ADVERTISEMENT

War Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamecockCentral

Official Account
Jan 11, 2004
South Carolina, USA
Hope everyone has seen the weekend get off to a great start! Here is our newest edition of The War Room. Please note, no football recruiting updates in this one; our ECU visitor list has been posted since earlier this week and recruiting scoop, updates, and follow-up interviews will begin rolling out on Saturday afternoon in separate message board posts and features. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

NFL Draft Insight

In the last edition of the War Room, I spoke with NFL Draft Analyst Rob Rang of CBSSports.com to get his take on South Carolina players who were drafted to the NFL earlier this year. This time, we have Rob's take on a few of South Carolina's future draft prospects:

On DE Jadeveon Clowney:

"We're talking about a guy who I really thought he was the best player on defense last season for the Gamecocks. I realize how ridiculous that sounds with a true freshman and a couple guys who went in the first round, but Clowney is so rare who at 18 years old who has legitimate NFL ability. He could have played in the NFL last season and been a solid player. There's no ceiling for this guy. If he continues to develop and show the work ethic he's already demonstrated, I think he has the possibility to be an exceptionally high first round pick. He has a combination of speed, power, and maneuverability that frankly I didn't see from Devin Taylor. He's got long arms, and greater height than (Melvin) Ingram. He was able to prove he deserved that lofty ranking (out of high school). He's just a true sophomore, so the fact that he's going to be there for at least two more seasons has to be exciting for USC fans."

On RB Marcus Lattimore:

"I was just as impressed with his true freshman season. He had I think 37 attempts in his second game against Georgia there. We are all holding our breath to see if he will be the dominant back he was coming off his knee injury."

"He's without a doubt the number one running back prospect in the country at this point but he's going to have to prove he's healthy. He has incredible power, good vision, he hits the hole hard. It's such a cliche, but he truly does great stronger as the game goes on. In that way he's similar to the last couple of SEC RBs to go in the first round, (Mark) Ingram and (Trent) Richardson from Alabama. The fact that he's not a true burner and of course will be coming off this knee injury and has toted the rock as many times as he has, that's going to be a little bit of a concern. That's the reason I say he's not a slam dunk first rounder. He's kind of in that Eddie George kind of style. To earn a first round pick in today's NFL, you usually have to have great speed. For my money, he's the top running back."

On S D.J. Swearinger:

"He's a very intriguing player, a physical player. There are some coverage limitations there. With the NFL being so pass-oriented, there is a limited number of teams that would be able to use him consistently. I would like to see him make a few more plays there. I know he can go against the run and be a physical hitter. I want to see him be more consistent in coverage."

On DE Devin Taylor:

"Very intriguing skill set with that height and speed. Usually when you have have tall defensive lineman they rarely have great flexibility. I see some stiffness in his hips. While he has long arms to reach out, he misses some plays. I think he can be a guy who's going to rack up very impressive numbers. I do have some reservations about where he fits in the NFL. He is not a spectacular defensive player against the run because of his height. I see him more of a second or third round pick who I think is going to put up first round numbers. I know he's a good guy off the field, too."

Scouting report on Gamecock commitments

Rivals.com southeast analyst Kynon Codrington came to the network from ESPN, where he was the southeast's director of player personnel for NIKE's The Opening, Gridiron Kings, and Elite 11. Those camps have become recognized as some of the most talent-laden in the country. I asked Kynon to provide our subscribers with his take on several Carolina commitments he has seen in person and on film. Here is a look:

Charlotte (N.C.) Vance ILB Larenz Bryant :
"Had one of the best NIKE Camp performances at LB I've ever seen in six years doing this. Bryant showed great range in seven-on-seven period and collected a handful of interceptions. He was just as good in one-on-one's showing he can stick with running backs coming out of the junction point on angle routes. Possesses great size and downhill burst. Closes in a hurry and takes proper angles in pursuit. Should be an immediate contributor when he arrives to Columbia"

Lithonia (Ga.) OLB David Johnson:
"Impressed at the Georgia NIKE Camp. Spent a lot of time at DE. On film, he is a physical and aggressive defensive lineman. He disrupts and is consistently in the backfield. Uses his hands well to disengage and get up field. Lacks prototypical height at end, but is very capable to be a contributor at the BCS level."

*Chris' note: USC has Johnson on the board to start his career at inside linebacker.

Marietta (Ga.) Kell ATH Brendan Langley:
"One of the top players in Georgia. Excellent with the ball in his hands on offense. Can play any skill position and be effective. Projects as a corner or safety in college, but he could get some offensive snaps to provide a spark. Good hips, size, and linear speed. Ultra-quick and smooth in his back pedal. Needs to improve his jam and punch in press coverage."

Raleigh (N.C.) Wakefield QB Connor Mitch:
"Ideal shotgun spread QB. Distributes the ball very well and is a good decision maker. Above average arm strength and has great accuracy. Accuracy may hinge on short, horizontal throws on swing passes, hitches, and screens. Doesn't show a big downfield arm, but has the strength to get it there when needed."
Briar Woods (Va.) Ashburn LB Matt Rolin:
"Athletic 'backer with tremendous range. Elite closing speed and pop. Big hitter and sure tackler. Drives through ball carriers and always finishes the play."

Orlando (Fla.) Jones DL Devin Washington:
"DL MVP at the Orlando NIKE Camp. Good hand placement and has a great first step. Needs to add weight to frame, but that should come in college. Coached by former University of Miami and NFL DL Kenard Lang. Student of the game and flashes the tools to be a solid BCS weak side defensive end."

Gamecocks in pro football

Beginning next Tuesday, David Cloninger will have stats/updates on every Gamecock alum playing in the NFL. Here is an update from him on where things currently stand roster-wise (previously published on the site September 5, in case you missed it.)

John Abraham, DE, Atlanta
Antonio Allen, S, New York Jets (practice squad)
Jasper Brinkley, LB, Minnesota
Sheldon Brown, CB, Cleveland
Emanuel Cook, S, Baltimore (On injured reserve. Will not play this season after breaking his leg in the preseason)
Jared Cook, TE, Tennessee
Chris Culliver, CB, San Francisco
Patrick DiMarco, FB, Kansas City (practice squad)
Stephon Gilmore, CB, Buffalo
Tori Gurley, WR, Minnesota (practice squad)
Melvin Ingram, LB, San Diego
Lemuel Jeanpierre, OL, Seattle
Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago
Johnathan Joseph, CB, Houston
Cliff Matthews, DE, Atlanta
Jamon Meredith, OL, Tampa Bay
Captain Munnerlyn, CB, Carolina
Sidney Rice, WR, Seattle
Travian Robertson, DT, Atlanta
Dunta Robinson, CB, Atlanta
Darian Stewart, S, St. Louis
Ryan Succop, PK, Kansas City
Rokevious Watkins, OL, St. Louis
Travelle Wharton, OL, Cincinnati (On injured reserve. Will not play this season after tearing his ACL in the preseason)

Here is an update on Gamecock players in the CFL:

CB Fred Bennett has tallied 24 tackles for the Calgary Stampeders this season.

After being released by the Calgary Stampeders, RB Cory Boyd landed with the Edmonton Eskimos. With that team, he has carried 11 times for 47 yards and caught three passes for 37 yards. Before being released, he had 82 carries for 447 yards and two touchdowns for Calgary as well as 23 catches for 70 yards and two touchdowns.

QB Stephen Garcia is still listed on the Montreal Alouettes' nine-game injured last on the official team site, as well as on the CFL's official player list.

OL Na'Shan Goddard is on the Calgary Stampeders' nine-game injured list currently.

S Brandon Isaac has tallied 24 tackles, a fumble recovery, and two sacks for the Toronto Argonauts in the 2012 season.

OL Justin Sorenson is on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' roster and is the team's starting center as of the last game (September 2).

CB Carlos Thomas has 16 tackles and an interception for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats so far this season.

Gamecock hoops recruiting

Some information/recaps on the latest happenings in the hoops recruiting world from Glenn Elrod:

Roberson not visiting but will still see USC coaches this weekend: Four-star forward Tyler Roberson had to reschedule his unofficial visit that was supposed to take place this weekend to South Carolina. College coaches are allowed to hit the road however starting Sunday, and South Carolina plans to be in New Jersey to see Roberson in-person.

Thornwell will also receive visit: Sindarius Thornwell recently moved to Oak Hill for his senior season and will host the Gamecock coaches Sunday for a visit at his new school. The Gamecocks remain a major player despite the move to Virginia. NC State will also be in Sunday to visit.

Big-man no longer on the board: Gamecock post target Desmond Ringer (both have Gamecock offers).

Stroman receives fourth star: 2014 Gamecock point guard commit Marcus Stroman from Keenan High School jumped in the rankings and was ranked 71st (four-star) in the most recent Rivals150. I personally was already a big believer in Stroman's talent but he proved to the national recruiting analyst at Rivals.com, Eric Bossi that he is worthy of a high ranking this summer. Look for Stroman in the lineup early and often once he is eligible in 2014.

Another high-major offer for Ajukwa: Local Columbia standout Austin Ajukwa of Cardinal Newman picked up another major offer this month when Boston College pulled the trigger on the 2013 guard. If you will remember, Coach (Frank) Martin personally offered Ajukwa in late July after he and his father visited campus unofficially. Austin told me this week that he will be lining up some visits very soon. South Carolina is in good shape here along with Wake Forest and Clemson.

Reminder: If you're an annual member and are not signed up for mobile text alerts, go here to update your preferences.

Not an annual member? You can save nearly 20% per year on your subscription costs just by upgrading, and you also receive mobile text alerts for free plus all the other benefits of your GamecockCentral.com subscription. Click here to upgrade!

Thanks to everyone for reading this edition of the War Room! Stay tuned this week for more team and recruiting coverage!

This post was edited on 9/7 4:41 PM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News