ADVERTISEMENT

Wake up. It not a dream. We need proven OC

jonesz21

Aug 9, 2005
not going to beat UGA, TX AM, CleMson even Kentucky and Candy unless we can score near 30 prs agame.

Promoting from within when your system is not where it needs to be was a lazy move. I hope I am wrong but I believe coach Muschamp will forever be remembered as couldn’t or wouldn’t make the right OC hire

Last edited:
not going to beat UGA, TX AM, CleMson even Kentucky and Candy unless we can score near 30 prs agame.

Promoting from within when your system is not were it needs to be was a lazy move. I hope I am wrong but I believe coach Muschamp will forever be remembered as couldn’t or wouldn’t make the right OC hire
Agreed. Pitiful effort yesterday and I'd also go ahead and begin to plan for the future at qb

FIRE THE COACH! YEA, THAT'S THE ANSWER! FIRE THE COACH! Geez, these threads never seem to end. No, we are not going to fire a coordinator after one bad game. No, we are not going to bench our quarterback after one bad game. No, we are not going to forfeit the rest of the season after one bad game. IT WAS ONE BAD GAME AGAINST A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER. Can you at least wait for our second loss before calling for people to be fired and benched?

FIRE THE COACH! YEA, THAT'S THE ANSWER! FIRE THE COACH! Geez, these threads never seem to end. No, we are not going to fire a coordinator after one bad game. No, we are not going to bench our quarterback after one bad game. No, we are not going to forfeit the rest of the season after one bad game. IT WAS ONE BAD GAME AGAINST A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDER. Can you at least wait for our second loss before calling for people to be fired and benched?
It wasn't Bentleys first bad game against a good opponent. We've seen this same effort multiple times.

Maybe McClendon is going to be a bust at OC. He certainly didn't inspire a ton of confidence, mostly for the same reasons the OP gave: an unproven potential coordinator being promoted from within on a bad offensive team. I personally wish we had picked up a successful Air Raid coach from a smaller school, but McClendon is going to get a shot..probably for a few years. Lets hope he can get it done.
Bentley is probably not the All-SEC quarterback everyone hoped he would be. He's shown himself to be good enough to win or at least compete against most teams on the schedule. He's also shown that he isn't the difference maker against the elite teams. There aren't many of those guys out there, I suppose. But clearly, he's the best option on our team right now. He'll probably be the best option next year, too.
The frustrating reality is: South Carolina is WAY more than a 3 year rebuilding project is Muschamp really wants to compete in the East/SEC/Playoffs/Clemson, etc.Maybe he'll get it done in 2-4 more years, maybe things will never be better than the occasional 9 win season.

In six going on seven years as a head coach, Muschamp still has struggled to find a reliable coordinator that can generate consistent offense. It's a legitimate concern. Yes, we need to give Mcclendon time but it seems like we're always waiting years and years for results while our rivals run laps around us.

In six going on seven years as a head coach, Muschamp still has struggled to find a reliable coordinator that can generate consistent offense. It's a legitimate concern. Yes, we need to give Mcclendon time but it seems like we're always waiting years and years for results while our rivals run laps around us.
And if our rivals make a bad hire or promotion (which rarely happens) it doesn't set them back 3-4 years.

Agreed. Pitiful effort yesterday and I'd also go ahead and begin to plan for the future at qb

If we don’t blow it we have 2 good ones committed. Of course we know very well that means nothing cause the could flip if we have bad season

I hear you Willie Taggart

Reading these type of posts (not the one I replied to but the others calling to fire coach’s) makes me believe no one that posts knows a damn thing about football - we lost to UGA and it wasn’t pretty - move on - I think BMac is one of the brightest coach’s and he called a good game - the 2 Ints were Huge and BMac didn’t throw a damn one. He didn’t make a single block and he didn’t miss a single tackle. The offense was in position to score but the offense didn’t execute. That’s on other assistants and no all on BMac. Get over it and move on.

Reading these type of posts (not the one I replied to but the others calling to fire coach’s) makes me believe no one that posts knows a damn thing about football - we lost to UGA and it wasn’t pretty - move on - I think BMac is one of the brightest coach’s and he called a good game - the 2 Ints were Hugh and BMac didn’t throw a damn one. He didn’t make a single block and he didn’t miss a single tackle. The offense was in position to score but the offense didn’t execute. That’s on other assistants and no all on BMac. Get over it and move on.
"Didnt execute". Sparky or Brad is that you?

Reactions: Brace1 and jonesz21
Reading these type of posts (not the one I replied to but the others calling to fire coach’s) makes me believe no one that posts knows a damn thing about football - we lost to UGA and it wasn’t pretty - move on - I think BMac is one of the brightest coach’s and he called a good game - the 2 Ints were Huge and BMac didn’t throw a damn one. He didn’t make a single block and he didn’t miss a single tackle. The offense was in position to score but the offense didn’t execute. That’s on other assistants and no all on BMac. Get over it and move on.
Could say the same about our former staff....or Brad's or Sparky's staffs.

Reactions: Brace1
Kinda hard to call plays when the play along the line of scrimmage causes us to be one dimensional. Let's face it UGA has Alabama level talent and it showed on the line of scrimmage yesterday. They were more physical than us and we couldn't counter anything they did. The only way we were going to compete against them is if we played mistake free and turnover free. That didn't happen. We still have a pretty good team but we're not a top-10 team. UGA has been a sleeping giant for years with the talent pool they have to choose from. Unfortunately for us, they seemed to have hired the right coach to put it all together.

Promoting from within when your system is not where it needs to be was a lazy move. I hope I am wrong but I believe coach Muschamp will forever be remembered as couldn’t or wouldn’t make the right OC hire

Agreed. Needed a whole new philosophy. Prefer spread ....hate to say it but similar to klempson. What i saw yesterday looked roperesque.

B-Mac was a highly regarded QB prospect. He was thrown into the fire with virtually no help around him. When Deebo came back from injury, instead of seeing how well B-Mac could do with an actual receiver on the field, he was benched for the coach's kid. B-Mac was never given another chance, so he left.
I'm not saying B-Mac was the answer. But I don't think he'd be any worse. His situation highlights a big issue though. No other QB wants to come into this system. It's like rec league. You know the coach's kid is going to be the QB and no one else really has a chance. As long as the coach's kid is the QB at SC, the offense will struggle against quality defenses.. 'cause he's just not that good.

Reactions: rogue cock

I agree

It ain't the OC. It isn't any of the offensive coaches. Or the plan, or scheme. It is a lack of talent up front. Criticize the recruiting if you want. But when you don't have the talent up front, on either side of the ball, you are going to struggle against teams with elite talent. It's as simple as that.

Chump won't hire someone who might get more recognition than him......not his style....always have been and prob won't change now.

Reactions: Brace1 and jonesz21
Kinda hard to call plays when the play along the line of scrimmage causes us to be one dimensional. Let's face it UGA has Alabama level talent and it showed on the line of scrimmage yesterday. They were more physical than us and we couldn't counter anything they did. The only way we were going to compete against them is if we played mistake free and turnover free. That didn't happen. We still have a pretty good team but we're not a top-10 team. UGA has been a sleeping giant for years with the talent pool they have to choose from. Unfortunately for us, they seemed to have hired the right coach to put it all together.

Exactly! You can't win the SEC without a running game. Period. Full Stop.

We must have a dual-threat quarterback to make up for our deficiencies on the offensive line. This empty backfield stuff ain't going to cut it. I don't care how good Jake is passing the ball. This isn't the Sun Belt conference.

Reactions: Cockish
We had one bad game. And it was against the #3 team in the nation, who also, by the way, played for the National Championship a few months ago.
We were outmanned by a better team. They were simply heads and shoulders better.
And it wasn’t the oc who dropped passes and missed tackles.
Get over it and move on to the next game, which, by the way, is only the 3rd game of the season.
It’s a little early to freak out.
If this continues the whole season, sure, that’s a discussion worth having at the end of November. But this type of panic after week 2 seems a bit premature to me.

Last edited:
We had one bad game. And it was against the #3 team in the nation, who also, by the way, played for the National Championship a few months ago.
We were outmanned by a better team. They were simply heads and shoulders better.
Get over it and move on to the next game, which, by the way, is only the 3rd game of the season.
If this continues the whole season, sure, that’s a discussion for a later time. But this type of panic after week 2 seems a bit premature to me.
This is what we do. It is temporal. It's part of the healing process. Moving on will inevitably happen, sooner rather than later. How much early discussion does one expect over an opponent like Marshall when we are only two days removed from a comprehensive @$$-whipping in one of our biggest games of the season, a game in which our divisional championship hopes were stillborn? We're grieving, I'm tellin' ya, grieving. But it will pass, probably by Tuesday and certainly Wednesday.

If this continues the whole season, sure, that’s a discussion worth having at the end of November. But this type of panic after week 2 seems a bit premature to me.
If they didn't spend all off season hyping up our offense and how it was going to make all these plays and score all these points, then go crap the bed, nobody would care. Getting beat is fine, looking stupid while you get beat is worse. I think most are scratching our heads at how Jake has not improved whatsoever. He looked good in the spring game but he's still "big game Jake!". Just frustrating that in year 3 we still suck to high heaven.

Robert nailed it. No reason to lose at home to a team with supposed inexperience at several key positions. Chubb and Michel behind that OL might’ve eclipsed the 222-0 of Ga Tech and Cumberland back in 1916.

The sign says we will not be outworked, we were, rather quickly. Heads down, grind, and stop with the dumb slogans if you want to earn respect.

Maybe McClendon is going to be a bust at OC. He certainly didn't inspire a ton of confidence, mostly for the same reasons the OP gave: an unproven potential coordinator being promoted from within on a bad offensive team. I personally wish we had picked up a successful Air Raid coach from a smaller school, but McClendon is going to get a shot..probably for a few years. Lets hope he can get it done.
Bentley is probably not the All-SEC quarterback everyone hoped he would be. He's shown himself to be good enough to win or at least compete against most teams on the schedule. He's also shown that he isn't the difference maker against the elite teams. There aren't many of those guys out there, I suppose. But clearly, he's the best option on our team right now. He'll probably be the best option next year, too.
The frustrating reality is: South Carolina is WAY more than a 3 year rebuilding project is Muschamp really wants to compete in the East/SEC/Playoffs/Clemson, etc.Maybe he'll get it done in 2-4 more years, maybe things will never be better than the occasional 9 win season.

Good post, though I disagree about hiring some Air Raid coordinator. I don't think passing is the way to beat these teams. You've got to be big and physical and outmuscle their ass on the lines.

We need to pass to open up the running game and keep opposing Ds honest, not run to keep the opposing defense from killing our QB and giving our D a breather.

Also in fairness, I think you could make the argument that there are several NFL teams that wouldn't be able to compete in the SEC (East or West) without a 3-year rebuilding project.

Good post, though I disagree about hiring some Air Raid coordinator. I don't think passing is the way to beat these teams. You've got to be big and physical and outmuscle their ass on the lines.

We need to pass to open up the running game and keep opposing Ds honest, not run to keep the opposing defense from killing our QB and giving our D a breather.

Also in fairness, I think you could make the argument that there are several NFL teams that wouldn't be able to compete in the SEC (East or West) without a 3-year rebuilding project.
In an ideal world, I completely agree that you want to be big, physical, and talented, and have the ability to run successfully against anyone. But, CWM should have (maybe this is just me and my 20/20 hindsight) seen that we do not have that kind of OLine talent before he hired a staff. An answer for that ability-shortage at that position would be to go Air Raid. That doesn't mean you absolutely have to be Air Raid forever. When Stoops took over at Oklahoma, I recall reading that he realized he couldn't run what he wanted to run based on talent (although Oklahoma had sucked for 3 straight seasons, their talent was still good) so he hired Mike Leach as his OC. Leach got the Texas Tech job after one season, then was followed by Mark Mangino, After a few years, Oklahoma was running Stoops' preferred spread offense.

We need a proven offensive line and defensive line coach. Georgia ate our soup in the trenches. A mobile quarter back would improve our offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT