ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT...Best place to get shrimp for Frogmore in Columbia or Lexington...

Chefs choice in white rock usually has fresh shrimp for a fair price. $8 or so for mediums $10 or so for large. They typically have a few different sizes. SAMs clubs has super big 12-16- frozen for like $11 a pound. They are good if you like big shrimp.

Originally posted by b3golf:
Chefs choice in white rock usually has fresh shrimp for a fair price. $8 or so for mediums $10 or so for large. They typically have a few different sizes. SAMs clubs has super big 12-16- frozen for like $11 a pound. They are good if you like big shrimp.
SAM's frozen shrimp

farm raised

in Thailand

South Carolinians should never eat that crap

Not sure about a fair price per pound, but the Palmetto Seafood Company on Gervais Street in Columbia has never done me wrong. I don't live in Columbia anymore, but I always used them for shrimp in Frogmore Stews I prepared at Carolina tailgates. If I recall the price for large shrimp was around 12-23 per pound. Likely has changed since I left, but a great place nonetheless!

Not that this is any answer to your question but a funny story from back in the late 70's when I had a fresh Frogmore shrimp delivery route I would run. I would drive down from Columbia on Friday night and haul my load back on Saturday morning and deliver 400-500lbs to a dozen or so restaurants and a bunch of individual customers that I had sold door to door that would place small orders ahead of time.
I got into this by chance at a big barbecue party at my Dad's best friends place in Beaufort. I met the guy that was dating the daughter of my Dad's best friend. He told me he was a shrimper and he would get me all I could distribute since I could earn more for his shrimp than he would get from selling his catch to fish markets. We went to work finding some repeat restaurant customers and had a deal to split the profits. He would cover my expenses and absorb losses when we had unsold spoilage. I was making a lot of money for a 17 year old kid. Each week I would deposit my sales proceeds and send him a check for his portion of the proceeds.
It was over when my supplier partner got arrested for trafficking pot. It turns out that he was mainly using his shrimp boat to transport pot and the shrimp he supplied me with were mostly purchased straight off other boats with his pot profits. I was just one of his money laundering distributors. I never had a clue until the news broke!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT