ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Big Monday

0-7 I thought with several loses by 11 or 12.

0-8 (0-7 in the CDS Era). Here are all of the previous games:

2/11/2019 Hartford, CT L 97 - 79
3/26/2018 Albany, NY L 94 - 65
2/1/2018 Columbia, SC L 83 - 58
2/13/2017 Storrs, CT L 66 - 55
2/8/2016 Columbia, SC L 66 - 54
2/9/2015 Storrs, CT L 87 - 62
12/28/2008 Columbia, SC L 77 - 48
12/17/2007 Storrs, CT L 97 - 39

I think the Lady Gs has the better team but UConn always has our number. The WBB team is 0-8 vs UConn and the average margin of victory is 25 points.
IMO, this is the first time we have as much or more talent than the Huskies. Even when we had A'ja, UCONN had players who were number 1 out of high school. They still have a lot of talent, but not as much.

I'm looking at this game with guarded optimism as I've watched all those past losses. When's the last time UConn lost three games in less than a season?

I'm looking at this game with guarded optimism as I've watched all those past losses. When's the last time UConn lost three games in less than a season?
Lawd hayah muhcy! Those past games have nothing to do with this one. Until this past Monday Oregon had never beaten UCONN. We're better than they are this year!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
2/13/2017 Storrs, CT L 66 - 55
2/8/2016 Columbia, SC L 66 - 54

Those are the closest the game has been between the 2 teams.

I feel good about this year and this dub. However, I could care less if they blow them out - I just want the win

I sold my tickets. But, if CLA is not sold out I hope the arena at least pulls a larger crowd than Miss St or Tenn

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
You can't really blame anyone for being worried, as Gamecocks fans, we're used to having our hopes up and then having the rug pulled from under us in the most unlikely ways. Having said that I think we have a pretty good shot getting over this hurdle. One big reason is the freshmen, especially Boston. UConn doesn't have the post presence to match her, they have Nelson-Ododa but I don't think she's physical enough to handle her. So to combat that UConn will likely have to try to get extra bodies on Boston giving some of our other players more open looks. Also Zia Cooke plays great during the big games, I expect much of the same on Monday. As long as we're disciplined I think we're just too talented to not lose this game against this Uconn team.

Last edited:
Aliyah Boston, the likely National Freshman of the Year, who plays like a junior.
She should also be a First Team All American center...Imagine what our win total would be without her....Dawn needs to try to recruit the best Center in High School every years...Also, get Power Forwards who are atleast 6'3"-6-5"....Height in the middle is KEY....

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
She should also be a First Team All American center...Imagine what our win total would be without her....Dawn needs to try to recruit the best Center in High School every years...Also, get Power Forwards who are atleast 6'3"-6-5"....Height in the middle is KEY....

I mean, isn’t that obvious? Does she not try?

This may be the first year that USC is the better team. Some years, the talent level was close, some years UCONN was clearly better. UCONN is still very good, just not unbeatable like they were a few years back.

In all honesty, other than hoping to beat UCONN for the first time, there is more at stake in this moment for UCONN than USC. That makes them dangerous. Should be fun!

who knew?

thanks !!!

Reactions: yankacock
UCONN hasn't played in a big time road environment yet this season. The best team they've played on the road is Depaul and it only drew 2621 fans. We need to sell the remaining 1600 tickets and have the CLAW filled to the rafters and be loud.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Lauren Cox, who was national player of the year last year will be 1st team AA. Cox has been out with injuries for a significant amount of time and missed playing against us. Boston and Ruthy Hebard of Oregon will vie for second team

Lauren Cox, who was national player of the year last year will be 1st team AA. Cox has been out with injuries for a significant amount of time and missed playing against us. Boston and Ruthy Hebard of Oregon will vie for second team
Cox is a 4, Boston is a 5.

Oregon beat them by 18 at their place, we are better than Oregon and it's at home. #1 SC by 20+
transitive properties work well in math not as well in athletic events, please don’t offer anyone UCONN +20. Would not want you losing money even though we celebrate a great victory

Last edited:
I still think Boston is a better player, but they often make subtle changes on AA team positions to get the 5 best on there.
Trust me I believe Boston is one of the 2 or three best post players in the country and has a higher ceiling than either Cox or Hebard. Just not going to be named 1st team AA.

Overall Connecticut has been to the Final Four each year for 12 years, But South Carolina has played for and won a national championship since the Huskies last did, and we have players in Harris and Herbert-Harrigan who know what that's like, while strangely Connecticut does not have any on their roster who can say the same.

CT has played against 4 top 25 opponents thus far this season, and they are 2-2. We have played 9 such opponents, and we are 8-1 against them.

CT has played against 3 of the top 10 Scoring Offenses in WCBB thus far this season - they in fact happen to be the top 3 (#1 Oregon, #2 Baylor, #3 DePaul) and are 1-2. We have the #4-ranked scoring offense. Coincidentally, all 3 of those teams scored 74 points each in their games - Oregon and Baylor won, DePaul lost in a tight game by just 10 pts.

South Carolina has played 6 games against 5 of the top 10 Scoring Offenses - #2 Baylor, #5 Arkansas (twice), #7 Maryland, #8 South Dakota, and #10 Mississippi State - and are 6-0 in them.

Against top 25 opponents, we averaged 77.0 ppg allowing 65.6 ppg for the opponents. CT averaged 64.5 ppg, allowing 66.8 ppg for the opponents.

Against top 10 Scoring Offenses, we allowed 66.5 ppg and 161-420 (38.3%) shooting from the field. CT allowed 74.0 ppg and 86-198 (43.4%) shooting.

On paper, it seems like we have the better performing team. It also seems our team is the more talented, and the deeper team between the two. I still feel that Auriemma is the better coach and has the better staff between the two at preparing their team to execute the gameplan, and in making adjustments for 2nd-halves of tightly contested games, but again this is why we play the games.

I still feel this is our best chance yet under Coach Staley - we brought another team that had the best talent of the series during the NC year with Wilson, Coates, Davis and Gray, but that CT team was a more talented and deeper - and just as importantly a more confident team - than what comes in to Colonial Life tomorrow.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT