ADVERTISEMENT

WBB tonight vs Ole Miss

Usually I like to give a some what reasonable scouting report...... well here it is, make sure to watch the first quarter because OM is horrible.

Holy Cow!!! That was the most accurate pregame prediction I have ever read. You called it, I read it, 'make sure to watch the first quarter' The next time you go to a bar, tell 'em to put your bill on my tab.

But, I gotta ask. Don't you feel at least the slightest twinge of guilt for laying a Chicken Curse on 'em??? WOW, unbelievable call!!!

Reactions: surfincock
Does anyone know where I can find the stats on the attendance for the game. It looked like no one was there.

I find it just a tad bit funny to be criticizing a team that scored 87 points(several points over their 5th ranked season scoring average) on 53% fg shooting and 42% 3 pt shooting with the starters not even playing half the game.
But you are right we were ragged at times. Several reasons leap to mind.
We were under our season average on number of possessions, shot and ft attempts. OM possssed the ball a lot last night. I want to say they had 6 shot clock violations and were milking possessions to attempt to keep the score down.
Starters did not play a great deal and we had lots of time with combos that rarely play together and playing out of position on offense.

Yeah, I felt kind of funny writing it, but my concerns are genuine. Hopefully, when we play the best of the best, they will prove my concerns to be unfounded.

the game was basically a practice. So there is something to it that our best players didn't get a lot of work in when they are going to be relied on heavily against much tougher competition. You don't want to practice playing at 75% effort and then watch teammates dominate while you do so. There is a strong chance that 75 % level of play will carry over to next the game and against a real team it would not be effective. It's a mental trap.

the game was basically a practice. So there is something to it that our best players didn't get a lot of work in when they are going to be relied on heavily against much tougher competition. You don't want to practice playing at 75% effort and then watch teammates dominate while you do so. There is a strong chance that 75 % level of play will carry over to next the game and against a real team it would not be effective. It's a mental trap.

At times, it seemed like 5v0 drills.

Yeah, I felt kind of funny writing it, but my concerns are genuine. Hopefully, when we play the best of the best, they will prove my concerns to be unfounded.

They've already proven your concerns are unfounded. Last night, we beat an SEC team by almost 60 points without even breaking a sweat, and shot extremely well in doing so. We've played one of the toughest schedules in the nation so far and our offense is ranked near the top of the nation in virtually every category not related to FT shooting: FG%: #12; 3pt FG%: #22; Offensive Rebounds / Game: #2; Scoring offense: #5; Scoring margin: #3. We have 4(!) players averaging in double figures, and another just below that. I didn't respond to your initial post because I assumed you were joking or trolling, but you actually seem to be worried about our offense; if so, don't be. I'd be more worried about how our defense will hold up against the really good teams.

Last edited:
Yep, GeoCocky is right - offense is good and will last in a fight. Defense should be focus against the good teams that are coming up. Look what Miss St did to our defense.

Yep, GeoCocky is right - offense is good and will last in a fight. Defense should be focus against the good teams that are coming up. Look what Miss St did to our defense.
Biggest problem the defense has is a guard driving to the basket and getting open lay ups or a player getting really hot on making 3's in big games. Dawn will have a plan against UT.

They've already proven your concerns are unfounded. Last night, we beat an SEC team by almost 60 points without even breaking a sweat, and shot extremely well in doing so. We've played one of the toughest schedules in the nation so far and our offense is ranked near the top of the nation in virtually every category not related to FT shooting: FG%: #12; 3pt FG%: #22; Offensive Rebounds / Game: #2; Scoring offense: #5; Scoring margin: #3. We have 4(!) players averaging in double figures, and another just below that. I didn't respond to your initial post because I assumed you were joking or trolling, but you actually seem to be worried about our offense; if so, don't be. I'd be more worried about how our defense will hold up against the really good teams.

Well, lets look at it: to start, you laid the foundation well by stating - "We've played one of the toughest schedules in the nation so far...".

Against that schedule, we are #28 in Scoring Defense, #4 in FG % Defense, and #95 in 3-pt. FG % Defense. The latter stat needs improvement.

We are #1 in Blocked Shots per game, #11 in Defensive Rebounds per gm, #69 in steals per game, #166 in forced turnovers (7th in the SEC).

We do need to improve in the areas of 3-pt. FG % Defense, steals and forced turnovers. We are a guard-heavy team with Harris, Cooke, and Henderson, and all are very capable one-on-one defenders. I think the improved offense has been cause for the team getting lazy in certain defensive areas: we were doing much better in non-SEC play in steals, FG% D and 3-pt. FG % D, while scoring a bit less each game, and the non-SEC schedule was pretty decent. Since SEC play began, those numbers have all dipped somewhat, while the offense has exploded.

Against Ole Miss, our defense was purely suffocating in the 1st half, holding them to only 2 pts, while our own scoring was down quite a bit. In the 2nd half, we turned the offense way up, and scored 55 pts after halftime, but the Rebels also got their own offense un-tracked, and had a decent half against us.

We also need to remember that we've played Baylor, Arkansas, Miss State, Maryland, even South Dakota. That's 5 of the current top 10 in the nation in Scoring Offense. Some defensive stats are not that good - and really, the steals/gm and 3-pt. FG % D are decent, to be honest - while others are nationally elite. Against some of the elite offenses in the nation, that's not too bad....

Well, lets look at it: to start, you laid the foundation well by stating - "We've played one of the toughest schedules in the nation so far...".

Against that schedule, we are #28 in Scoring Defense, #4 in FG % Defense, and #95 in 3-pt. FG % Defense. The latter stat needs improvement.

We are #1 in Blocked Shots per game, #11 in Defensive Rebounds per gm, #69 in steals per game, #166 in forced turnovers (7th in the SEC).

We do need to improve in the areas of 3-pt. FG % Defense, steals and forced turnovers. We are a guard-heavy team with Harris, Cooke, and Henderson, and all are very capable one-on-one defenders. I think the improved offense has been cause for the team getting lazy in certain defensive areas: we were doing much better in non-SEC play in steals, FG% D and 3-pt. FG % D, while scoring a bit less each game, and the non-SEC schedule was pretty decent. Since SEC play began, those numbers have all dipped somewhat, while the offense has exploded.

Against Ole Miss, our defense was purely suffocating in the 1st half, holding them to only 2 pts, while our own scoring was down quite a bit. In the 2nd half, we turned the offense way up, and scored 55 pts after halftime, but the Rebels also got their own offense un-tracked, and had a decent half against us.

We also need to remember that we've played Baylor, Arkansas, Miss State, Maryland, even South Dakota. That's 5 of the current top 10 in the nation in Scoring Offense. Some defensive stats are not that good - and really, the steals/gm and 3-pt. FG % D are decent, to be honest - while others are nationally elite. Against some of the elite offenses in the nation, that's not too bad....

Thanks for the stats which back up my point. Still less worried about the offense, which is looking consistently better as the season goes on and is ranked in the Top 10-20 in nearly everything, than the defense, which occasionally loses focus and has rankings all over the place. By and large, the interior defense is great (Aliyah, Kiki, V, and LA), and that will carry us a long way against some good teams. To me, our biggest weaknesses are still team FT shooting and perimeter defense, and we're vulnerable if we get into one of these idiot-ref games and Boston or Kiki pick up a couple quick fouls, like with IU.

Biggest problem the defense has is a guard driving to the basket and getting open lay ups or a player getting really hot on making 3's in big games. Dawn will have a plan against UT.

That's mostly due to our size, especially with the bench unit. It creates mismatches on the defensive end. UT is the tallest team in the country, so it shouldn't be a concern against them. Arky and UCONN will be a different story.

Reactions: GeoCocky

Too be honest I'm not even sweating Tenn much. It will be a good game, they have blessed height. But, we got this

That ole miss team. I swear I can’t believe that’s a scholarship team. I dunno if our eye test is just that good but it looked like they grabbed 10 women from the stands of all shapes and sizes and handed out shirts, failing to get any 3XL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT