ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: 2018 commit Destanni Henderson

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
The Fort Myers girls basketball team had been doubted all season about their ability to repeat as state champs. Once and for all, the Green Wave quieted the critics with a dominant 69-49 win over Fort Walton Beach in the Class 7A girls basketball state championship.

Led by junior guard and South Carolina verbal commit Destanni Henderson, Fort Myers raced out to a 12-0 lead in the opening minutes of the game. The Green Wave never trailed and shot over 70 percent from the field in the second half to keep the Vikings at bay.

Fort Myers had their starting lineup log the majority of the minutes, but the Green Wave depth never became an issue. Four players ended with double digits in scoring, led by Henderson's 18. She also added five rebounds, five assists, six steals, and three blocks. Senior guards Jarya Outten and Autumn Giles chipped in 14 and eight points, respectively. Junior Bethany Brunson had 16 and was one rebound shy of a double-double. Sophomore Tatum Hayes finished with 13 points.

The state championship is Fort Myers' second in as many years. The Green Wave have made it to the Final Four in Lakeland for three straight seasons.

Dawn has landed a bigtime baller in Ms Henderson

She better be signing some good bigs. Coates is gone this year and Wilson gone after next year. That will leave us with none unless she can sign some this year.

Reactions: GamecockJL
She better be signing some good bigs. Coates is gone this year and Wilson gone after next year. That will leave us with none unless she can sign some this year.
Just went and took a quick peek at the roster - We will lose a LOT at the end of next season! :eek:

Harrigan is a freshman...Alexis Jennings will be eligible nest season..LaDazia Williams(6'5") a very athletic post will be a freshman next season...Coach Staley is recruiting some very talented highly rated bigs for the 2018 class..Obviously she has to seal the deal...Dawn is a very good recruiter..Our cupboard will not run bare...

Just went and took a quick peek at the roster - We will lose a LOT at the end of next season! :eek:

Elissia Grisset (6'2") a very talented wing, LaDazia Williams(6'5") post player, Bianca Jackson(6'0") guard and Haley Troup (5'10") guard will be here next fall...We add a lot next fall as well..This is the way it works when you win and recruit great players

Can you reference a source that lists LaDazia Williams as 6'5"? I've looked all over and can't find one.

Can you reference a source that lists LaDazia Williams as 6'5"? I've looked all over and can't find one.

I saw her standing next to Alaina Coates.. But i doubt that means anything to you...I also read it in article by her coach...I will not waste my time looking it up to debate whether she is 6'4" or 6'5"...She is a terrific post player with great size...She plays more like A'ja than Coates...But she is at least as tall as Alaina...For the record i am not inferring she is as good as A'ja...No one is..But Daz is a great great player, especially on the offensive end

Harrigan is a freshman...Alexis Jennings will be eligible nest season..LaDazia Williams(6'5") a very athletic post will be a freshman next season...Coach Staley is recruiting some very talented highly rated bigs for the 2018 class..Obviously she has to seal the deal...Dawn is a very good recruiter..Our cupboard will not run bare...
Harrigan??? You must be joking. She is 6'2" and doesn't even play that tall. Not only that but she gives no effort and doesn't move her feet. I can't figure out why Dawn signed her and certainly don't know why she even plays her. We'd be better to play 4 guards on the court. Hopefully, you are right about the recruiting, but it sure would have been nice if she had brought in one of those this year to get some experience so there isn't such a drop off next year.

Harrigan??? You must be joking. She is 6'2" and doesn't even play that tall. Not only that but she gives no effort and doesn't move her feet. I can't figure out why Dawn signed her and certainly don't know why she even plays her. We'd be better to play 4 guards on the court. Hopefully, you are right about the recruiting, but it sure would have been nice if she had brought in one of those this year to get some experience so there isn't such a drop off next year.

You know it is possible for players to improve after their freshman year. Nice job of giving up on the girl.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
You definitely didn't watch Alaina Coates as a freshmen.

Reactions: lawcalcock

Could your tone be any more condescending and ignorant?

First you tell Dawn, she "better be recruiting bigs" when you don't even know who she has red shirting, has signed for 17, or who is in the pipeline for 18 or 19. Yeah we are already in the final five for the #1 big in 18 and 19.

Then you needlessly trash Kiki Harrigan. Kiki has been at times lost this year. But you got glimpse at TAMU of what her potential is. She is one of the two best pure athletes on the team. She is a great leaper , quick enough to guard the 2,3, and 4 and can run the floor. She needs time in the weight room to effectively play D against top notch competition. I expect very good things in her future here.

Dude please...Do you even watch the games...Kiki played very well early..She hit a poor stretch where she was awful for a month...But the last 4 games she has played very well for us..To watch her rebound, block shots and score then suggest she is not an excellent freshman is just ridiculous...She is not Wilson or Coates, but then who is, but she is a very good freshman with a huge upside

First you tell Dawn, she "better be recruiting bigs" when you don't even know who she has red shirting, has signed for 17, or who is in the pipeline for 18 or 19. Yeah we are already in the final five for the #1 big in 18 and 19.

Then you needlessly trash Kiki Harrigan. Kiki has been at times lost this year. But you got glimpse at TAMU of what her potential is. She is one of the two best pure athletes on the team. She is a great leaper , quick enough to guard the 2,3, and 4 and can run the floor. She needs time in the weight room to effectively play D against top notch competition. I expect very good things in her future here.

well said 'winloseortie'...this urge some of our fans have to incompetently trash our young players is just absurd...Kiki has played very well the last four games...Dawn re-upped her playing time because she has been doing so well in practice...She had a tough month..But lately she has it back in gear and is really contributing on both ends

You definitely didn't watch Alaina Coates as a freshmen.

Great point...Coates was as up or down as a freshman could get...One night she would flash that awesome potential...The next night Dawn would have difficulty getting her interested...Even her sophomore year had some ups and downs...Alaina didn't become consistent until her junior season...

A'ja is a different story...She is a phenom...Wilson could have been a dominant college player as a senior in HS...But she is that rare once in every 10 years type of talent..

That poster was a over the top. I don't see the point in trashing a true freshman. Nevertheless, I have to say that Herbert-Harrigan is strangely out of shape. Or slow. Or something. She struggles to get back on defense. She needs to work on that part of her game. I have seen flashes lately of some other aspects of her game that give me hope.

That poster was a over the top. I don't see the point in trashing a true freshman. Nevertheless, I have to say that Herbert-Harrigan is strangely out of shape. Or slow. Or something. She struggles to get back on defense. She needs to work on that part of her game. I have seen flashes lately of some other aspects of her game that give me hope.

very few HS kids understand how hard you have to work on conditioning at this level...most freshman like kiki learn the hardway...But there is no doubt the talent and desire is there...We're so fortunate to have many great players come thru our program...Our true freshmen get compared to some awesome players

I totally agree with your assessment of Harrington!

Reactions: hplatts
I think it is more adjusting to the speed of the SEC. She played C in HS and I guarantee you no opposition C beat her down the floor. Dawn is asking to face up to the basket on offense as her future is at the 4 or 3 and she played predominantly with her back to the basket in HS. She is a great athlete but I don't think she is a "natural" in bball. I think her development will mirror C. Silva excellent athlete trying to become an excellent ball player

Reactions: lawcalcock
I think it is more adjusting to the speed of the SEC. She played C in HS and I guarantee you no opposition C beat her down the floor. Dawn is asking to face up to the basket on offense as her future is at the 4 or 3 and she played predominantly with her back to the basket in HS. She is a great athlete but I don't think she is a "natural" in bball. I think her development will mirror C. Silva excellent athlete trying to become an excellent ball player

Good points..But i am sure you will acknowledge her ball skills are ahead of Silva as a freshman...As gifted as Silva is he could not make a layup or a free throw as a freshman...He was a dunker. a rebounder and a shot blocker...This season he is a real bigtime player...Kiki can handle and score, she is a very good rebounder and shot blocker...Her feet get stuck on defense at times...But she'll get there by next season

Reactions: hplatts
damn dude, give her some slack...we've just WON the SEC and are on our way to winning the SECT

If Dawn hangs around and keeps recruiting like she has, we'll win one. Gino may have to retire first but it will happen.

I doubt Geno is going anywhere...Coach Staley needs to get over the hump and kick dat ass...If you wanna be the best you have to beat the best..We are good enough to beat them this year...We just need our wings to help A'ja and Alaina out by making 40-50% of their shots..

The teams that get it done.

Okay, you think we will be a knotch below UCONN...Only one team gets it done bub...You might be right...But no way you can possibly know that before the team gets on campus and plays a few games...Coates will be impossible to replace...But the team could actually be better next season...Alexis Jennings is a baller...Kiki Harrigan will mature and get better...Hopefully our freshmen are as good as advertised...I have no doubt Lili Grissett and LaDazia will help...But i am eager to see how ready Bianca Jackson and Haley Troup are for major college ball...Those 2 can shoot the lights out...If they transition quickly, i suspect we'll be significantly better next season...We'll certainly be deeper...I also expect Harris and Kaela Davis to be more consistent next season...

Okay, you think we will be a knotch below UCONN...Only one team gets it done bub...You might be right...But no way you can possibly know that before the team gets on campus and plays a few games...Coates will be impossible to replace...But the team could actually be better next season...Alexis Jennings is a baller...Kiki Harrigan will mature and get better...Hopefully our freshmen are as good as advertised...I have no doubt Lili Grissett and LaDazia will help...But i am eager to see how ready Bianca Jackson and Haley Troup are for major college ball...Those 2 can shoot the lights out...If they transition quickly, i suspect we'll be significantly better next season...We'll certainly be deeper...I also expect Harris and Kaela Davis to be more consistent next season...
Our problems in getting it done don't relate to the tangibles. We're good enough in terms of talent. We are wanting in terms of the intangibles. And I'll say to you what I said to the other gentleman: if I'm mistaken, you won't have to locate me in order to chasten me. I don't hide.

We will be loaded again next year. It looks like we'll go to a more uptempo offense because our strength should be guard play. Cuevas-Moore, Gray, and Davis along with some of the incoming players I think will thrive with a faster pace.

I really enjoyed the way we played against Texas A&M. It seemed to catch them off guard and the guards played a solid game that day. Looking forward to next season and seeing Coach Staley and this team evolve.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I really enjoyed the way we played against Texas A&M. It seemed to catch them off guard and the guards played a solid game that day. Looking forward to next season and seeing Coach Staley and this team evolve.

A&M wasn't caught off guard, they are just dead tired. The Ags get ZERO production from the bench. I read they have one girl who played in 5 straight games without coming off the court. They are reeling right now...4 straight losses heading into today. At one point they were predicted to host in the 1st round.

But I agree with your overall point we'll play faster next year. It will be interesting.

Did you watch the first half with UGA? That horrible Harrigan girl had 5 points 6 rebounds 1 steal and 1 block 0 turnovers in 12 minutes filling in for Coates. How could Dawn EVER give her a scholarship?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT