ADVERTISEMENT

Vacationing about 10 houses from Spurriers"s beach house

usc#11

Oct 4, 2001
I was wondering today what I would say to him if I ran into him on the beach. I spoke to him a few times during his coaching days here. I would like to be respectful due to the 5 in a row over Clemson and the 3 great seasons but I would love to ask him why he left us with so little talent. What would you say to him in that situation? Just curious.
Go Gamecocks!!!

Reactions: jfdubya
In all honesty, if it were me, I just wouldn't even speak to him. As much as I'm ticked-off at him for the way he left us, it just wouldn't be classy to say what I feel. No real point in that. I'd just think to myself, "oh wow; there's Spurrier." And keep walking.

You won't get an answer to your question. Asking him that invites a pissing contest. He could participate, but he won't, or he could kindly dismiss your question and be on his way. I suspect he'd do the latter.

Ckempson should start cheating at baseball, basketball , both men's and women's.

I think we all just need to realize that Spurrier did exactly what he said he was going to do. He said 6 years ago that when he felt he could no longer compete, he was out. Ultimately, it was his comments about 2-3 more years that were his undoing. We needed a HC in waiting that was well loved before making that kind of statement. As soon as he said it without one, we started losing recruits because other schools made them feel like our system would change by the time they graduated. Once recruiting went down hill, Spurrier didn't have the patience for another rebuild, so he quit.

We also need to remember that Spurrier is an arrogant son of a b!+ch but he was ours. He helped us win 42 games in 4 years, win 5 in a row vs Clemson, play for an SEC Championship, etc. No reason to hold ill feelings. We had a good run.

I was wondering today what I would say to him if I ran into him on the beach. I spoke to him a few times during his coaching days here. I would like to be respectful due to the 5 in a row over Clemson and the 3 great seasons but I would love to ask him why he left us with so little talent. What would you say to him in that situation? Just curious.
Go Gamecocks!!!

I would just introduce myself as a graduate of South Carolina, most ex coaches no matter how it ended are fond of the universities they worked at and will respond better to a respectful approach.

I would not ask him that question, we already know the answer:

He was never much into recruiting and the final straw was promoting his son to recruiting coordinator, Spurrier Jr, who was not a outstanding recruiter or talent evaluator, and had admitted in the past he did not like making all the calls and all that stuff that comes with the job and it showed.

Nice guy by all accounts but i would be shocked if their was another recruiting coordinator at the time in the country had 7 kids plus was trying to be a recruiting coordinator at a school in the SEC. To do it right takes time your competing against workaholics.

I would assume the promotion drove the ire of some on staff given they were more deserving and better recruiters.

If no matter how good you do, any inside promotion will go to a undeserving son, I'm sure that is not very motivating for the staff and created divide.

Meanwhile in tater town Jeff Scott the coaching son who loves recruiting was getting a better support staff in place around him by his head coach.

In June 2013, Clemson hired from Alabama, Thad Turnipseed as Director of Recruiting/External Affairs. Turnipseed started working closely with Swinney, Jeff Scott, and his staff in terms of the organization of all recruiting activities and soon benefits came to fruition and results improved.

Meanwhile the 2013 and 2014 season occured for us.

The truth is Spurrier should of won more national championships in his career but never cared for recruiting and it held him back, and was our recipe for disaster as it was not properly monitored and supplemented by the AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrmoRed and vehemon
In all honesty, if it were me, I just wouldn't even speak to him. As much as I'm ticked-off at him for the way he left us, it just wouldn't be classy to say what I feel. No real point in that. I'd just think to myself, "oh wow; there's Spurrier." And keep walking.
I'd ignore him! There's a chance he would be rude anyway which would make you angry! Agree - what I think about him wouldn't be printable so I KNOW I'd just move on! BTW, we all know he gave us 3 amazing seasons and dominated Clemson while he was "working", but we all should recognize he destroyed what he was building and should've resigned when he chose to quit working - leave us in a position to attract most anybody we wanted - instead of turning the program over to his arrogant son who'd never proven anything and let us go backwards to where we were when he arrived! The bad equals or is worse than the good he did in the long run IMO! I'd not bother to speak to him if it was me!

Go Gamecocks!!!
And the crowd went oooooooooooh

Go Gamecocks!!!

Just say thank you for the great times at Carolina and leave it with that...

Last edited:
Go Gamecocks!!!
"Hey Spurrier! It was what it was."

Go Gamecocks!!!
I agree with some of the others. I would leave him alone unless he approached you. If he did approach you, don't ask him such a heavy question like that.

My friend used to be a member of the Gainesville Country club. Spurrier was there one day and saw that he had on a Gamecock polo and walked the opposite way to avoid any conversation.

My friend's father in law is a huge Florida booster and Spurrier doesn't know his name. If they wouldn't ask such a heavy question like that to Spurrier... I would suggest you avoid that topic as well.

There's no way I could disrespect him, he's one of the all time greatest college football coaches to ever walk the sidelines. Myself, I'd probably be all big eyed and do nothing but praise him for the good years we had, thank him and walk away. Now if I had a chance to drink a few cold ones with him,,,,,,,,,,look out! There's no telling where that might go, hell it might lead to a conversation that had nothing to do with football, lol.

However I do agree with the poster that said he tore down what he built and him not moving on when he quit did cost us (Tanner) the benefit of finding a coach for a team that was easily a top 15 program before the major tumble took place.

That being said, I love the Muschamp hire, he's a great fit for us and I believe he'll give us reason to forget all the negativity Spurrier left with.

Go Gamecocks!!!
Just smile, offer a polite "hello", and keep on walking, just like you would do if you encountered any stranger on the beach.

Mahatma-Gandhi-27.jpg

I'd say "Hey Steve, cocky lady is so mad at you what she has to say cant be printed" and we would just laugh and laugh

Reactions: bagel400
Tell him Forrest Gump(Dabo) won their duel. Spurrier magic not nearly as magic as he thought.

Go Gamecocks!!!
Replace his welcome mat with one that say's quitter.

Last edited:
He is the single most important person in Gamecock athletic history. Whoever is in second place is not even close. Look around the campus and the athletic department...his fingerprints are everywhere. When you get to be his age then come talk to me about quitting...
it makes a difference especially after just giving 10 years of your life to a group of unappreciative, entitled fans.

Go to Youtube and watch the videos of those miserable Clemson roaches leaving Williams Brice while SOS coached here. Then drop to your knees and kiss his feet.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Tell him your Dabo's brother and you are going to pour some Pickens county whoop ass on him. Then pick yourself off the ground and ....

From the jump, this post and several other retorts carry a strong stench from Pickens County. Sniff, sniff .... i do believe I smell tigger pooh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT