ADVERTISEMENT

Very intriguing hire by USC

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
Announced today that Danny Morrison had been hired as a professor for entertainment and sports management.

This program is considered a top ten program nationwide and a good number of our out of state baseball players enroll in this major. They enroll in this because very few schools the southeast have this major and it grants them instate Tution and carryover of out of state lottery money.

Morrison if you recall was practically the only other name mentioned when Ray was hired as AD. His resume is impressive
AD Wofford 12 years
Commissioner of southern conference 4 years
AD TCU 4 years
President of Carolina Panthers 9 years resigned in February 2017.
He also has Phd

Having a person of his experience and knowledge as a professor is insane. I just wonder what use the athletic department will make of his expertise.

I would doubt he stays to long, probably something to do while searching for his next job closer to what he was doing.

When he resigned it sounded like he want to go be a AD again but maybe being a professor is the "final chapter on his career", you could be right.

Last edited:
I hope it goes well; sometimes when people are brought in that don't have knowledge of academic culture it doesn't go well. See: Moe Baddourah's tenure with the Hospitality program

I hope it goes well; sometimes when people are brought in that don't have knowledge of academic culture it doesn't go well. See: Moe Baddourah's tenure with the Hospitality program
Well he does have a masters from UNC in education and Phd from USC in educational leadership. I think he has a slight grasp of academia.

Re: "This program is considered a top ten program nationwide and a good number of our out of state baseball players enroll in this major. They enroll in this because very few schools the southeast have this major and it grants them instate Tution and carryover of out of state lottery money."

I did not know this. Thanks for posting. This should really be a big benefit for recruiting non-SC players especially since baseball does not offer full scholarships.

Reactions: andypants
Re: "This program is considered a top ten program nationwide and a good number of our out of state baseball players enroll in this major. They enroll in this because very few schools the southeast have this major and it grants them instate Tution and carryover of out of state lottery money."

I did not know this. Thanks for posting. This should really be a big benefit for recruiting non-SC players especially since baseball does not offer full scholarships.
Some "outside the box" thinking here! Super!

Reactions: andypants
Announced today that Danny Morrison had been hired as a professor for entertainment and sports management.

This program is considered a top ten program nationwide and a good number of our out of state baseball players enroll in this major. They enroll in this because very few schools the southeast have this major and it grants them instate Tution and carryover of out of state lottery money.

Morrison if you recall was practically the only other name mentioned when Ray was hired as AD. His resume is impressive
AD Wofford 12 years
AD TCU 4 years
He also has Phd

Having a person of his experience and knowledge as a professor is insane. I just wonder what use the athletic department will make of his expertise.

Look at it this way. When Tanner was being considered for AD, USC reached out to Morrison to determine his interest in the job. Morrison had just been selected as the Panthers Pres of Ops and told them he was happy in that job.
Maybe, just maybe, USC hired him to just stash him away for awhile until Tanner proves himself, so for Tanner has not accomplished too much other than raising the price of football tickets to everyone's dismay. Tanner flopped on the handling of Spurrier quitting in mid-season and even insured Spurrier received his annual salary for not coaching. Tanner's hire of Holbrook has come back to bite him in the ass. His other two, Muschamp and Kingston, will need to prove themselves worthy of the positions they hold. And this:
USC has hired Danny Morrison, a USC grad, as a prof in Hotel & Restaurant management??? With Morrison's background, astounding athletic resume, 2 AD jobs, Pres of Panthers, etc, etc. I DON'T THINK SO. If I were Ray Tanner, I would be sweating a bit and watching my back.
I'm truly excited that we have a USC grad on board who can immediately step into the position. Tired of USC going after North Carolinians to run our athletic programs.

Reactions: IrmoRed
I don't know how old he is but slot of these guys that have been there done that just want an easy bs job to let them think and plan for the next step. Now I thought that the few Sports Management classes I did take were a joke. This was in the mid 90s. I hope it is more serious by now.

AD Wofford 12 years
AD TCU 4 years
He also has Phd

Your implication being he is either here to help advise our AD or potentially supplant him one day I suppose?

Your implication being he is either here to help advise our AD or potentially supplant him one day I suppose?
No implication, just reporting the news and frankly a little curious. Morrison is a great asset with a wealth of experience and knowledge...... if anybody is willing to seek knowledge.

But where? Was this a door opener for another position here? He is 64 yo.
Yep was going to post this... he's no spring chicken. I don't see him topping President of an NFL team or AD at the college level... looks like he's in the mood to make some easy bank and call it a career.

Yep was going to post this... he's no spring chicken. I don't see him topping President of an NFL team or AD at the college level... looks like he's in the mood to make some easy bank and call it a career.

Sixty-four (64) is not old in this day and time by any stretch of the imagination. Spurrier, the guy that absolutely quit on "HIS" team to (IMO) protect his legacy was mid-65-70's and I never heard any concerns about his age. Danny Morrison is young by today's standards. At 64, he's good for at least 15/16 more years, especially for an athletic position which requires more brain/experience than brawn which without doubt he has.

Sixty-four (64) is not old in this day and time by any stretch of the imagination. Spurrier, the guy that absolutely quit on "HIS" team to (IMO) protect his legacy was mid-65-70's and I never heard any concerns about his age. Danny Morrison is young by today's standards. At 64, he's good for at least 15/16 more years, especially for an athletic position which requires more brain/experience than brawn which without doubt he has.
I can speak from experience. When age hits the mid 60s the IDGAS starts cranking up fast. No way he is good for 15 more years!

He's here as Tanner's ready-made short-term replacement if the roof falls in. He's the pro AD in waiting if the amateur stumbles.

I can speak from experience. When age hits the mid 60s the IDGAS starts cranking up fast. No way he is good for 15 more years!

Not sure what IDGAS stands for but I'm sorry for whatever hit you in the mid-60's. But, in November I will hit the big 80 and I am still physically and mentally healthy. I served my country in USAF for 25 years and then as a teacher and school principal for 15 years. I should be still working. Danny Morrison, IMO, has many good years ahead of him and I think he could become USC's best athletic director ever. Might not be hard for him to do. You take care, coxman, and always have a positive outlook on life.

Reactions: cocky4
Not sure what IDGAS stands for but I'm sorry for whatever hit you in the mid-60's. But, in November I will hit the big 80 and I am still physically and mentally healthy. I served my country in USAF for 25 years and then as a teacher and school principal for 15 years. I should be still working. Danny Morrison, IMO, has many good years ahead of him and I think he could become USC's best athletic director ever. Might not be hard for him to do. You take care, coxman, and always have a positive outlook on life.
You're not working but you're saying you and DM would be doing a fine job at 80. That's like somebody with no kids saying what a great parent they would be!

You're not working but you're saying you and DM would be doing a fine job at 80. That's like somebody with no kids saying what a great parent they would be![/QUOT

Coxman, just reading what your post, I suspect you are little more that a mid-60's couch potato, fat, beer drinking slob who lives on the internet for the expressed purpose of denigrating others.

"Coxman, just reading what your post, I suspect you are little more that a mid-60's couch potato, fat, beer drinking slob who lives on the internet for the expressed purpose of denigrating others."

I suspect you are a liberal know-it-all Hillary loving left lane lamebrain control freak!

AD Wofford 12 years
AD TCU 4 years
He also has Phd

Danny was a friend and classmate of mine at Wofford is a great guy; whatever he does at USC, we should be glad and appreciative!

"Coxman, just reading what your post, I suspect you are little more that a mid-60's couch potato, fat, beer drinking slob who lives on the internet for the expressed purpose of denigrating others."

I suspect you are a liberal know-it-all Hillary loving left lane lamebrain control freak!

Sorry, I am (and have been for years) a die-hard, staunch conservative. I honorable served my country in the USAF on active duty for 25-years,17 as a Special Tactics Combat Control Team member and leader. Less than 3/4ths of 1 percent of the 350 millions of Americans serve to defend and protect our country. Following that, coxman, I worked in school district of Lexington 5 for 15 years as a teacher and principal mostly to pay back some teachers who guided and help me through some difficult years.

How about you, coxman, you done anything significant in your 60 plus years other than troll this website?

Sorry, I am (and have been for years) a die-hard, staunch conservative. I honorable served my country in the USAF on active duty for 25-years,17 as a Special Tactics Combat Control Team member and leader. Less than 3/4ths of 1 percent of the 350 millions of Americans serve to defend and protect our country. Following that, coxman, I worked in school district of Lexington 5 for 15 years as a teacher and principal mostly to pay back some teachers who guided and help me through some difficult years.

How about you, coxman, you done anything significant in your 60 plus years other than troll this website?
Nope, that's all. Now excuse me while I get my fat ass up off the couch and get another beer!

By the time a coach reaches 60 the hunger is gone. They wanna come to USC and get lazy and have employee cookouts, family time instead of recruiting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT