ADVERTISEMENT

*WBB: Eva Westbrook's comment on Facebook*

gamecockblack

Jun 25, 2015
Columbia
This was posted on the lady vols forum yesterday. Apparently there was a fan named Sonya Howell who had some negative things to say about sophomore Evina Westbrook (a top 2 recruit out of HS) & her mother fired back. This is what Eva posted..

"Sonya Howell you won't have to worry about my daughters poor performance and all the negative things you have to say about a 20 year old student athlete for long. Honestly what type of person, an adult, talks about a young lady that gives 200% to her team every day? You know nothing about my daughter and you have no idea what you're talking about. Any D1 school would be happy to have her. Learn some facts before your twitter fingers get the best of you. Oh and thanks again."

When sharks smell blood they come lurking. Unfortunately this type of news will spread & coaches will take notice.

To be honest with you I have noticed Westbrook has had bad attitude sometimes especially when teams get physical with her.same with the A&M girl.(Carter) that's her name.
It's a dumpster fire in lady vol land right now. I've often wondered why Westbrook even went to UT in the 1st place. Surely she had to know she wasn't going to receive better coaching than she would have if she came to South Carolina, or another credible program for that matter. She left Oregon to come all the way East to be a part of that clown circus. Puzzling to say the least.

To be honest with you I have noticed Westbrook has had bad attitude sometimes especially when teams get physical with her.same with the A&M girl.(Carter) that's her name.
It's a dumpster fire in lady vol land right now. I've often wondered why Westbrook even went to UT in the 1st place. Surely she had to know she wasn't going to receive better coaching than she would have if she came to South Carolina, or another credible program for that matter. She left Oregon to come all the way East to be a part of that clown circus. Puzzling to say the least.

Did Dawn recruit her. Attitude seems off for our locker room. But then again she's probably used to being the best player on the floor. This ain't high school honey

Reactions: Silverspur02
How does someone give 200%?
Not sure but these parents shouldn't take these fans' comments to heart. Every fan base of every team have those who are unhappy about something & will voice their displeasure one way or another, most turning to social media. The mother should have just let it roll off her back, but some have thicker skin than others.

I'm sure the team not coming close to meeting expectations is not helping the situation. There are lot of unhappy lady vol fans out there. If the team were winning more often this would probably have been a non issue.

Did Dawn recruit her. Attitude seems off for our locker room. But then again she's probably used to being the best player on the floor. This ain't high school honey
Dawn recruited her heavily, we were in the final 2 with UT. She was scheduled to visit here, but never did because a hurricane here prevented travel. It was her last visit before she decided only 10 days later. Blame it on the rain

Dawn recruited her heavily, we were in the final 2 with UT. She was scheduled to visit here, but never did because a hurricane here prevented travel. It was her last visit before she decided only 10 days later. Blame it on the rain

Thanks

Part of UT’s problem besides HW’s poor coaching is the fact that they do not have a true point guard on the roster(sound familiar?) they dismissed A. Hayes last summer and Westbrook has been forced to play PG. They also did not sign a PG this cycle

Reactions: lawcalcock
Part of UT’s problem besides HW’s poor coaching is the fact that they do not have a true point guard on the roster(sound familiar?) they dismissed A. Hayes last summer and Westbrook has been forced to play PG. They also did not sign a PG this cycle
exactly right! Put Westbrook on a roster with Ty Harris and she is the best 2 guard in the league.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Law,I never said she wasn't a good player.i said she doesn't like it when players get physical with her. and yes I agree poor coaching probably contributed to most of this.
How would you respond as a 6'1" two guard forced to play point. Then suddenly you have to go against cat quick Bianca Cuevas? Not being harsh with you. Evina Westbrook at Tenn has bothered me since she chose them. I followed her recruitment. She is a terrific young lady from a strong family. I knew Tenn was a horrible choice for her. Choosing Holly over Dawn never ends well. Westbrook had her choice of any school in the nation. Sometimes great people make bad choices.

I wasn't mad when she chose UT, just confused a bit. I mean, if you decide to leave the west coast for 4 years to attend a school somewhere east, why choose a team with a coach that recently (last 4 years) has been known to underachieve having already had top level talent but progressively doing worse vs teams with far less talent?

The math doesn't add up. One would think she was paid to attend UT, because you sure as hell didn't go there thinking they would be better than South Carolina. Just saying

Last edited:
I wasn't mad when she chose UT, just confused a bit. I mean, if you decide to leave the west coast for 4 years to attend a school somewhere east, why choose a team with a coach that recently (last 4 years) has been known to underachieve having already had top level talent but progressively doing worse vs teams with far less talent?

The math doesn't add up. One would think she was paid to attend UT, because you sure as hell didn't go there thinking they would be better than South Carolina. Just saying
That matches up with my take on it. Something ain't right about her being up there.

the math adds up. 7 national championships, have made the NCAA tournament every year it has been held(only school to do so). They had better recruiting classes than us 3 of the last four years prior to this year. Even with our top class coming in this year they have a top 10 class coming in with the #2 player Jordan Houston in the country. HW was Pat’s #1 recruiter for 2 decades!! Diss her all you want she is a great recruiter with a great program to sell. In 11 years here DS has had 2 top 10 recruiting classes UT has had 10!!!!

the math adds up. 7 national championships, have made the NCAA tournament every year it has been held(only school to do so). They had better recruiting classes than us 3 of the last four years prior to this year. Even with our top class coming in this year they have a top 10 class coming in with the #2 player Jordan Houston in the country. HW was Pat’s #1 recruiter for 2 decades!! Diss her all you want she is a great recruiter with a great program to sell. In 11 years here DS has had 2 top 10 recruiting classes UT has had 10!!!!
All of those factors argue in favor of better recent results, much better. Something's wrong.

today's recruits were 6 years old last time Tenn won a natty! Pat Summit is not walking thru that door. Selling her legacy is getting more difficult each year.

I made several comments about that fact and a couple of other players the Lady Vols have signed in the last couple of years. Well heck, let me include the Vols football program as well. A 5-Star football player from California signed with the Vols on the last day of the signing period. It just seems strange to me.

All of those factors argue in favor of better recent results, much better. Something's wrong.
HW should have a better record!! The fault lies in her bench coaching and inability to foster team chemistry and cohesion.
Over the last 6 years we are 96-12 in SEC play, this includes SEC Tourney. Care to guess our record vs HW during this time? 8 games.....

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward

That math still ain't adding up. They won 8 national championships.... :D

Warlick has not shown herself to be a very good development coach...an X's and O's type of coach. She essentially preached giving good effort, and if that doesn't work, then she preaches giving even more good effort. She believes that physical effort, defense, and rebounding will solve all ills for a basketball team. She rarely seems capable of drawing up recognizable offensive sets, even in tight games at the close of the game: usually it's just getting her best offensive player the ball, making everyone clear out, and hoping that offensive player can hero ball well enough to win the day.

But Warlick's early teams reached the Elite Eight 3 of her first 4 years as head coach. Then they had the Diamond DeShields years that some could argue were teams that were top heavy but not very talented from top to bottom. They could also argue that all they needed was one good, solid class again, and they would get things back in order. They answered with the #1 class in 2017, and kinda had a little bump going 25-8 which was their best season since 2014-15 when they were last a NCAAT #1 Seed. But this season looks just like the same crap that they slogged through during the DeShields years: lots of disinterested play and a lot of moping and pouting.

The last 3 classes including the 2019 one, UTjr. have brought in a ton of talent, but IMO the common flaw is the staff. It won't matter if they have 15 5-star McD AA's all on the same roster - it will take the kids rising up despite their coaches ineptitude and carrying the team to great success. Otherwise, they will not get coached up to do it.....

Last edited:
Reactions: winloseortie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT