ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy Game Thoughts/Moving Forward

jamesleefrom843

Dec 26, 2014
Murrells Inlet, SC
Takeaways from the win last night:

1. A win is a win. Take them how you can get them in a 3-5 season. Now 4-5, but you get the premise.
2. Red zone playcalling must improve. Don't abandon what got you down there & get too cutesy. The obvious 2nd down runs with Dakereon Joyner are not working & we must find a way to get Kereon more involved in the offense.
3. Bryan Edwards is one of the best to ever do it at South Carolina.
4. Xavier Legette out of little ol' Mullins, SC (Marion County!) is next up. I'm happy for that young man. He's physical & possesses all the skills to be a big level receiver for us.
5. Linebackers were impressive as a unit. Jones plays like a madman, Brunson has his groove back, and Sherrod Greene set the tone early in the game.
6. Jaycee and Izzy played a great game. If that weak holding call on Izzy wasn't called, it's a 3 and out/Vandy never scores. Secondary overall made nice adjustments. I've been hard on TRob, but give him credit for the in-game adjustments. This is a team that scored 30+ on LSU & we made them look like a 4A high school (albeit their QB situation).
7. Ryan Hilinski is a star in the making. He gets the ball out quicker than any QB I've seen at South Carolina. The pin and pull play on 2nd and 6 when he hit Edwards on the under route was a snap throw dead on the money. NFL level throw, shades of Mahomes. Just wait until he's fully healthy, Ryan is going to be a name that's remembered in this league.

Go Cocks. I'm not thrilled with the offensive coaching overall still, but this was one of the better called games by BMac overall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News