ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Gamecocks 1rst scrimmage vs JPN

Gamecocks Faced Japan National Team Friday
Women's basketball takes on outside competition for first time with 2017-18 roster.

• EMAIL
  • Tyasha Harris led the offense with 14 points, including four 3-pointers, while junior forward Alexis Jennings went for a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Japan took an early lead before the Gamecocks began driving to the basket and converting free throws to pull even at 15-15. The home team capitalized on a pair of Gamecock missed free throws on what could have the final possession of the opening period. Hitting both their resulting free throws, Japan took a 23-21 lead into the first break.

Miscues cost the Gamecocks early in the second period, but free throws kept the game tight. South Carolina’s rebounding improved in the stretch, and Jennings’ free throws helped pull the Gamecocks within one a 32-31 with 38.2 seconds until the next break. After a timeout, Harris hit her second 3 of the game to give her team a 34-32 advantage at the end of two periods.

Japan again opened the period well and took the lead, but Harris’ hot shooting kept the game close. A rough offensive stretch saw South Carolina trail by six, 47-41, with 2:03 to play. Again, it was Harris that stepped up, taking a kickout from A’ja Wilson for her fourth 3 of the night. Wilson’s free throw with 1:18 to play made it a two-point game at 45-47, but Japan answered quickly to stretch the lead to four seconds later. Jennings got a putback on the next possession, but again Japan had the answer – this time with a 3-pointer with 31.2 seconds left that ended up being the game’s final points.

spacer.gif

In the final part of the competition, Wilson found her stride from the field, hitting 4-of-4 for eight points, while freshman Lele Grissett pulled down a team-high four rebounds.

The Gamecocks will practice on Saturday and Monday to face Japan in similar competitions on Sunday and Tuesday before heading back to Columbia on Wednesday.

Gamecocks Faced Japan National Team Friday
Women's basketball takes on outside competition for first time with 2017-18 roster.

• EMAIL
  • Tyasha Harris led the offense with 14 points, including four 3-pointers, while junior forward Alexis Jennings went for a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Japan took an early lead before the Gamecocks began driving to the basket and converting free throws to pull even at 15-15. The home team capitalized on a pair of Gamecock missed free throws on what could have the final possession of the opening period. Hitting both their resulting free throws, Japan took a 23-21 lead into the first break.

Miscues cost the Gamecocks early in the second period, but free throws kept the game tight. South Carolina’s rebounding improved in the stretch, and Jennings’ free throws helped pull the Gamecocks within one a 32-31 with 38.2 seconds until the next break. After a timeout, Harris hit her second 3 of the game to give her team a 34-32 advantage at the end of two periods.

Japan again opened the period well and took the lead, but Harris’ hot shooting kept the game close. A rough offensive stretch saw South Carolina trail by six, 47-41, with 2:03 to play. Again, it was Harris that stepped up, taking a kickout from A’ja Wilson for her fourth 3 of the night. Wilson’s free throw with 1:18 to play made it a two-point game at 45-47, but Japan answered quickly to stretch the lead to four seconds later. Jennings got a putback on the next possession, but again Japan had the answer – this time with a 3-pointer with 31.2 seconds left that ended up being the game’s final points.

spacer.gif

In the final part of the competition, Wilson found her stride from the field, hitting 4-of-4 for eight points, while freshman Lele Grissett pulled down a team-high four rebounds.

The Gamecocks will practice on Saturday and Monday to face Japan in similar competitions on Sunday and Tuesday before heading back to Columbia on Wednesday.
I am waiting to see who the first person is that makes the comment "UNACCEPTABLE! Losing to the Japanese national team; I thought we were supposed to be good!"

I am waiting to see who the first person is that makes the comment "UNACCEPTABLE! Losing to the Japanese national team; I thought we were supposed to be good!"

:)i am surprised it was so close...The JPN reached the semi's of the Olympics and gave our Gold medal squad a run for 3 qtrs..Dawn wanted a stern challenge and this is certainly that

Great to read that Harris hit 4 three pointers. She has a chance to be a special player.

Great to read that Harris hit 4 three pointers. She has a chance to be a special player.

I concur. She had the look last season of a player ready to have a big sophomore campaign. She looked really poised and comfortable (as a true freshman) out there last season. It can't be overstated how important that is at her position.

I concur. She had the look last season of a player ready to have a big sophomore campaign. She looked really poised and comfortable (as a true freshman) out there last season. It can't be overstated how important that is at her position.
It looked like she really gained a lot of confidence in her shot in the postseason. In the NCAA's she hit quite a few key jump shots down the stretch.
I think our outside shooting will be significantly improved this season. Davis ran so hot and cold with her jump shot, and Gray was more of a threat driving to the basket. I think we will be more consistent from the outside this year.

Reactions: lawcalcock

Speaking of her poise...during the post-season coach Staley had Harris take free throws in the last minute. However, going by percentage she was a worse free throw shooter than Davis, Gray and BCM on the season. That shows how much confidence coach has in Harris.

Reactions: gamecockblack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT