickets or not buying. The product was flat out unwatchable, embarrassing and not very enjoyable.

Not to mention Mother Nature hasn’t been kind to us lately. There have been a few tropical storms, hurricanes, floods, etc…and games moved up or back. Those factors have to be accounted for as well.

The Bluff Road Blight will continue in perpetuity. My great grandchildren will come and go and the Bluff Road Blight is all they will ever know.

I think the area between the stadium and I-77 is sort of secondary if the area right around the stadium- and the area between Cap City stadium and Williams Brice on Assembly was re-developed.

The train tracks will have to be put over the road (as the city has talked about for years). A lot could be done with that area that would draw folks.

The train tracks present a problem- but also an opportunity.

The focus has to be on businesses and such that can draw people regardless of gameday.

2 of those years were COVID restrictions years.
I think it was only the 2020 season where the maximum capacity could be 25000 per game or something like that. I think each stadium had a different maximum number. I remember Texas A&M disregarding that rule as their stadium looked full when they played Florida that season.

The 2021 season was more like do you feel safe to go to the games and there might been a masking requirement inside stadium, but not sure.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
No need to knock any part of stadium down to reduce capacity. I think they should remove the aluminum bleachers for seats with cushion (see picture below).

UNC-Kenan-6151_dd6b784f2b91c12352bf1741870b18db.jpg

Also have the east and west sections seats in garnet color with "GAME" painted in the west upper deck seats and "COCKS" on the east upper deck seats. Something similar in picture below.

cb39187d6bd143d9e811c5d3146644bb.jpg

The south lower end zone seats painting shall have gamecock logo on the white surrounded by garnet.

south_carolina_gamecocks_logo_secondary_19838669.png

The north end zone should have blue seats with the white crescent moon with the palmetto tree

Flag_of_South_Carolina.svg

On a different note. I think the pre entrance and entrance of the South Carolina football team against Tennessee last season was the best entrance ever due to the light show. That was masterful.

Maybe more information will come out during the spring game?

Cushioned seats don't hold up well when they get full of little holes and it rains.

Also, if the seats are cushioned does that mean no standing? I know there's an anti-standing (yer blockin my view!) contingent out there.

Last edited:
So true. However, it’s my understanding that due to rising costs to attend a game, especially in the last 10-15 years, has been a reason
I can’t speak for everyone but certainly on a teachers salary the more they kept upping it the less I could continue to give. I certainly picked the wrong profession as far as pay keeping up with inflation.

But there were other factors. The older I get the more I have to consider my kids and their commitments. I was going to the bowl game, but I ended up having to have surgery and that made it impossible to attend.

It doesn’t help when it’s 120 degrees for a September (Georgia, Charleston Southern) game for TV. We’ve had several games moved due to hurricanes (SC State and Georgia) and we’ve played a couple in terrestrial downpours (Missouri, Akron, Florida). Those games are just recent ones where attendance was drastically altered by factors where most will bow out.

Plus I just would rather sit home and watch some great games instead of spending an entire day to watch us whip Eastern Illinois. I love the Gamecocks, but I also enjoy watching great games with other teams.

I still go a lot but there are times where no matter how great the atmosphere is I’m not going….and I used to go to 10 or more a season. Home and road games.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I can’t speak for everyone but certainly on a teachers salary the more they kept upping it the less I could continue to give. I certainly picked the wrong profession as far as pay keeping up with inflation.

But there were other factors. The older I get the more I have to consider my kids and their commitments. I was going to the bowl game, but I ended up having to have surgery and that made it impossible to attend.

It doesn’t help when it’s 120 degrees for a September (Georgia, Charleston Southern) game for TV. We’ve had several games moved due to hurricanes (SC State and Georgia) and we’ve played a couple in terrestrial downpours (Missouri, Akron, Florida). Those games are just recent ones where attendance was drastically altered by factors where most will bow out.

Plus I just would rather sit home and watch some great games instead of spending an entire day to watch us whip Eastern Illinois. I love the Gamecocks, but I also enjoy watching great games with other teams.

I still go a lot but there are times where no matter how great the atmosphere is I’m not going….and I used to go to 10 or more a season. Home and road games.
Speaking of terrestrial downpours 😂, how many of you remember the hurricane game against NC State?

I think the area between the stadium and I-77 is sort of secondary if the area right around the stadium- and the area between Cap City stadium and Williams Brice on Assembly was re-developed.

The train tracks will have to be put over the road (as the city has talked about for years). A lot could be done with that area that would draw folks.

The train tracks present a problem- but also an opportunity.

The focus has to be on businesses and such that can draw people regardless of gameday.
The Bluff Road Blight is the ugliest detraction from any college stadium I have ever visited, and there have been quite a few of them.

Speaking of terrestrial downpours 😂, how many of you remember the hurricane game against NC State?
I was there. Best hope for a win that season. Although I’ll still say the home game against East Carolina when Brad Scott was coach was the worst ever.

I also meant to say torrential but evidently the iPhone thinks it was a rain sent by ET….LOL

Reactions: bayrooster
Sure hope they don’t take my South Upper seats away. Been there 25+ years. Sounds like they will. If so, that’s when I’ll hang up the season tix. I like my peasant seats .

I was there. Best hope for a win that season. Although I’ll still say the home game against East Carolina when Brad Scott was coach was the worst ever.

I also meant to say torrential but evidently the iPhone thinks it was a rain sent by ET….LOL
👍 I figured as much. I hate autocorrect.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The Bluff Road Blight is the ugliest detraction from any college stadium I have ever visited, and there have been quite a few of them.

No doubt but I think we focus on it more because we see it more. It could use some work but it's not going to change because it works well for the industrial and commercial types of businesses in that area.

Several years ago a former coworker of mine was in town from Nashville. I drove him around the area and the stadium and campus, even got out and walked around the stadium some. He thought it was nice - didn't even mention the Bluff Rd stuff. Ended up buying a Gamecock hat.

I hate it as well. Turned "inconvenience" into "incontinence". Embarrassing. I turned it off. You know you can do that?
I did not, but I probably should turn it off and as much as I complain about it the autocorrect helps out more than it takes away….but every now and then it is embarrassing

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I did not, but I probably should turn it off and as much as I complain about it the autocorrect helps out more than it takes away….but every now and then it is embarrassing
I turned it off because of the frequency of words being suggested that weren't correct. I know it takes longer to type out a reply without it, but I think people can deal with the occasional typo versus 100% wrong words that could be interpreted in VERY different ways. 😬

No doubt but I think we focus on it more because we see it more. It could use some work but it's not going to change because it works well for the industrial and commercial types of businesses in that area.

Several years ago a former coworker of mine was in town from Nashville. I drove him around the area and the stadium and campus, even got out and walked around the stadium some. He thought it was nice - didn't even mention the Bluff Rd stuff. Ended up buying a Gamecock hat.
I've been seeing it for most of my 72 years. I think that much exposure would repulse even him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT