ADVERTISEMENT

(Warning Clemson related)We new this for yrs .

offense when they face Clemson next season, at least if one ACC coach is to be believed.

A quote from an ACC assistant coach stood out to CoachingSearch.com managing editor Chris Vannini when he was looking through the Athlon Sports college football preview issue.

“They’ll steal your signals,” the coach said. “People don’t want to talk about it, but the teams that give them fits were NC State and Pitt, because they huddled.”

Before Alabama, Auburn and South Carolina fans feel they’ve uncovered the reason behind Clemson’s victories last season over their teams, it’s worth noting that the coach’s observation may not be fully on the mark. Kevin Flaherty of Clemson 247 notes that N.C. State scored only 17 points against the Tigers’ defense last season, putting up 397 yards of total offense. Pittsburgh, however, did score 43 points on 464 yards of offense.

Obviously, there are key details missing, notably how many times the anonymous ACC coach believes this happened. That said, word will likely get around to Auburn and South Carolina to be extra careful this fall.

They must not have stole Troy's signals either cuz if not for the refs, Troy would have won

Reactions: funktavious
They must not have stole Troy's signals either cuz if not for the refs, Troy would have won

get over it , they won the championship. The would haves and could haves does nothing for Carolina to catch them

I know it is Clemson and all, but stealing signals are part of the game. There is not a defensive coach in America that is not trying to figure out the signs coming in from the sideline. If you are dumb enough to repeat signals from game to game, then you deserve to have your signals stolen. That is on you.

This is also why Carolina sent Bentley to the sideline after every play. I would rather have the traditional WR run the plays in vs have the QB run back and forth, but it was the reason. It looked to me that Clemson was picking up plays versus Carolina based off of formation and pre-snap motion
I always have to take issue with the 'it's on you' mentality.....if you leave your car parked in your driveway and someone steals it 'it's on you' .....if you went on a weekend trip and your house was broken into 'it's on you' ...... It most assuredly is wise to change the signals of course....any moron knows that but stop there....don't go to the 'it's on you'.......cheating is always going to be cheating and it's always going to be on the cheater............not on you.....now I did not say you might not be that smart if you didn't change them but again the "ON" or "FAULT" or "WRONGDOING" will always be on a cheater.

I always have to take issue with the 'it's on you' mentality.....if you leave your car parked in your driveway and someone steals it 'it's on you' .....if you went on a weekend trip and your house was broken into 'it's on you' ...... It most assuredly is wise to change the signals of course....any moron knows that but stop there....don't go to the 'it's on you'.......cheating is always going to be cheating and it's always going to be on the cheater............not on you.....now I did not say you might not be that smart if you didn't change them but again the "ON" or "FAULT" or "WRONGDOING" will always be on a cheater.

Uh, grand theft auto vs. noticing signs which are visible to the naked eye and reacting to them during a game?

Yea, exactly the same thing. Perfect analogy.

Uh, grand theft auto vs. noticing signs which are visible to the naked eye and reacting to them during a game?

Yea, exactly the same thing. Perfect analogy.

I think sitcoms with constantly snarky dialogue have rendered many people unable to carry on a conversation without resorting to sarcasm...I think they actually hear the canned recorded laughter track when they make said statements.
Comparing things that are one's property (physical or intellectual) being intercepted or stolen is analogous. Identity theft is in the news weekly. Come on man, you are behind the times here

I think sitcoms with constantly snarky dialogue have rendered many people unable to carry on a conversation without resorting to sarcasm...I think they actually hear the canned recorded laughter track when they make said statements.
Comparing things that are one's property (physical or intellectual) being intercepted or stolen is analogous. Identity theft is in the news weekly. Come on man, you are behind the times here

If you really think these things are comparable, more power to you. I'm not going to change your mind.

There is no way this is comparable. I think our differing opinions come in that I am talking about a competitive advantage through hard work and preparation. I have studied your game to a point that I know what you are going to do before you do it. That is me outworking you, plan and simple. If you make it easy for me to figure out what you are going to do through formation or tendencies or literally telling me what you are going to run, then it is on you. That is part of the reason that Clemson beat Carolina last year. The plays were being run in from the sidelines, so not stealing of signals, but the tendencies made it easy to figure out the play. That is why Muschamp says never again will this team be outworked. Coaches included

It is easily fixed for the stealing of play calls and it is exactly what Carolina did last year. Huddle the players and tell everyone the play, but teams today are trying to get he advantage by running plays fast and calling the next play from the sideline. If you choose to make your call for all to see and hear, you have opened yourself for the other team to see them as well. Your team got the advantage of call plays without huddling but take the risk of having them figured out. It is a trade off. You do not get the advantage of talking the plays from the sideline and the advantage of not letting people know what you are doing on the college level.

It is not cheating. You are making your play public and hoping the other team does not figure it out, it is not their fault if you make it easy to figure out.

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
There is no way this is comparable. I think our differing opinions come in that I am talking about a competitive advantage through hard work and preparation. I have studied your game to a point that I know what you are going to do before you do it. That is me outworking you, plan and simple. If you make it easy for me to figure out what you are going to do through formation or tendencies or literally telling me what you are going to run, then it is on you. That is part of the reason that Clemson beat Carolina last year. The plays were being run in from the sidelines, so not stealing of signals, but the tendencies made it easy to figure out the play. That is why Muschamp says never again will this team be outworked. Coaches included

It is easily fixed for the stealing of play calls and it is exactly what Carolina did last year. Huddle the players and tell everyone the play, but teams today are trying to get he advantage by running plays fast and calling the next play from the sideline. If you choose to make your call for all to see and hear, you have opened yourself for the other team to see them as well. Your team got the advantage of call plays without huddling but take the risk of having them figured out. It is a trade off. You do not get the advantage of talking the plays from the sideline and the advantage of not letting people know what you are doing on the college level.

It is not cheating. You are making your play public and hoping the other team does not figure it out, it is not their fault if you make it easy to figure out.

Careful, @ulysses5 will get offended and say you are behind the times and watching sitcoms.

get over it , they won the championship. The would haves and could haves does nothing for Carolina to catch them

Get over yourself
Clemson won 7 games by 7 pts or less and lost to unranked Pitt. They may be better than gamecocks but not better than Pitt and barely better than 7 other teams including Troy They were as lucky as good

Get over yourself
Clemson won 7 games by 7 pts or less and lost to unranked Pitt. They may be better than gamecocks but not better than Pitt and barely better than 7 other teams including Troy They were as lucky as good
Come on man. You don't luck your way into a National Championship in College Football.

Reactions: torsten
Come on man. You don't luck your way into a National Championship in College Football.

BS. Remember when we sucked and Florida blocked 2 fg and an extra point to beat us by one and they won the national championship in 2006 That was luck

Last edited:
Reactions: ulysses5

Not saying I agree that one is comparable with the other but arguing that one advantage gained through hard work and preparation makes it less of a crime. Many cat burglars spend many nights casing a residence, studying and preparing for their crime. Does that make their crime less criminal than the guy who throws a brick through the window and climbs in to steal the tv and whatever he sees laying within the open eye?

Reactions: ulysses5
I suspect this post was made by a Clemson graduate based on the spelling error/incorrect usage of "new"

Everybody steals signals, or tries to. Takes a lot of film work to figure out the signals, and who the hot guys is on the sidelines, but these programs seem to all have about 10 "analysts" these days. Would imagine a couple do nothing but that. But the bottom line is it is about players. Does anyone really think that Clemson dominated that game because they stole signals? Hardly.

Uhhhhhh... OK

If you really think these things are comparable, more power to you. I'm not going to change your mind.

I do think they are but the comment I made originally was about the idea that a thief/cheater/all around non principled person was not the one at fault when they took something that was not theirs or for their use but instead the owner was at fault for ALLOWING the thing to be stolen or intercepted.
Careful, @ulysses5 will get offended and say you are behind the times and watching sitcoms.

I'm not offended Expat, sorry if what I said was dumb but my post originally was less about whether someone stealing your children's bicycle was the same as stealing signals than about the idea that you're to blame if someone else steals something/anything of yours. Like I said yeah you may be dumb, even arguably incompetent in the case of a coach who used the same signals all year BUT that DOES NOT translate to the 'taker' being justified in their taking. I'm thinking here of an objective standard of right and wrong that transcends all else. Ideally....(yes I know we live a real, less than ideal world but I think if we don't pursue an ideal world and attempt to meet the ideal standard then we will live in a whole lot less ideal world eventually).....no one would try to capture signals because it would be less than honorable ..instead they would try to beat you straight up...
For me the anything goes..whatever it takes to win approach is a can of worms that once opened is hard to get the lid back on. I actually like the commercial where the kid tells the ref that the basketball actually did touch him before going out of bounds even though it gives the other team the advantage

Get over yourself

Bwahhahahahahahahahahaha. That is loser talk my friend. Wow.

BS. Remember when we sucked and Florida blocked 2 fg and an extra point to beat us by one and they won the national championship in 2006 That was luck

In the record books, it just lists Florida and Clemson as the national champs in 2006 and 2016. No asterisks that say, "Florida was lucky to beat SC" or "Clemson barely beat Troy" .

Here's my two cents. If you're dumb enough to have signals that can be stolen, you deserve it. And Clemsux stealing signals ain't our problem.

I've felt the taters had bag men only to be rivaled by Bamer and Auburn over the past 35 years. They have the probation to prove it, and they went from losing 5 in a row to us to having a #2 recruiting class. I guess the HS kids finally realized dumbo was a great coach after all these years:confused:

So stealing signals is the least of our tater worries.

And here's my two cents on making your QB sprint to the sideline to get a play, and sprint back to the LOS. Nothing like a 40-60 yard sprint before every play to keep the legs fresh. (tongue in cheek for some of our less gifted readers). IT's the dumbest damn thing I've ever seen. I saw a HS team do that once, needless to say they were a losing team.

If you're worried about stealing signals, then run a receiver or a RB in with the play.....or get smarter at hiding your signals.............

Reactions: jonesz21
Not saying I agree that one is comparable with the other but arguing that one advantage gained through hard work and preparation makes it less of a crime. Many cat burglars spend many nights casing a residence, studying and preparing for their crime. Does that make their crime less criminal than the guy who throws a brick through the window and climbs in to steal the tv and whatever he sees laying within the open eye?

Breaking and entering is a crime. There are clearly laws against it. Is there a NCAA rule, agreement or anything else that says "if you can figure out your opponents' signs, you are duty bound to ignore that knowledge and in no way anticipate what is coming during the next play."? If there is language such as that, I will agree with your point.

Otherwise....two completely different things.

Here's my two cents. If you're dumb enough to have signals that can be stolen, you deserve it. And Clemsux stealing signals ain't our problem.

I've felt the taters had bag men only to be rivaled by Bamer and Auburn over the past 35 years. They have the probation to prove it, and they went from losing 5 in a row to us to having a #2 recruiting class. I guess the HS kids finally realized dumbo was a great coach after all these years:confused:

And here's my two cents on making your QB sprint to the sideline to get a play, and sprint back to the LOS. Nothing like a 40-60 yard sprint before every play to keep the legs fresh. (tongue in cheek for some of our less gifted readers). IT's the dumbest damn thing I've ever seen. I saw a HS team do that once, needless to say they were a losing team.

If you're worried about stealing signals, then run a receiver or a RB in with the play.....or get smarter at hiding your signals.............

Post of year

He went to the sidelines because of the loud noise. Did you watch the game??

So what your saying is if Muschamp and the players pick up tendencies and signals of the other team in film study they should call the other team mid week and tell them they have figured out their tales, signs, and tendencies before they play. If not they will be cheating
No I believe all coaches from each side need to watch film together to keep each other honest. You know like the honor system. Do you really believe that was the point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT