ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Gamecocks vs JPN scrimmage 2

Wilson Has Strong Showing Against Japan
Younger players find time to shine in second session against Japan National Team as well.

• EMAIL
  • A'ja Wilson asserted herself early and throughout her minutes against the Japan National Team Sunday afternoon at the Ajinomoto National Training Center. The two-time reigning SEC Player of the Year posted 11 points and 11 rebounds in the 30-minute scrimmage, adding a field goal and a rebound in limited action during a separate score-stop-score drill.

Wilson used her physical presence and strength to power her way to the basket, where she was routinely fouled, especially early in the competition as she took 10 free throws in the opening 10-minute period alone. On the other end of the floor, the 6-foot-5 Hopkins, S.C., native controlled the glass, grabbing 10 of her 11 boards on the defensive end, often after altering shots.

Late in the scrimmage, South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley went to her more inexperienced players, giving the Gamecocks' freshmen and sophomores extended time to feel the game. Freshman guard Haley Troup found her assertive side in the third of the three 10-minute periods, with four of her eight points coming in the final segment of the game. Freshman forward Lele Grissettadded six points and five rebounds, including four offensive in the final period, to the Gamecock effort.

In the score-stop-score drill, sophomore Mikiah Herbert Harrigan and freshman forward LaDazhia Williams shined brightest. Herbert Harrigan used her mobility as much as her size to net six points on 3-of-5 shooting in the drill. Williams dominated on the glass with six rebounds to go with four points on just two shot attempts.

spacer.gif

The Gamecocks have one more practice on Monday before closing their trip with a similar scrimmage/drill contest against Japan on Tuesday morning.

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
Good to read the freshmen played well, even Troup. Makes me wonder if Patrick and Bradshaw will contribute this year.

Good to read the freshmen played well, even Troup. Makes me wonder if Patrick and Bradshaw will contribute this year.
I know it early but wouldn't be surprised to see them transfer, can win shipbut will need atleast 50 points n paint and mississippi state like defense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT