ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT-Does anyone on this board own a muscle car or hot rod?

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
I'm feeling that midlife tug of an older project car. My first car was a Camaro and I'd like to ahave another one to wrench on. I'm a very capable and knowledgeable shadetree mechanic. I had a '66 Mustang for a daily driver for about 2 years. I carried a toolbox and spare parts in the trunk and worked on it weekends to keep it going on weekdays. My coworker called me McGuyver.

What do you have? What advice would you give?

I'm right there with ya. Would love to find a 60s or 70s car to work on in retirement. I knew how to work on them in my younger days and would like to pick it up again. Probably had no business owning what I did in my teens and 20s as I totaled all of them. My favorites were my '66 Chevelle and my '70 Mach I Mustang. Unfortunately, I've had no luck at all finding anything close to what I'd like to have, so I've been customizing a golf cart and making it street legal for the time being. I must admit, that's been pretty fun. Still looking for that right project tho.

Whatever you decide, I hope you do go the 'trailer queen' route. Decide what you want, buy it or build it - whatever suits your fancy. But, by all means, drive it everywhere you go - rain or shine!

Like you, I always wanted an older model vehicle for nostalgic reasons. But, I always leaned toward older trucks. I spent years on the internet searching for my 'perfect' vehicle. Even though I am fairly skilled when it comes to working on older vehicles, I decided to get one already finished and then simply add my personal finishing touches.

I purchased a 1957 International S-100, half ton pickup about 18 months ago from a older gentleman in MN who had taken an old Iowa farm truck and rebuilt it from the ground up. I wanted something 'different' that wasn't your run of the mill everyday Ford or Chevy. Has a matte black finish, 305 Chevy V8, 700R4 automatic transmission with OD, dual exhaust w/ glass packed mufflers, power steering, tilt wheel, Pioneer AM/FM radio and CD player, bucket seats with center console, and most importantly AC for those hot Columbia summers. Can't go anywhere without people wanting to look at it, take pictures of it, and talk about it.

Just do it!

Whatever you decide, I hope you do go the 'trailer queen' route. Decide what you want, buy it or build it - whatever suits your fancy. But, by all means, drive it everywhere you go - rain or shine!

Like you, I always wanted an older model vehicle for nostalgic reasons. But, I always leaned toward older trucks. I spent years on the internet searching for my 'perfect' vehicle. Even though I am fairly skilled when it comes to working on older vehicles, I decided to get one already finished and then simply add my personal finishing touches.

I purchased a 1957 International S-100, half ton pickup about 18 months ago from a older gentleman in MN who had taken an old Iowa farm truck and rebuilt it from the ground up. I wanted something 'different' that wasn't your run of the mill everyday Ford or Chevy. Has a matte black finish, 305 Chevy V8, 700R4 automatic transmission with OD, dual exhaust w/ glass packed mufflers, power steering, tilt wheel, Pioneer AM/FM radio and CD player, bucket seats with center console, and most importantly AC for those hot Columbia summers. Can't go anywhere without people wanting to look at it, take pictures of it, and talk about it.

Just do it!
That sounds very nice. It sounds like your truck has the drivetrain out of a 3rd gen Z28. I also like the rat rod truck trend. It's a cheap way of getting into the hobby. I have a friend with a late 60's truck done that style. But he has money in it to make it look "ratty". He has the patina with a clear coat over it. I won't go the trailer queen route. I want a driver. Bare bones is fine with me. I wish I had that Mustang back now that I have the funds to work on it. It could have been nice. I traded it for a boat. A BOAT??!! What was I thinking? I recently sold that boat for $1K.

I would be looking for maybe a 2nd gen Camaro or a fox body Mustang. 4-speed would be nice but not necessary Autos are cheaper and easier to work on or replace. But I'm open minded and I really like older cars with modern improvements like disc brakes and suspension upgrades. I like cars that handle moreso than ones that go fast in a straight line.

I'm right there with ya. Would love to find a 60s or 70s car to work on in retirement. I knew how to work on them in my younger days and would like to pick it up again. Probably had no business owning what I did in my teens and 20s as I totaled all of them. My favorites were my '66 Chevelle and my '70 Mach I Mustang. Unfortunately, I've had no luck at all finding anything close to what I'd like to have, so I've been customizing a golf cart and making it street legal for the time being. I must admit, that's been pretty fun. Still looking for that right project tho.
One of my first cars was a 66 Mustang convertible that I drove my senior year at USC back in 1971. It only had a 6 cylinder engine w/3 speed tranny, but it was nice. My dad was an auto mechanic and body repairman, so he helped me get it looking like new. Sold that baby for $200 after I got out of school. Talk about a stupid move....

I'm working on a 1968 Torino GT convertible right now. It has a 390 big block in it, but I blew it up on the way home from buying it in Florida. Long story, but turns out the temp sensor wires were cut at the sensor on the intake manifold. Owner never mentioned that! It overheated on the drive (I could hear it pinging), so pulled over and had to trailer it home from Jacksonville. Just got it all torn down last weekend and looks like it is just head gaskets. Dont think its hurt, but will find out when I get it back together.

I have owned a lot of fun cars, but bought this one since I MUST have a convertible (one you own one you will understand) and it has enough room in the backseat for my two boys who are 5 and 7.

I have had a 85' Monte Carlo SS, 95' Firebird Formula, 02' Camaro Z28, 68' Camaro, 72' Vette, and an 03' Mustang Cobra Convertible with a Whipple supercharger making 560hp at the wheels. The Mustang was my boys "musclecar" until they got too big to fit in the backseat. Growing up my dad had a 31' Ford Tudor Sedan, 32' Ford Vicky, 58' and 66' Chevy C10 Pickups, and some other fun custom kit cars.

There are a lot of nice hotrods in the Charlotte area. That is where I would tell you to look.

I'm working on a 1968 Torino GT convertible right now. It has a 390 big block in it, but I blew it up on the way home from buying it in Florida. Long story, but turns out the temp sensor wires were cut at the sensor on the intake manifold. Owner never mentioned that! It overheated on the drive (I could hear it pinging), so pulled over and had to trailer it home from Jacksonville. Just got it all torn down last weekend and looks like it is just head gaskets. Dont think its hurt, but will find out when I get it back together.

I have owned a lot of fun cars, but bought this one since I MUST have a convertible (one you own one you will understand) and it has enough room in the backseat for my two boys who are 5 and 7.

I have had a 85' Monte Carlo SS, 95' Firebird Formula, 02' Camaro Z28, 68' Camaro, 72' Vette, and an 03' Mustang Cobra Convertible with a Whipple supercharger making 560hp at the wheels. The Mustang was my boys "musclecar" until they got too big to fit in the backseat. Growing up my dad had a 31' Ford Tudor Sedan, 32' Ford Vicky, 58' and 66' Chevy C10 Pickups, and some other fun custom kit cars.

There are a lot of nice hotrods in the Charlotte area. That is where I would tell you to look.
I had a 68 Torino at one time. Wasn't a GT but I liked the body style. Totally underrated vehicle if you ask me. It only had a small block, but that thing still ran very well. Memory serves, it had a pretty light body...especally considering the tanks they became in the 70s. Mine was marron. Beautiful car. Good luck with that build.

Reactions: TheReelEss

Holy Cow! You've had quite the collection. I'd like to go stroll around RK Motors in North Charlotte. I'm not going to pay their prices, but they have a large inventory.

I had a beautiful black ‘64 Chevelle back in the day — loved driving it around the USC campus.

I had a beautiful black ‘64 Chevelle back in the day — loved driving it around the USC campus.
Yeah my Chevelle was my all time favorite. Body work was done, but I drove it years with a blue metallic roof and the rest of the body was 5 different tints of primer. Forgot to mention it was an SS.
Passed by a black one for sale on the side of the road about 10 years ago for about 5K. Could kick myself for not buying it. Obviously I haven't forgotten it. Wont happen again.

This was my baby:
1995 Trans Am (AKA White Lightning)
I did a lot of upgrades to it by myself and had it run 12.8 @ 106mph in the 1/4 mile with mostly bolt on mods (Exhaust, Headers, Cam, Tuning)
Sold it because it was dangerous as everybody wanted to race me at lights (never lost either).

04240040.jpg

04300007.jpg

My grandfather left me a 1978 Pontiac Catalina and I have been restoring it the last two years. It ain't no hot rod but it has been fun to work on an engine I can understand and fix myself. I also had a Chevy Chevelle and that was my favorite. I sold it to pay for my first year at The USC.
Yeah, the old carb'ed motors are the easiest to figure out. There's not much other than fuel, air and spark to be concerned with.

I had a 68 Torino at one time. Wasn't a GT but I liked the body style. Totally underrated vehicle if you ask me. It only had a small block, but that thing still ran very well. Memory serves, it had a pretty light body...especally considering the tanks they became in the 70s. Mine was marron. Beautiful car. Good luck with that build.

Thanks. I completely agree they are underrated. Most people never even think of the early Torino's, which were basically just high end Fairlane's.

Mine is red with a white top and red/white two tone interior.

Have on older less conventional Covair. Working on it has taught my boys more about science than they have learned at school thus far.

How many 9 year olds you know that can rebuild a carburetor? With a little help of course, but he can do most of the work himself.

My dad has always been a collector and is mostly a Muscle Car Guy. He currently has a 71 Cyclone Spoiler and 69 Mach 1 351 Windsor.

He has previously owned and sold a 70 Mach 1, 66 Mustang Convertible, 63 Ford Falcon, 23 T Bucket, 71 Cutlass Convertible, 72 Mach 1, and 29 Model A.

I didn't inherit the patience to work on them myself, but it's pretty cool to see some of the heaps of junk he's bought over the years become show cars.

Best of luck to you with the purchase. Remember with this midlife crisis, it's cheaper to buy an old car than a younger wife.

Have on older less conventional Covair. Working on it has taught my boys more about science than they have learned at school thus far.

How many 9 year olds you know that can rebuild a carburetor? With a little help of course, but he can do most of the work himself.
that's awesome. My dad wasn't much of a mechanic, but his buddies were. They would let me clean parts at that age. Let's just say it was a lesson in how to do a better job with more elbow grease. Lol

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
I'm feeling that midlife tug of an older project car. My first car was a Camaro and I'd like to ahave another one to wrench on. I'm a very capable and knowledgeable shadetree mechanic. I had a '66 Mustang for a daily driver for about 2 years. I carried a toolbox and spare parts in the trunk and worked on it weekends to keep it going on weekdays. My coworker called me McGuyver.

What do you have? What advice would you give?

I bought a car two years almost exactly like the one I had in high school. 76 Cobra II Mustang. I am in the early stages of restoring, mainly on the interior right now. Despite many having 302 V8s they were weak on power so I had to pull the motor and do a lot work on the heads and block to be able to run with the late 60 model camaro's back in the day. The one I have now I just plan on putting in a crate engine. Eyeing the 415 hp 340 cubic inch stroker. That may change as I get a lot of "advice" on this project. A work in progress. I attached a link of what the Cobra II looks like, They only made them three years. (76-78)

https://www.google.com/search?q=197...nUQ9QEwBnoECAkQLQ#imgrc=BZD9tXPqWrHQfM:&vet=1

that's awesome. My dad wasn't much of a mechanic, but his buddies were. They would let me clean parts at that age. Let's just say it was a lesson in how to do a better job with more elbow grease. Lol
Got into because of my older brother. My son has the hands of surgeon (got those from his mother). I amazed with the precision he has in putting the springs and tiny screws back in. My younger one is the washer, tool fetcher right now. Doesn't have the attention span of his brother.

I bought a car two years almost exactly like the one I had in high school. 76 Cobra II Mustang. I am in the early stages of restoring, mainly on the interior right now. Despite many having 302 V8s they were weak on power so I had to pull the motor and do a lot work on the heads and block to be able to run with the late 60 model camaro's back in the day. The one I have now I just plan on putting in a crate engine. Eyeing the 415 hp 340 cubic inch stroker. That may change as I get a lot of "advice" on this project. A work in progress. I attached a link of what the Cobra II looks like, They only made them three years. (76-78)

https://www.google.com/search?q=1976+cobra+mustang&safe=active&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS748US748&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ZxwFWSv_I_trQM%3A%2Ci9IKLk7EXMaS_M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRmPlEG1YfC987LuTLab6W2viT7Cg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibrs_MtczmAhVNZMAKHVHlDnUQ9QEwBnoECAkQLQ#imgrc=BZD9tXPqWrHQfM:&vet=1
My cousin had the white one with orange graphics. They're a light body for a good motor and already set up for V8.

Reactions: SCcocks4ever
Got into because of my older brother. My son has the hands of surgeon (got those from his mother). I amazed with the precision he has in putting the springs and tiny screws back in. My younger one is the washer, tool fetcher right now. Doesn't have the attention span of his brother.

I was the youngest. Always helped my dad fix stuff as a kid. Was a moron pretty much. Now I can fix damn near everything.

I have a 62 c10 stepside that was my grandfather's. My mother and my two uncles all learned how to drive in it, just like I did! Years ago I when going through a restoration, put a chevy 350 in it to replace the inline 6 and it sounds great. Sadly, been having issues with it so am looking at putting the setup I have in my daily driver, head/cam/intake custom 370 in ls motor, and 4l80e transmission with 4.56 gears, into the old red truck to really give it some power! Should be around 450 to the wheels then.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to find a 67 SS Camaro, or even a Nova SS. Happy hunting!

I don't know if they're considered hot rods but in my 20s when I was single I used to splurge on sports cars as second vehicles for fun. I had a black '03 Cobra. Spent more time washing it than driving. Also had a black Ram SRT10. I was dating my wife at the time and took her out in it. She wasn't impressed at all-said it wasn't practical. So one of the first things I did after getting married was sell my toy.

I'm not too handy when it comes to reconditioning automobiles, nor do I have the time to put into it. I bought a modern version of a muscle car that requires nothing but an occasional wash. I do love the 67 - 68 Chevy SS cars. Would love to have a gold with black stripes.

Guy at my last job found the unicorn that u hear about in urban legends..
Found a 68 GTO in a barn that belonged to a cousin or something.. bought it for like 2 grand,, 389, powerglide, ugly aqua blue/green but the car was in great shape.. even the interior was great but an ugly white..
Has like 30k miles...
The luck of some people

shouldnt be that hard.. the LS swaps are immensely popular these days
Yea the swap will be easy. I got a friend who just bought software for cutting down wiring harness. The work is gonna be on the body. I plan on replacing all the body mounts, all the suspension parts and install 4 wheel disc break kit. Also plan on rewiring all the electrical. I want a truck I can climb in and drive cross country with no worry but not a show truck that I cant drive on a regular basis.

Yea the swap will be easy. I got a friend who just bought software for cutting down wiring harness. The work is gonna be on the body. I plan on replacing all the body mounts, all the suspension parts and install 4 wheel disc break kit. Also plan on rewiring all the electrical. I want a truck I can climb in and drive cross country with no worry but not a show truck that I cant drive on a regular basis.

the swap stuff market has helped a ton.. I put a 350 chevy in my 1990 Jeep wrangler and it was a nightmare...

I decided to go with modern muscle. 2016 Challenger 392 ScatPack Shaker with 6spd manual. I truly love that car and been waiting 40 years to own something like that. Much cheaper than a nice 69 Goat and much nicer. Too old to worry about rebuilding and repairing.
But an old muscle car is a beautiful thing...

I decided to go with modern muscle. 2016 Challenger 392 ScatPack Shaker with 6spd manual. I truly love that car and been waiting 40 years to own something like that. Much cheaper than a nice 69 Goat and much nicer. Too old to worry about rebuilding and repairing.
But an old muscle car is a beautiful thing...

Same basic idea here. The wife wanted a convertible and I wanted a relatively fast V8 powered car. Bought a Camaro 2SS, RS convertible (6.2l, automatic). Stick preferred but had to compromise. It's plenty freaking fast.

Same basic idea here. The wife wanted a convertible and I wanted a relatively fast V8 powered car. Bought a Camaro 2SS, RS convertible (6.2l, automatic). Stick preferred but had to compromise. It's plenty freaking fast.
In recent years, automatics have become faster than manuals, at least in a straight line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT