ADVERTISEMENT

Was Forced To Listen To Todd Ellis on Saturday -- Worst Play-By-Play Announcer in Football History

LaborLawyer

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2004
As a play-by-play announcer, Todd Ellis is by far the worst that I have ever heard. Todd demonstrates an amazing inability to describe to the listener what is happening on the football field.

I was working at an event for my Church on Saturday afternoon. (This prevented me from watching the game.) A fellow Church member, who is neither a football fan nor a Gamecock fan, was working right beside me which means my fellow Church Member was forced to listen to the radio broadcast. Without me saying a word to him, my fellow Church member commented that this was the worst play-by-play announcing that he had ever heard. My fellow Church Member periodically would yell out, "How many yards on the play!" "What yard line!" "What happened on the play?"

Todd Ellis has been terrible for years. My hope was that he would get better over time as a play by play announcer. He has not. He is awful. Listening to him do play by play is painful.

If I ever commit a violent crime, make me listen to Todd Ellis do play-by-play and I swear that I will never commit a violent crime again.

It is important that I qualify my comments. I like Todd Ellis. I think he is smart. I think that he is insightful. I think he is articulate. I like his pre-game comments. I like his post-game comments. I like his comments when there is a timeout on the field. His comments and observations between plays are absolutely fine. He simply does an awful job as a play-by-play announcer. If I said Todd Ellis's play by play announcing was amateurish, I would be insulting all of the amateur high school sports announcers who do an effective job of describing what is happening on the field. Todd could learn a great deal simply by listening to radio broadcasts of high school football games. [Note: I don't have a problem with Todd yelling/exhibiting excitement in his voice. I don't have a problem with Todd's corny, "Are you kidding me!" line. I just want to be able to generate a mental image of what's happening on the field. Todd makes doing so impossible.]

If radio play-by-play announcers were evaluated on each play like football players are evaluated, I am 100% certain that Todd Ellis would be the lowest rated play-by-play announcer in the country -- even if high school football radio announcers are included.

You would think that the folks with responsibility for USC football broadcasts would have required Todd Ellis to go to broadcasting school to learn to do play by play announcing.

If I used a spray bottle on Todd Ellis after each play in which he failed to adequately describe what just happened on the field, Todd Ellis would be drenched by the middle of the first quarter.

How bad was Todd Ellis with his play by play announcing?

I stopped listening because his play-by-play announcing was so bad. This had absolutely nothing to do with how bad the Gamecocks were playing. Those who know me well know that I have never left a game early. I stay until the bitter end, no matter how bad we are playing. (I've missed 3 home games over the past 33 years.) I have never stopped watching a TV broadcast and I have never stopped listening to a radio broadcast when forced to listen by radio. (Thank God for televised games!)

Does Todd Ellis know how bad he is as a play by play announcer?
Does USC recognize how awful Todd Ellis is as a play by play announcer?
Does Learfield/IMG recognize how terrible Todd Ellis is as a play by play announcer?
Does Tommy Suggs know how weak Todd Ellis is as a play by play announcer? (I think Tommy does.)

If Todd Ellis is to remain a part of the broadcast team, then he should be doing color commentary. I like Tommy Suggs. While he's no superstar, I like his honesty, his humor, and that he does his job -- unlike Todd Ellis who does not seem to understand what a play-by-play announcer is supposed to do.

If USC and Learfield/IMG want Todd Ellis to remain part of the broadcast team, then bring in a professional play-by-play announcer to handle the play-by-play component and allow Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs to share the color commentary role. I think Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs have good chemistry and they seem to genuinely like working with each other.

Me Doing a Full Review of a Todd Ellis Radio Broadcast While Watching the Video of Each Play -- With Todd Ellis:

Me: Todd, tell me what just happened on that play.

Todd: Hilinski handed off to Dowdle who ran off tackle on the right side for a gain of 3 yards.

Me (Yelling): Why the f___ didn't you say that on your radio broadcast?

Me: After that play, Todd, on what yard line are the Gamecocks, what down is it, and how many yards do we need for a first down?

Todd: The ball is on the 28 yard line. 2nd and 7 for the Gamecocks.

Me: What happened on this next play?

Todd: Hilinski threw a short out pass to Bryan Edwards for a 5 yard gain.

Me: So, Todd, what were the down, distance, and yard line after that play?

Todd: South Carolina had a 3rd and 2 from its own 33 yard line.

Me (Yelling): Why the f___ didn't you say that on your radio broadcast.

[This goes on for every play of my review with Todd regarding his radio broadcast. After the review, Todd tells me, "I'm really glad that you liked my radio broadcast!" And I say to Todd, "Are you f___ing kidding me!!! Todd smiles and responds, "My man!!! -- and gives me a fist bump.]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News