ADVERTISEMENT

WBB awarded AP National Championship!!

Is that true? They should be since we finished #1 - no-brainer. NCAA never known for it`s brains, however.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I saw nothing of the sort on the NCAA site, perhaps and hour ago. Do you have a source?

This is like when UCF declared themselves Nc in FB... I won’t finish the thought as people always get mad- but suffice it to say it is actually much more embarrassing than that.

This is like when UCF declared themselves Nc in FB... I won’t finish the thought as people always get mad- but suffice it to say it is actually much more embarrassing than that.
I see no evidence that the AP declared us National Champs. Maybe somebody will offer up something supporting this claim. But if the AP did declare this, that would be totally different than the UCF fiasco. Many, many teams throughout history have declared themselves NC by way of the AP. Very few people question Alabama's football NC's but they have been extremely "creative" when it comes to the number they claim. Laughable would probably be a more accurate word than creative

Last edited:
Reactions: danh011
I see no evidence that the AP declared us National Champs. Maybe somebody will offer up something supporting this claim. But if the AP did declare this, that would be totally different than the UCF fiasco. Many, many teams throughout history have declared themselves NC by way of the AP. Very few people question Alabama's football NC's but they have been extremely "creative" when it comes to the number they claim. Laughable would probably be a more accurate word than creative

I think the main purpose for this thread was so the OP could provide a vehicle for Gamecock Lifer to use to criticize Gamecock athletics with. Hey, all threads should have a purpose, am I right?

Nobody had a resume like USC. If any recognized legitimate organization chooses to recognize them as National Champs then you damn sure run with it. Especially when you're the #1 team in the nation when play is suspended. If not us, then who?

...Very few people question Alabama's football NC's but they have been extremely "creative" when it comes to the number they claim...
Many of those were wire service national championships, but not only were they generally recognized as legitimate, they were the only vehicle for national championships at the time. Those that were split between the AP and the UPI, such as the most recent one that Georgia Tech won a part of, are the only ones that have ever been questioned. The championships awarded by consensus have not been questioned.

Many of those were wire service national championships, but not only were they generally recognized as legitimate, they were the only vehicle for national championships at the time. Those that were split between the AP and the UPI, such as the most recent one that Georgia Tech won a part of, are the only ones that have ever been questioned. The championships awarded by consensus have not been questioned.
Wrong, 3 of the Championships they claim aren't even listed by the NCAA as its recognized poll champions.

Here is an example
1941: This is by far the silliest title claimed by Alabama, which went 9-2, finished third in the SEC and was ranked 20th in the final AP Top 25. Minnesota (8-0) is widely recognized as the undisputed national champion by being ranked No. 1 in 12 polls. Atcheson counted a title for Alabama because it finished No. 1 in the Houlgate System, a mathematical rating from 1927-58 developed by Deke Houlgate of Los Angeles.

LSU won the BCS championship is 2003. The AP awarded the Championship to USC.

Last edited:
Wrong, 3 of the Championships they claim aren't even listed by the NCAA as its recognized poll champions.

Here is an example
1941: This is by far the silliest title claimed by Alabama, which went 9-2, finished third in the SEC and was ranked 20th in the final AP Top 25. Minnesota (8-0) is widely recognized as the undisputed national champion by being ranked No. 1 in 12 polls. Atcheson counted a title for Alabama because it finished No. 1 in the Houlgate System, a mathematical rating from 1927-58 developed by Deke Houlgate of Los Angeles.
Did I say ALL of their championships were legitimate? I said that those which were awarded by wire services, of which everyone had heard and recognized, were accepted as legitimate. I'm not here to defend anything beyond that and didn't even mention anything beyond that. I said "many of those" championships were wire service championships. Now, exactly how am I wrong?

Before playoffs NCAA never recognized a football champion it was claimed by the school based on final AP and or defunct UPI final poll. Case in point, Clemson`s 1980 championship is not recognized by NCAA but is claimed based on consensus of polls - exactly same as our WBB this year. Therefore, based previous accepted and consensus vote: we may not be NCAA champs but we are NATIONAL CHAMPS! Hang the banner.

Did I say ALL of their championships were legitimate? I said that those which were awarded by wire services, of which everyone had heard and recognized, were accepted as legitimate. I'm not here to defend anything beyond that and didn't even mention anything beyond that. I said "many of those" championships were wire service championships. Now, exactly how am I wrong?

Those that were split between the AP and the UPI, such as the most recent one that Georgia Tech won a part of, are the only ones that have ever been questioned.

1973 Alabama is crowned NC in the UPI poll & as was the custom they were crowned before the bowl game. They went on to lose that bowl game to Notre Dame, it created so much controversy that the UPI changed its policy the following year to wait until after the bowl games. Notre Dame was awarded AP NC. Split poll as you mentioned.

But fair enough, your context & how I read it might be entirely different. I read that as you saying the only time there has been controversy was when there was a split poll. Thus the Alabama 1941 NC reference which was not a split poll.. In any event one major flaw & a source of controversy with the wire service championships was they awarded before the bowl games. Seems crazy in retrospect, lose your last game but still win NC.

But to the point of this thread, if the AP decided to award USC its NC I have zero problem accepting that. When the pinnacle of college football can claim a NC based on some obscure mathematical formula & Clemson gets to keep its NC in 1981 despite widespread documented cheating resulting in probation, I have no issue at all with an AP NC. Likely a moot point, highly doubt it happens.

Last edited:
What i'd like to know...maybe a psychology major can explain how so many people thought this might be legit, wanted evidence, etc.

What i'd like to know...maybe a psychology major can explain how so many people thought this might be legit, wanted evidence, etc.
Very simple, you hate to immediately call someone a liar. It's also a really oddball thing to just make up BS. Normal people don't do that or expect others to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT