ADVERTISEMENT

Venables' sly dig at Gamecocks postgame

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
Something along the lines of: A team improves by playing tough opponents, not by bashing a 'directional' school by 50-0. This coming from an ultra-caffeinated nutcase who hasn't had a secondary that could cover a bagel with cream cheese on a trowel in 10 years, smh.

Carolina wasn't on his mind after that game. And considering their overall schedule, he wouldn't talk about that in that manor. He was simply stating playing that game will make them better overall. Which is true.
Btw,
I absolutely can't stand him and dumbass Dabo. Definitely not taking up for the losers.

Something along the lines of: A team improves by playing tough opponents, not by bashing a 'directional' school by 50-0. This coming from an ultra-caffeinated nutcase who hasn't had a secondary that could cover a bagel with cream cheese on a trowel in 10 years, smh.
Well the good thing is he gets to get back to sharpening iron against SC State, Wake, Ga Tech and UConn soon enough.

It's a stupid cliché used to distract. And it's not even true, and he knows it.

Clemson has a crappy schedule that allows them to pull their starters at halftime for most games and play their second and third team. They even brag about how many of the players they manage to get on the field and get some experience. Adds to depth and helps keep you starters from getting hurt.

It’s weird he would say that for several reasons. One, Clemson is not known for playing a tough schedule every year. Two, his defense played well. Maybe he was too distracted by the git back guy to notice. Three, his defense seems to struggle when the other team conceals their signals, maybe the better teams hide their signals better, maybe not. I think Venables did a “What would Dabo say?” statement.

His attempt at deflection reflects both his arrogance and embarrassment.

Think that Venables is simply obsessed that Shane Beamer, without even Offensive nor Defensive Coordinator experience, was willing to take the leap to being a Head Coach. In contrast, he (Venables) does not have the cahonas to get out of his secure comfort zone of Coordinator at a football school in a basketball-first conference (with few football schools). I think that insecurity eats at Venables core. Now, I'm not a psychiatrist. But, that's what it looks like to me.

I don't know if it was a dig or not, but if what he said is true, the Gamecocks will improve a lot between now and the end of the season. Clemson, not so much.

Maybe he should worry about his own team and offense... A bad offense will wear down a good defense when they spend more time on the field..

I agree with gamecock stock. Maybe Venables was taking a shot at a guy who got a head coaching job, a guy he feels might be”below” him. So he got on the microphone and had to pop off a little.

The thing I don’t get about Venables is that he preaches to his defensive players about discipline, self-control, etc. because that’s the way players have to be. But then he has no self-control or self-discipline himself indicated by having to have a big guy on the sideline to follow him around and pull him off the field. Sophmorish.

Yes Clemson has a good defense, however when the game was on the line and Georgia could kill the clock running the football they did, strength against strength and Georgia was just better. Clemson had what negative rushing yards? I know the taters are obsessed with comparing themselves to Bama but hate to tell them the Bama gap is just getting wider apart, not closer!

I don’t think he was aimng anything at us, I believe he was just saying that to placate the Tater fanbase.

There’s a lot of anger on Tigernet right now. Angry at the OL coach, angry at T Elliott’s play calling, and interestingly enough some sniping about the QB’s NIL deals.

I can foresee some locker room strife in their future if they don’t nip it in the bud immediately.

With the way clempson program is right now. They should never score only 3 points against anybody no matter how good UGA defense is .
I agree but this is might be the best Georgia defense we have seen in quiet some time. Huge guys, fast and their DLine and linebackers as good as any in the country.

Reactions: boykinlp
Coming from the jockstrap that needs a "handler" on the sidelines. This guy is pure stupidity at it's finest.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think this was directed at us. It seems more like he’s strictly talking about Clemson opening with Georgia, and not who anyone else may be playing. I think he’s just saying, “We played a really good team and we lost. It should help us get better. We wouldn’t have gotten better if we’d played Furman, win or lose. “

i still think he’s a psycho obsessed with showmanship, though.

Reactions: boykinlp
It was totally about us. I don’t care how dialed in you are, it takes 2 seconds to look at your phone, even less when the ESPN app on your phone keeps popping up score updates. But, playing UGA to start the season isn’t why they are where they are, or have been where they’ve been. They have multiple EIU’s every damn year, and 6 straight playoffs as well. We used to be THE opening game when SOS was here, and sometimes against an actual worthy opponent, and ultimately it did nothing for us in terms of improving each year, or the 2010-13 seasons, especially compared to what last 2 years Spurrier and Boom did to us. Recruiting is the only answer. We seem to be headed in the right direction

Reactions: bdblack
He can take all the shots he wants at us. They back it up by kicking our Ass annually. Until we beat them, they can say whatever they want.

Last edited:
Well, the core of what he said is right. Clemson and UGA started the season with a playoff game. That prepares you for big games.
What does SCST, Duke, UCONN, and most of the rest of CU’s schedule in 2021 do for them? Nothing is the answer! The acc was 0-6 in 2020 bowl games. Opening weekend the three pre- season top 25 acc schools all lost, Miami embarrassed, and Duke lost to Charlotte. In CU’s last five games vs top 20 teams I believe they are 1-4. Beat Notre Dame in acc championship. Lost to LSU, lost to Notre Dame, lost to Ohio State, and UGA.

Their schedule came in at the 79th toughest in 2021. At NCST might be a tough game remaining for them? We currently aren’t very good, so I doubt we give them much trouble. Venables better look at the acc before disparaging a “directional school”. The acc is literally fighting the Big 12 for the crappiest Power 5 football conference.

I don't know if it was a dig or not, but if what he said is true, the Gamecocks will improve a lot between now and the end of the season. Clemson, not so much.
What makes you think they won’t improve again?

If it was directed at us, and I doubt that it was, he has every right to say it until USC comes even close to doing something about it.
Until they consistently play a tougher schedule than they normally play in the ACC, he has no right speaking of who we play. He may have even been speaking of Clemson's football team.

They both start with C and end with -ine but it's not Caffeine.

Dude, we aren’t even on his radar. Why would we be? Delusional post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT