Voting, Greatest Gamecock (Final Four): (2) A'ja Wilson vs. (1) Michael Roth

Who wins?

• A'ja Wilson

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • Michael Roth

Votes: 70 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This 1 is SO hard. Boils down to Roth won 2 Championships, A'ja just 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff2001
Not even close. A’ja was the SEC Player of the year multiple times, is an everyday player vs a rotational player, who is MVP level in the pros.

Michael Roth is one of the best but the championship should be A’ja vs George.
Roth led them to 2 championships, is in the record books in Omaha for ERA, had 2 seasons' ERA under 1.50. He is on the top of nearly every broadcaster/analyst list of legendary players in the College World Series. He also was the one who led those teams and brought the laid back, relaxed approach that nearly everyone attributes to winning the championships. Professional careers have zero bearing on this vote. This tournament is nothing more than a vote for second place as Roth should have the title of greatest Gamecock ever by a longshot.

2 Championships is greater than 1 Championship.

CWS Hall of Fame, basically.

A’ja is more highly decorated, but Roth wins because of his “John Q. Public turned Superman” storyline.

Reactions: cadcock
Roth led them to 2 championships, is in the record books in Omaha for ERA, had 2 seasons' ERA under 1.50. He is on the top of nearly every broadcaster/analyst list of legendary players in the College World Series. He also was the one who led those teams and brought the laid back, relaxed approach that nearly everyone attributes to winning the championships. Professional careers have zero bearing on this vote. This tournament is nothing more than a vote for second place as Roth should have the title of greatest Gamecock ever by a longshot.
You couldn't be more wrong. You must be young. Big George is the only choice for Greatest Gamecock ever. It's not even close. Roth 2nd, Shaw 3rd, A'ja 4th.

You couldn't be more wrong. You must be young. Big George is the only choice for Greatest Gamecock ever. It's not even close. Roth 2nd, Shaw 3rd, A'ja 4th.
And you couldn't be more nostalgic. Good choice though 0 championships and a cocaine problem are definitely better than multiple national championships.

And you couldn't be more nostalgic. Good choice though 0 championships and a cocaine problem are definitely better than multiple national championships.
Using your logic, Whit Merrifield would be ahead of Rogers. Hell, someone from Beach Volleyball and Equestrian (I'd name 1 but I truly don't know any) would be ahead and nobody from football, MBB, or any other sport other than WBB, baseball, Track & Field, Beach volleyball and Equestrian should even be on the list. The fact you bring up his addiction problems and ignore all the good he has done (and still does) for the University speaks more to your character than his. It was George that put the university in the national spotlight when most had never heard of us. Football is more important than Baseball and should carry extra weight. I'd venture to say that 95% of this board think George, Connor, and Marcus are 1,2 & 3 on the "Greatest Gamecock of All Time" list and none won a National Championship. Championships only factor in when the 2 players are close and you need something to separate them. It's not close with George (or Connor). Want to bet a $100 who wins? Didn't think so.

If Christian Laettner's game winner against Kentucky in the 1992 tournament had been made against UNC instead of Kentucky, you could say he was the Michael Roth of that Duke team.

He didnt just win 2 championships, but he yanked the rug out from under Clemson on his way there. Thats worth mega bonus points for any Gamecock.

If Christian Laettner's game winner against Kentucky in the 1992 tournament had been made against UNC instead of Kentucky, you could say he was the Michael Roth of that Duke team.

He didnt just win 2 championships, but he yanked the rug out from under Clemson on his way there. Thats worth mega bonus points for any Gamecock.
Using this logic, A’ja never lost to Clemson. Are we really going to hold it against her that Clemson sucks in women’s basketball?

All true and he is a great Gamecock. However, A'ja performed at that level for 4 years, won the equivalent of the Heisman and was all SEC all 4 years. Not sure how many all-american selections but at least twice.

Big George is going to win, but A'ja is the Gamecock GOAT.

This is interesting and a lot of fun but what is the definition of greatest. All of the finalist were great Gamecocks and all of them performed within the last 40 years. There were many others who were great that played before 1980 that most on here never saw. I only go back to see those who played in the 50s and later. But for my money any final four without John Roche just isn’t legitimate.

He only played three years and we were something like 70-16 against the best teams in the country, won a regular ACC Championship and an ACC Tournament Championship. We’re consistently ranked in the top 10 and frequently in the top 5. But the real meaning of this is how he played the game. Controlling the basketball in key moments of tough games. Shooting free throws with deadly accuracy with the game on the line. Just wish all on here would have had the chance to see him lead out team.

Based on accomplishments of these 4 in college, it seems that A'ja should win, but this is just an opinion.

In 2016 as a Sophomore she would win her first SEC Player of the year ward and was a consensus All-American, Wilson led the Gamecocks to a SEC regular season and Tournament Championship. In 2017 Wilson once again led the Gamecocks to a SEC regular season and Tournament championship, and went on to win the schools first National Championship with a stirring victory over the Mississippi State Bulldogs in the championship game. She was named the Most Outstanding Player of the tournament.[7] In 2018, Wilson had her best season statistically, and won all of the National player of the year awards. She won a record 3rd straight SEC Player of the Year award, and was also a Consensus All-American for the 3rd straight year. Wilson finished her college career at South Carolina as the all-time leading scorer for the school.

3x SEC Player of the Year (only player ever)
3x Consensus All American
2018 Consensus Player of the Year
2017 NCAA Tournament MOP
4x First Team All SEC
2x SEC Tournament MVP
2x SEC Defensive POY

Plus many more not listed. Yes one Championship compared to two with Roth but individually, I think she deserves it.

This is a contest for Greatest Gamecock, not most accomplished, most decorated, most accolades, etc. There is no debate. George Rogers is the Greatest Gamecock. Not just because he won the Heisman, nor being the #1 overall pick in the draft, but because he has become the face of Carolina. If you want to debate who is #2, that's fine. Connor Shaw, A'ja Wilson, Michael Roth, Marcus Lattimore, John Roche, Alshon Jeffery all could lay claim to #2, but #1 is and always will be Big George. For decades he was our ONLY claim to fame. His dedication to the University is unquestioned and unequaled. The only person close to being as good an ambassador for the school is Marcus.

This is a contest for Greatest Gamecock, not most accomplished, most decorated, most accolades, etc. (so your criteria is the only criteria, I wish we would have known this so we could set ourselfves straight from the get go) There is no debate. (actually there is debate or else this would have proclaimed George Rogers, Greatest Gamecock ever and no voting would have taken place) George Rogers is the Greatest Gamecock. Not just because he won the Heisman, nor being the #1 overall pick in the draft, but because he has become the face of Carolina (I don't know if this is a fact but there has been no proclamation stating he is the face of Carolina. One could argue that if you polled all alumni that Wilson, Roth or another Gamecock would fit that bill. Some might even say, it could be Todd Ellis, or Dawn Staley or anyone else who represents the University well. Previously it may have been President Pastides as the face of Carolina). If you want to debate who is #2, that's fine. Connor Shaw, A'ja Wilson, Michael Roth, Marcus Lattimore, John Roche, Alshon Jeffery all could lay claim to #2, but #1 is and always will be Big George. For decades he was our ONLY claim to fame. (Who was prior? Who since him? Is it generational? For those coming to this life after you, they probably never heard of Big Geoge and Lattimore, Clowney, Jeffrey, Wilson, Roth, Shaw, etc would hold this distinction) His dedication to the University is unquestioned and unequaled. The only person close to being as good an ambassador for the school is Marcus.

I hate to break it to you, but everything you state above is your opinion of which you are welcome to. To state that there is no debate probably gives more credence to the opinion of others, all others, but you.

I am glad you feel so strongly about Big George, but please don't pass off your opinion as fact, it's tiresome and way too common on this site

I hate to break it to you, but everything you state above is your opinion of which you are welcome to. To state that there is no debate probably gives more credence to the opinion of others, all others, but you.

I am glad you feel so strongly about Big George, but please don't pass off your opinion as fact, it's tiresome and way too common on this site
It's an opinion held by 98% of this site, if not more.

It's an opinion held by 98% of this site, if not more.

That's great, it's still an opinion, and stating it is of 98% of this site is also an opinion, once that could be measured, but an opinion nonetheless.

Hope you and your family are safe and sound during this time and that the poll shows Big George is the Greatest. Even if it doesn't, he is still great, IMO.

Only one of these have a statue and a road beside the stadium named after him.

Isn't the voting in the thread A'ja v Roth? Big George is cruising and will easily make the finals.

Roth is great and truly deserves to be in the Final Four, but A'ja had a better career than Roth and it's not close.

gpinnington said:
There is a statue of Aja being built and she’s only 24 so I’m sure she’ll have a street at some point. Just sayin’

Her statue was announced one year after she graduated, While George had a road named after him and a statue, neither was so soon after his graduation, close, but not as soon. It took 30 years after the road to get the statue. Not hating, just stating, still love big George, and A'ja has done nothing but be a phenomenal ambassador for USC since she stepped on campus. Two different eras, two different amazing people.

Using this logic, A’ja never lost to Clemson. Are we really going to hold it against her that Clemson sucks in women’s basketball?
I'm not holding anything against A'ja. But I'm going to boost Roth for lowering the boom on a Clemson team that looked to be on their way to a national championship series. He achieved a legendary status that night and then went on to win two national championships. When I think back to all the times a Gamecock made me holler and run around my house like a lunatic, Michael Roth was involved in more of those moments than A'ja was.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Not even close. A’ja was the SEC Player of the year multiple times, is an everyday player vs a rotational player, who is MVP level in the pros.

Michael Roth is one of the best but the championship should be A’ja vs George.
the question was Greatest Gamecock.... Not greatest career after being a Gamecock.. So i respectfully disagree, Michael Roth got SC their first "Mainstream" sport national Championship!!

This is a contest for Greatest Gamecock, not most accomplished, most decorated, most accolades, etc. There is no debate. George Rogers is the Greatest Gamecock. Not just because he won the Heisman, nor being the #1 overall pick in the draft, but because he has become the face of Carolina. If you want to debate who is #2, that's fine. Connor Shaw, A'ja Wilson, Michael Roth, Marcus Lattimore, John Roche, Alshon Jeffery all could lay claim to #2, but #1 is and always will be Big George. For decades he was our ONLY claim to fame. His dedication to the University is unquestioned and unequaled. The only person close to being as good an ambassador for the school is Marcus.
........This, my friends, is the unadulterated, gospel truth!

Reactions: SCexpat38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT