ADVERTISEMENT

Walker and Montgomery (former Yardcocks)

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
Christian Walker and Jordan Montgomery faced each other in the world series last month with Monty's Rangers coming out on top. Both had great seasons. Walker was starting Diamondbacks first baseman all season and hit 33 homers. Monty was traded to the Rangers towards the end of the season and stepped up big in the postseason.

Walker has one year left before he's eligible for free agency. Monty is looking at a huge contract this offseason.

1B Christian Walker (under club control through 2024): Walker, who made $6.5 million this year, is projected to nearly double that next year at $12.7 million. That is his final season of arbitration eligibility before he could hit free agency.

"If Montgomery gets a six-year deal, it'll probably be for at least $138 million, if not $150 million or more, because that's the tax you have to pay to sign a player fresh off playing a key role for a World Series champion."

I am absolutely thrilled we're seeing a former Gamecock hit the ball in the majors... those are way too few and far between.

Reactions: sclawman77
"If Montgomery gets a six-year deal, it'll probably be for at least $138 million, if not $150 million or more, because that's the tax you have to pay to sign a player fresh off playing a key role for a World Series champion."

Just asking, since I don't fully understand all the free agency details but, since this year's 'Qualifying Offer' was $20.325 million, for 2024, about a $2.8 million increase over last year and probably several million lower than next year, wouldn't the $138 MM be somewhat low? I only say this because only 7 free agents out of approx. 200 free agents accepted the $20.325MM offer that expired 11/14/23.

Of course, I do understand that you're talking about a bird-in-hand @ 6 years.
Mind Boggling Numbers ... LOL!!!

P.S. The Yankees have already had some discussions with Montgomery about a possible reunion. (About 2 weeks ago)

Last edited:
I remember Tanner talking about this when they faced each other in the game. Good stuff.

Christian Walker and Jordan Montgomery faced each other in the world series last month with Monty's Rangers coming out on top. Both had great seasons. Walker was starting Diamondbacks first baseman all season and hit 33 homers. Monty was traded to the Rangers towards the end of the season and stepped up big in the postseason.

Walker has one year left before he's eligible for free agency. Monty is looking at a huge contract this offseason.

1B Christian Walker (under club control through 2024): Walker, who made $6.5 million this year, is projected to nearly double that next year at $12.7 million. That is his final season of arbitration eligibility before he could hit free agency.

I hate that Kip Bouknight never received money like that. He played his heart out for Carolina. Earl Bass, Ray Lavigne and many, many others did also. Men's Baseball and Women's Basketball have been such a blessing to Gamecock fans. Frank McGuire, Ray Tanner (Coach; not A.D.) and Dawn Staley (the best of all) have been amazing blessings, too. Love to see those three statues on campus one day.

Just asking, since I don't fully understand all the free agency details but, since this year's 'Qualifying Offer' was $20.325 million, for 2024, about a $2.8 million increase over last year and probably several million lower than next year, wouldn't the $138 MM be somewhat low? I only say this because only 7 free agents out of approx. 200 free agents accepted the $20.325MM offer that expired 11/14/23.

Of course, I do understand that you're talking about a bird-in-hand @ 6 years.
Mind Boggling Numbers ... LOL!!!

P.S. The Yankees have already had some discussions with Montgomery about a possible reunion. (About 2 weeks ago)
You won’t see Monty sign with the Yankees unless they have a GM change. Cashman was a complete douche and traded Monty and stated “he wasn’t part of our postseason pitching plans anyway” when the NY media pushed back on the trade. The guy the Yankees traded for has been an absolute bust and Monty has pitched well for both the Cards and Rangers. CC Sabbathia bashed Cashman for being out of touch with how much Monty was liked and respected in the Yankees dugout.

Cashman is also too arrogant to reach back out to Monty. It would be admitting he screwed up which isn’t his style.

You won’t see Monty sign with the Yankees unless they have a GM change. Cashman was a complete douche and traded Monty and stated “he wasn’t part of our postseason pitching plans anyway” when the NY media pushed back on the trade. The guy the Yankees traded for has been an absolute bust and Monty has pitched well for both the Cards and Rangers. CC Sabbathia bashed Cashman for being out of touch with how much Monty was liked and respected in the Yankees dugout.

Cashman is also too arrogant to reach back out to Monty. It would be admitting he screwed up which isn’t his style.

I follow the Yankees pretty closely.

Harrison Joseph Bader, 'The Absolute Bust', the Yankees received in trade for Montgomery, hit his first NY Yankee home run in game 1 of the 2022 ALDS. He hit 3 homeruns in the first 4 games of that series.

He hit safely in 4 out of his first 5 games of 2023 and in 84 games, playing Centerfield, (where his 2.77 Range Factor was 2nd best among AL Outfielders) he batted .240/.278/.365 in 288 at bats with 40 Runs, 7 HRs, 37 RBIs, and 17 stolen bases in 19 attempts (his 89.47% stolen base percentage was 6th best in the AL).

Since You missed the boat on Bader and because I've never heard ANY of the rumors you espouse and, in fact, am of the opinion that the Yankees hold Montgomery in extremely high regard, I suggest you check the credentials of your reference source. I believe that they are full of shit!

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Harrison Joseph Bader, 'The Absolute Bust', the Yankees received in trade for Montgomery, hit his first NY Yankee home run in game 1 of the 2022 ALDS. He hit 3 homeruns in the first 4 games of that series.

He hit safely in 4 out of his first 5 games of 2023 and in 84 games, playing Centerfield, (where his 2.77 Range Factor was 2nd best among AL Outfielders) he batted .240/.278/.365 in 288 at bats with 40 Runs, 7 HRs, 37 RBIs, and 17 stolen bases in 19 attempts (his 89.47% stolen base percentage was 6th best in the AL).

Since You missed the boat on Bader and because I've never heard ANY of the rumors you espouse and, in fact, am of the opinion that the Yankees hold Montgomery in extremely high regard, I suggest you check the credentials of your reference source. I believe that they are full of shit!
Nice of you to tell the half of the story you wanted out there. Since I’m not a Yankees fan I had to look this up, but let’s hear the other side.

Yes Bader had a nice ALDS, but that’s where the good news ends. As you are aware .240 isn’t a great average and it was so bad he ended up getting WAIVED by the Yanks and then signed with the Reds..because they couldn’t trade him for a bucket of baseballs.

So they traded Monty for a guy who was average at best (except for the one week you posted) and then they cut him and proceeded to not make the playoffs. And as a Yankees fan you would be aware that their pitching staff was an absolute dumpster fire this season and the main reason they failed to make the playoffs. I can bring the stats, but it’s just easier if you agree with that.

You may think I’m full of crap. That’s your right. It’s probably your blind allegiance to the Yankees that makes this difficult but most Yankees fans accept that Cashman is a bad GM, the Yankees are underperforming for a big market team, George would have already fired him if he were alive, and the Monty trade is just one of several bone headed moves that have resulted in their decline.

Since you ask for sources here are a couple:

Reactions: sclawman77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT