ADVERTISEMENT

Was Miss St overrated? Or is UK a true top 15 team?

KY is a senior dominated team next year will be a drop off......and if they continue to be good...stoops will be gone to a better job.

How can you say that about a team who has beaten you 4 years in a row?
You have beaten us 4 years in a row, but you're still over-rated IMO (abd Vegas' too since you're ranked and a home 'dog). How can that be you ask......well beating us 4 years in a row is not anything that justifies a power ranking....we have been pretty crappy the last 4 years if you want me to be honest.
Beat UGA, Auburn, Bama, etc a few years in a row and then I'll say you've earned some cred.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
You have beaten us 4 years in a row, but you're still over-rated IMO (abd Vegas' too since you're ranked and a home 'dog). How can that be you ask......well beating us 4 years in a row is not anything that justifies a power ranking....we have been pretty crappy the last 4 years if you want me to be honest.
Beat UGA, Auburn, Bama, etc a few years in a row and then I'll say you've earned some cred.
But we haven't done that either...just sayin.

IMO the best answer to give is that typically all CFB teams are misunderstood in the first 2-4 games of the season as teams learn about themselves and play against weaker lower-division opponents. A member of the SEC which is always thought of highly will be disproportionately estimated during this time as they run up strong win-loss records or have lopsided wins.

Kentucky has played two such weak opponents thus far in Central Michigan and Murray State. Central Mich. is 1-3 thus far and also got routed 31-7 by Kansas. Not Kansas State mind you, but KANSAS! Murray State is 0-4 and has been outscored by a combined 175-36 thus far.

UK is a good program however - they were projected to be a dark horse in the East last season, but ended up 7-6, which for UK in recent years isn't a bad season. Stoops seems to be returning UK to the best years that Rich Brooks had the program: regularly having modest winning seasons and bowl eligibility.

This season they are a strong running offense but not so much in the passing department: as a match-up I like our offensive balance more-so than theirs. UK currently leads the SEC in rushing YPG, and are dead last in the SEC in passing YPG. In total YPG we're both pretty even, but if our defense can game-plan to contain UK's run game to any degree - they romped against their weaker opponents - and force their QB to be the offense more for them, we could control their scoring but more importantly how long their offense stays on the field, and we'll have a chance. But we need to keep UK from converting 3rd downs, something our defense has struggled with in past recent seasons...

Miss. State also played some weaker opponents early on, in Stephen F. Austin and LA-Laff., where the Bulldogs romped in both games outscoring both 119-16. That's where most of their stats come from this season. They also beat Kansas State 31-10, but against a solid SEC team that score should be expected. The UK game was a downpour I understand for most all of it, and the weather conditions could have played a role, with UK being a predominant power run team nowadays.

Important thing USC needs to do is come with the same mindset and physicality they brought against Vanderbilt. I felt last season with the pre-game handshake brouhaha UK seemed to feed more energy off of it than our own team did, when it was our team that initiated it, and it was in our house. The rest of the game it seemed to me that UK wanted it more and brought the game to the Gamecocks all game long. We need to turn that around, and come at them hard....

Oh, great ryansruncock,

You're exactly right...of course to a point.
I know the vast majority of Kentucky fans are highly skilled at managing our overall confidence levels. Competing in many national championships have taught us to show the respect, confidence & grace.
Our fanbase is vast and now enjoying a very powerful football season.
Please allow us this week to revel at the moment.
No need to reign in our confidence.

Good luck after this weekend.

We are proud,
We are BBN.

Exactly right.....to a point. That point being when it is on your own fanbase's forum, and not on ours. In that instance, the need to reign in your confidence may not be necessary, but the privilege to do so is most definitely there. Deal.......

But we haven't done that either...just sayin.

The title of this thread is "Was Miss St overrated? Or is UK a true top 15 team?" No where in there do I see anything about South Carolina. To say, "yes, they are legit" is to give credit. They haven't done that. We haven't either, but....that was never the question, so why even bother to bring that up in this thread??

The title of this thread is "Was Miss St overrated? Or is UK a true top 15 team?" No where in there do I see anything about South Carolina. To say, "yes, they are legit" is to give credit. They haven't done that. We haven't either, but....that was never the question, so why even bother to bring that up in this thread??
Because we aren't experts on the subject...do we have any credibility to discuss credibility?

This should be a terrific SEC game and a great atmosphere at (ahem) Kroger Field. I respect SC and definitely believe they are capable of beating UK. We haven't handled success very well in the past, but know this, this will be by far the most talented UK you've seen in a long time.

Name me one school who has beaten UGA, Ala and Auburn a few years in a row, stupid statement. After Sat it will be five in a row and we will feel justified.

Reactions: WayneinSarasota
OK....point taken although if you didn't know what I meant, you're lacking a lot of mental capacity. But for those short on brains, my comment was intended to say something more along the lines of "beat a few ranked teams every year, get ranked and stay ranked for a few seasons, and then your cat can growl". As it is, here is what your football program record has done in the last 5 years (other than beat us which, as I said, is not saying much):
2013 2-10 unranked no bowl
2014 5-7 unranked no bowl
2015 5-7 unranked no bowl
2016 7-6 unranked lost to GT in Taxslayer bowl
2017 7-6 unranked lost to Northwestern in Music City Bowl

So 26-35, two meaningless bowl games, and no bowl wins. We at least finished in the Top 4 once in the same period.

As for what you'll be after Saturday, that's just a prediction and talk because you do not know that.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
OK....point taken although if you didn't know what I meant, you're lacking a lot of mental capacity. But for those short on brains, my comment was intended to say something more along the lines of "beat a few ranked teams every year, get ranked and stay ranked for a few seasons, and then your cat can growl". As it is, here is what your football program record has done in the last 5 years (other than beat us which, as I said, is not saying much):
2013 2-10 unranked no bowl
2014 5-7 unranked no bowl (Beat SC)
2015 5-7 unranked no bowl (Beat SC)
2016 7-6 unranked lost to GT in Taxslayer bowl (Beat SC)
2017 7-6 unranked lost to Northwestern in Music City Bowl (Beat SC)

So 26-35, two meaningless bowl games, and no bowl wins. We at least finished in the Top 4 once in the same period.

As for what you'll be after Saturday, that's just a prediction and talk because you do not know that.

Fixed it...

You made the statement wise guy, if that's not what you meant well I guess I'm stupid not you but I doubt it. We have played two ranked teams this year and beaten both handily but I guess that doesn't count in your mind, well after Sat and we curb stomp the Cocks maybe you will sing a different tune but I doubt it!

Exactly right.....to a point. That point being when it is on your own fanbase's forum, and not on ours. In that instance, the need to reign in your confidence may not be necessary, but the privilege to do so is most definitely there. Deal.......

Point taken Conway. :eek: anal much?
Enjoy the game thoroughly and immensely sir!

Not sure why some of my fellow UK fans come here and get offended that you guys expect to win on saturday. Probably the same guys who got pissed off that a few MSU fans came to our board and expected to win.

I expect a very tough game. I think UK SHOULD win, but it's probably closer to a coin flip.

Reactions: mktmaker
One of those has to be true.

One of those doesn't have to be true really. Teams can just have off nights and other teams can have great nights.

Back when Connor Shaw was here we played Florida and got curb stomped. If we had played them 10 times that year, we would have won 8 of them easy. We were definitely NOT overrated and Florida wasn't a good team. But absolutely nothing went our way in that game and we made a bunch of mistakes.

So I don't think a team has to be overrated just because they lose a game.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
I loves these kinds of mental gymnastics.
Thats actually not that far fetched. We'll be replacing 3 offensive linemen and about 8 guys in the defensive starting rotation next year. We have nice depth these days but experience is hard to replace. I don't however believe teams would come after Stoops this early.

UK must have the most insecure fan base on planet earth with all these cats over here seeking approval from the lowly gamecocks. Y'all are an amazing bunch. I can't believe I have lived to see the day when Kentucky has a decent football team what is the world coming to. The fact is we hung 10 in a row on y'all just like we did Vandy and that is certainly rare in our record with Power 5 teams.

Both...neither...we'll see. I think they hit on all cylinders last week and played a slightly overrated team. Still, the score tied until well into the 2nd half. If we're going to win, we have to punch them in the mouth offensively. Make them have to keep up with us.

UK must have the most insecure fan base on planet earth with all these cats over here seeking approval from the lowly gamecocks. Y'all are an amazing bunch. I can't believe I have lived to see the day when Kentucky has a decent football team what is the world coming to. The fact is we hung 10 in a row on y'all just like we did Vandy and that is certainly rare in our record with Power 5 teams.
I'm just interested in what you guys are seeing. Reading a lot more than I'm posting. Just excited about the game, and figure you guys are easier to interact with than Vols fans. Am I wrong?

You made the statement wise guy, if that's not what you meant well I guess I'm stupid not you but I doubt it. We have played two ranked teams this year and beaten both handily but I guess that doesn't count in your mind, well after Sat and we curb stomp the Cocks maybe you will sing a different tune but I doubt it!

Its an interesting old colloquialism, I wonder how far back it goes and what its origin is. They didn't have curbs in the Wild West, so its def not a Cowboy thing. Now they did have curbs in some cities early on, and perhaps city dwellers once used to spend time stomping on those curbs to test their strength. If so, I can see how people would look at a person who had just tried to stomp a curb and label them a "curb stomper", and it would most certainly have had a negative connotation.

Reactions: paladin181

bahahaha
tired-of-the-bullshit-meme-beautiful-photos-shit-just-got-real-retro-vintage-ecards-meme-humor-of-tired-of-the-bullshit-meme.jpg

UK must have the most insecure fan base on planet earth with all these cats over here seeking approval from the lowly gamecocks. .

Ahem.... these boards are networked together under the “Rivals” moniker..... I think cross talk between opposing fans is the point

Seeking conversation and reading our opponents takes....”approval” is BS; we only want Scoreboard

UK is a better team on both sides of the ball.
They are they home team and feels like they have a chip on their shoulder.
Fire away but I feel like this is a double digit Kentucky win.

UK is a better team on both sides of the ball.
They are they home team and feels like they have a chip on their shoulder.
Fire away but I feel like this is a double digit Kentucky win.

Offensively UK is the better rushing team and SC is the better passing team, that usually favors the running team, as long as they can be at least adequate passing the ball. I don’t know if UK has an adequate passing game, nobody does. I think SC has a better than adequate running game this year. So SC is the more balanced team offensively. That only helps SC though if KY does not dominate TOP with a running game that SC cannot slow down. We will see.

Defensively, UK is more experienced and though roughly equal on the DL and in the secondary to UK, the Cats have a big advantage at LB. The one good trait of the SC D the past few seasons has been causing turnovers, and they will need some in this game IMO to win this game.

I would give the SC Spec teams units the edge as long as Debo is on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT