ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Final Scrimmage vs JPN

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/070417aaa.html

Gamecocks Wrap Up Competition in Japan
Staley pleased with effort against veteran national team.

• EMAIL
  • A’ja Wilson again was the most aggressive offensive player, notching a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Fellow forwards sophomore Mikiah Herbert Harrigan and freshman Lele Grissett each added eight points to the effort. Overall, the Gamecocks shot the ball better and were solid defensively in the first half, slowing down the high-paced Japan offense.

Japan took an early 6-1 lead, but South Carolina got back on track for their first lead when Grissett put back her own miss and Wilson delivered on the left block for a 7-6 advantage. The first quarter continued to go the Gamecocks’ way with Doniyah Clineyconverting a traditional three-point play and Wilson pouring in the final four points on a steal and layup and another drive.

With a 15-10 lead after the opening quarter, the Gamecock offense continued to roll with a Wilson jumper from the elbow. A series of empty possessions let Japan get back into the game, however, with a 12-0 run that gave the home team a 25-17 advantage. South Carolina closed the half well, though, going inside where Grissett, Wilson and Herbert Harrigan accounted for the final 11 points of the period.

Japan stretched its 32-28 halftime lead early in the third period, but once again South Carolina answered, putting together a 9-0 run, this time, mostly via its guards. Herbert Harrigan and Wilson started the surge, which sparked a 3 from freshman Haley Troupand a transition layup from Araion Bradshaw that made it a 37-35 Gamecock lead.

spacer.gif

The veteran Japan squad responded with its own 9-0 run to re-establish its command of the contest, taking a 50-42 lead into the final period, during which it continued to inch away from the Gamecocks.

Reactions: roosterbell
We got smoked in the 4th. There's no box score, but I'll bet A'ja didn't play in that quarter.

We got smoked in the 4th. There's no box score, but I'll bet A'ja didn't play in that quarter.
I believe they pulled away from us in the 4th period but at least we won 1 out of the 3 scrimmages. The Japanese national team is legit so it was good competition for Dawn's young team.

Having watched Japan compete in last yrs Olympics, i am shocked at how well our young ladies competed..Our frontcourt was tremendous..But their seasoned mature guards got the better of our backcourt as expected...But A'ja Wilson is just the real deal...She doesn't care who or where..She just kicks ass

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT