ADVERTISEMENT

WBB vs UK thread....

I will say macy morris can be my thug any day. Meet her behind the bourbon still.
But if shes a thug, then that makes J and D not a racist somehow. O well who gives a $hit.
Got to agree with her being my thug any day...I knew we agreed on something.

Reactions: Cybercock
Don't know which crew was worse at their job tonight. The Gamecocks or the referees. One of the worse officiated games I've seen in a while but there was no excuse for us losing other than sloppy play. How many times did a Gamecock guard dribble into a double or triple defense at the mid court and lose the ball or dribble into a gang in the post and have the ball slapped away or grabbed by the defense. Hard to watch.

Much as I thought they were stupid on a basketball court, maybe Dawn should go back to high heels..

Very very disappointing loss with so much on the line. Didn’t need this now of all times!

Way to go girls - lay an egg in the 4th - outscored by 12 in the 4th on your home court and let UK break a 9 game losing streak in the process
We may never beat Kentucky again in any sport. We need their facilities

Very poor outing for our Gamecocks! Poor effort and intensity. Worst coached game since mizzery 2017.

Reactions: Cybercock
I saw the same main problems we have had all year plus cold shooting and poor ball security. Our defensive style is always be over extended, don't have players near the rim to defend it, don't collapse, don't rotate for help, just stand by your man and watch 1 vs 1 basketball happen with no team defense. Hardly any usuage of screens on offense. And also on offense, not much use of mid range game instead attack the basket where 3 defenders are always waiting to draw a charge.

Reactions: vacock#
Horrible officiated game. We were getting hammered down low and getting called for touch fouls. Henderson played well but must learn that she can't dribble when triple teen. She had some major miscues. We really missed Cooper on tonight. Kiki has been missing the last 4 games. Saxton is a beast on the boards but not smooth when attempting ro score. We will be ok.

Kiki looked out of sorts last night. Where was she in the 1st half?

She has not looked good for a while, tbh. Kentucky went on an 8-0 run in the 2nd quarter when Kiki and Perry were in the lineup. Coach had to call timeout and get her out of there. Saxton brings more energy and better defense and rebounding.

There are only 3 games left in the regular season. Time for coach to cut the rotation and decide her best lineups.

She has not looked good for a while, tbh. Kentucky went on an 8-0 run in the 2nd quarter when Kiki and Perry were in the lineup. Coach had to call timeout and get her out of there. Saxton brings more energy and better defense and rebounding.

There are only 3 games left in the regular season. Time for coach to cut the rotation and decide her best lineups.
Otherwise, Charlotte as a host site will become academic.

As bad as officiating was, this loss is on the players. KY out-hustled SC to the loose balls. I'm sure the coaches have coached the players how to NOT turn the ball over vs a halfcourt trap. Defense fell apart in the fourth quarter as well as the defenders suddenly struggled coming off screens and KY had good looks to shoot and shot 50% in the last 10 minutes. You can have bad shooting nights, but :
- 21 turnovers is ridiculous. They were making passes to teammates shins and kicking the ball around (twice!). Horrible.
- SC should have dominated the glass vs. KY. Again, SC was out-hustled. Jennings etc should have cleaned up on the glass. Just like the UCONN game, there were times she was basically walking down the floor.
- Kiki has disappeared the last few games
- Other than Henderson, SC was 1-15 from three point land. Perhaps they should try some dribble penetration or pass it quicker to free up the post. I've seen them do it before, but they didn't do it vs, KY.
- Even Tyahsa Harris, who is really the rock of this team, has been inconsistent as of late with the turnovers and poor decisions.

Perhaps this team has hit the wall as a lot of teams do at some point in the season. If they don't get their second wind, this could spiral fast. I had said prior to last night that I thought SC would lose at TN. With the inconsistency I've seen in the last 2 weeks, SC is close to playing itself out of a top 16 seed. Realistically, they have a chance in their next 2 games, but I still think they'll lose at TN. I don't think they will beat State at Colonial Life Arena or the SEC Tournament. If that happens then they're not getting past the second round of NCAAs.

I hope they can get that second wind, but right now the only good energy I'm seeing is from the freshmen Saxton and Henderson (even though Henderson sometimes is out of control and commits too many turnovers."

Go Gamecocks!

As bad as officiating was, this loss is on the players. KY out-hustled SC to the loose balls. I'm sure the coaches have coached the players how to NOT turn the ball over vs a halfcourt trap. Defense fell apart in the fourth quarter as well as the defenders suddenly struggled coming off screens and KY had good looks to shoot and shot 50% in the last 10 minutes. You can have bad shooting nights, but :
- 21 turnovers is ridiculous. They were making passes to teammates shins and kicking the ball around (twice!). Horrible.
- SC should have dominated the glass vs. KY. Again, SC was out-hustled. Jennings etc should have cleaned up on the glass. Just like the UCONN game, there were times she was basically walking down the floor.
- Kiki has disappeared the last few games
- Other than Henderson, SC was 1-15 from three point land. Perhaps they should try some dribble penetration or pass it quicker to free up the post. I've seen them do it before, but they didn't do it vs, KY.
- Even Tyahsa Harris, who is really the rock of this team, has been inconsistent as of late with the turnovers and poor decisions.

Perhaps this team has hit the wall as a lot of teams do at some point in the season. If they don't get their second wind, this could spiral fast. I had said prior to last night that I thought SC would lose at TN. With the inconsistency I've seen in the last 2 weeks, SC is close to playing itself out of a top 16 seed. Realistically, they have a chance in their next 2 games, but I still think they'll lose at TN. I don't think they will beat State at Colonial Life Arena or the SEC Tournament. If that happens then they're not getting past the second round of NCAAs.

I hope they can get that second wind, but right now the only good energy I'm seeing is from the freshmen Saxton and Henderson (even though Henderson sometimes is out of control and commits too many turnovers."

Go Gamecocks!
Hate to read this, but you've summed up exactly what has happened to us. I was pretty much cringing all night watching the ineffectiveness of our play. I haven't expected us to be world beaters this season, but I have absolutely expected (hoped, wished, begged for) better and more cohesive team play on both ends of the court. And that just absolutely was absent last night.

Kiki looked out of sorts last night. Where was she in the 1st half?
On the bench! For some reason I cannot fathom, the Coaching staff started Alexis and Saxton. Two players that operate within 5 feet of the basket. It clogs the lane and sits one of your best shooters while you struggle to score. I just don't get it. It also weakened our bench because Destanni and Victaria have such chemistry and bring so much energy. The never found any rhythm or focus. I believe that starting lineup caused a toxic breakdown of the team chemistry. How else do you explain so many players performing so poorly on one night.

I hate to say it but better coaching could have fixed that.

Yeah, that is what I implied but did not say. As JasonScott said "I'm sure the coaches have coached the players how to NOT turn the ball over vs a halfcourt trap". Certainly they did coach that but how to explain that we continued to play into the trap over and over? I cringed at every trap and still we did it again and again.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacock#
On the bench! For some reason I cannot fathom, the Coaching staff started Alexis and Saxton. Two players that operate within 5 feet of the basket. It clogs the lane and sits one of your best shooters while you struggle to score. I just don't get it. It also weakened our bench because Destanni and Victaria have such chemistry and bring so much energy. The never found any rhythm or focus. I believe that starting lineup caused a toxic breakdown of the team chemistry. How else do you explain so many players performing so poorly on one night.

When she started against UGA, we fell behind immediately. When she goes to the bench, our bench weakens. She's got to play better when she's in the game. Her defense is atrocious.

I feel like coach has been trying to send a message the last few games that slack play isn't going to cut it. She benched Ty Harris for a game as well recently. I agree that Kiki gives us more options because of her range, but her defense has not been very good as of late - gets beat of the dribble and has committed a lot of fouls and has only 1 block in the last 3 games. There are times this year when Kiki was our best player, but in the last 3 games, Kiki is averaging 5 points/4 rebounds. Perhaps she was trying to light a fire under her... doesn't look like it worked because now Kiki seems to be moping. I don't have a problem with them trying the two bigs in that game at least the start for the simple fact that: Jennings had a big game vs UK in the first meeting, and I think you had to reward Saxton and give her a shot to start because she has played well the last 5 or 6 games. I think Saxton brings good energy, but I agree playing them both at once limits you. And to be honest, Jennings need to be more consistent. She had OK numbers last night, but she should dominate more IMO.
I don't think the starting lineup is what lost us the game. Turnovers, the inability to make open shots, the inability to get the ball into the post vs. the zone, and the inability to defend in the fourth quarter come to mind to me.

I just hope the team can find its second wind, or else, as stated previously, the season could spiral down very quickly. Go Gamecocks!

I feel like coach has been trying to send a message the last few games that slack play isn't going to cut it. She benched Ty Harris for a game as well recently. I agree that Kiki gives us more options because of her range, but her defense has not been very good as of late - gets beat of the dribble and has committed a lot of fouls and has only 1 block in the last 3 games. There are times this year when Kiki was our best player, but in the last 3 games, Kiki is averaging 5 points/4 rebounds. Perhaps she was trying to light a fire under her... doesn't look like it worked because now Kiki seems to be moping. I don't have a problem with them trying the two bigs in that game at least the start for the simple fact that: Jennings had a big game vs UK in the first meeting, and I think you had to reward Saxton and give her a shot to start because she has played well the last 5 or 6 games. I think Saxton brings good energy, but I agree playing them both at once limits you. And to be honest, Jennings need to be more consistent. She had OK numbers last night, but she should dominate more IMO.
I don't think the starting lineup is what lost us the game. Turnovers, the inability to make open shots, the inability to get the ball into the post vs. the zone, and the inability to defend in the fourth quarter come to mind to me.

I just hope the team can find its second wind, or else, as stated previously, the season could spiral down very quickly. Go Gamecocks!

This is not one of Dawn's best defensive teams, nor is it great at rebounding. This team excels when it scores. This team got on a roll when Dawn got smart enough to realize KiKi and Cuevas have to be on the floor. We were winning because we were scoring. We held to UK to 65 so what. We only scored 57. The injury to Cooper hurt. It always hurts to lose your leading scorer! But you can't score a lot of points with Jennings and Saxton on the floor together. That puts your best outside shooter on the bench and clogs the lane for you own penatrators. It bordered on coaching malpractice. The time for sending messages has passed. It's time to see if we can win the conference. Last night made the job a whole lot tougher.

When she started against UGA, we fell behind immediately. When she goes to the bench, our bench weakens. She's got to play better when she's in the game. Her defense is atrocious.

KiKi has been the best player on this team for most of the season. She is our best shooter and shot blocker. She spaced the floor for Jennings and the guards. No she is not a great man defender, neither is Alexis. Play some freaking zone. Cut the stubborn crap and play to your teams strengths. There is no lineup to make this team great defensively. When we score in the 70s and 80s the defense is good enough. Last night's game plan won't beat Tennessee either. This roster has to score to win.

I saw the same main problems we have had all year plus cold shooting and poor ball security. Our defensive style is always be over extended, don't have players near the rim to defend it, don't collapse, don't rotate for help, just stand by your man and watch 1 vs 1 basketball happen with no team defense. Hardly any usuage of screens on offense. And also on offense, not much use of mid range game instead attack the basket where 3 defenders are always waiting to draw a charge.
That's why a lot of us have petitioned for them to zone up because they have big problems with man. Usually one move and their players are past and making lay up after lay up.

I thought the officiating was okay. We just didn't get a lot of the 50-50 calls which is unfortunate.

KiKi has been the best player on this team for most of the season. She is our best shooter and shot blocker. She spaced the floor for Jennings and the guards. No she is not a great man defender, neither is Alexis. Play some freaking zone. Cut the stubborn crap and play to your teams strengths. There is no lineup to make this team great defensively. When we score in the 70s and 80s the defense is good enough. Last night's game plan won't beat Tennessee either. This roster has to score to win.
I heard Staley recently say a couple of times why she doesn't play a lot of zone with this team.... long story short, they don't play it very well so even when they do spring it on a team, they don't stay in it long because the team doesn't play it well or sort of relaxes too much. Again, since she sees them in practice every day, I'm assuming she knows what she's talking about. I've also heard some rumblings that there are other reasons Herbert-Harrigan's time has diminished (other than the fact that her level of play has dropped off). From what I've heard, sometimes kids push things past acceptable limits and coaches have to respond accordingly.

Reactions: DarkCock
I heard Staley recently say a couple of times why she doesn't play a lot of zone with this team.... long story short, they don't play it very well so even when they do spring it on a team, they don't stay in it long because the team doesn't play it well or sort of relaxes too much. Again, since she sees them in practice every day, I'm assuming she knows what she's talking about. I've also heard some rumblings that there are other reasons Herbert-Harrigan's time has diminished (other than the fact that her level of play has dropped off). From what I've heard, sometimes kids push things past acceptable limits and coaches have to respond accordingly.
Let's just condense the situation: something is missing; several things are missing.

I agree Kiki has been good player for most of the season, but she's fading. The time to turn it on is now.

We still win that game if Henderson plays more than 7 minutes in the the 1st half. She's easily our best offensive player. I'm not sure what coach was thinking.

For anyone who can watch the replay, checkout the last possession of the 1st quarter. UK misses, Kiki rebounds with 2 seconds left and lazily throws the ball, a UK player intercepts and gets a shot off at the buzzer. I'm not sure what she was thinking. Her body language is bad. Something isn't right.

For anyone who can watch the replay, checkout the last possession of the 1st quarter. UK misses, Kiki rebounds with 2 seconds left and lazily throws the ball, a UK player intercepts and gets a shot off at the buzzer. I'm not sure what she was thinking. Her body language is bad. Something isn't right.

well if you have played as well as she had most of the season and get yanked out of the lineup at Arkansas for Cliney and again last night to start two post that can't play more than 5 feet from the hoop, you would be bewildered as well. Now I realize players have to be tough and perform whether they are pissed or not. But the young ladies are human

That's ironic. I don't see the practices. But Alexis and KiKi are not good man defenders. Saxton does a good job. Maybe that is why she started. Victaria and KiKi would have been a much better combination. But no matter how bad Jennings plays she always starts.

well if you have played as well as she had most of the season and get yanked out of the lineup at Arkansas for Cliney and again last night to start two post that can't play more than 5 feet from the hoop, you would be bewildered as well. Now I realize players have to be tough and perform whether they are pissed or not. But the young ladies are human
The way I see it, if you think you deserve to start, then prove it with your performance. Read previous post. I believe there are reasons outside of her recent performances as to why she has been in and out of the lineup... and I don't disagree that if all is well with Kiki, it's not the worst idea to start Saxton over Jennings.

Reactions: DarkCock
I'll be very interested in the effort put forth in these final games. It's a long season. Players get tired, I get that. But older players should be able to snap out of it quicker and provide leadership. I think that in the last several games, it's the older players who have been sub par and let the team down. Freshmen will make mistakes - as Henderson did multiple times in dribbling into traps. Sunday's game could be very telling about the leadership of the team. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: lawcalcock
The way I see it, if you think you deserve to start, then prove it with your performance. Read previous post. I believe there are reasons outside of her recent performances as to why she has been in and out of the lineup... and I don't disagree that if all is well with Kiki, it's not the worst idea to start Saxton over Jennings.

Agreed. But look back over the season! What post has played better than Harrigan? KiKi is the player that turned out season around in late December. Once Cuevas got healthy, she gave us ball pressure that helped the defense a lot. But this team has not had great defense all season. The best part of it has been blocked shots by KiKi and Saxton plus steals from Cuevas and Cooper. But the team defense is not up to Staley's standards.

You know there is no bigger Dawn Staley fan than me. But if they can't play zone effectively, she needs to look in the mirror and hire an assistant that teach a great match up zone principles.

Agreed. But look back over the season! What post has played better than Harrigan? KiKi is the player that turned out season around in late December. Once Cuevas got healthy, she gave us ball pressure that helped the defense a lot. But this team has not had great defense all season. The best part of it has been blocked shots by KiKi and Saxton plus steals from Cuevas and Cooper. But the team defense is not up to Staley's standards.

You know there is no bigger Dawn Staley fan than me. But if they can't play zone effectively, she needs to look in the mirror and hire an assistant that teach a great match up zone principles.
I don't think she has a problem teaching it... from what I heard her say in an interview it sounded more like the players don't play it well and it causes them to get lazy in other parts of the game. To me, that's a between the ears thing. Kiki has been good most of the year, but whatever is going on off the court seems to be affecting on the court.

A zone should be easier than man. You have to cover your zone and make sure you keep the 3 pointer down and have 2 players to stop the dribble drive up the middle.

I'll be very interested in the effort put forth in these final games. It's a long season. Players get tired, I get that. But older players should be able to snap out of it quicker and provide leadership. I think that in the last several games, it's the older players who have been sub par and let the team down. Freshmen will make mistakes - as Henderson did multiple times in dribbling into traps. Sunday's game could be very telling about the leadership of the team. Hoping for the best.

My biggest criticism of coach last night -- If Henderson is having trouble bringing the ball up the floor, then have some else do it or help her. Don't take her out, like coach did in the 1st half.

Henderson was 4-5 on 3 pointers last night.

All other USC players were 1-15 from 3. :eek:

She needs to be on the floor. If I'm an opposing coach, I'm going to clock the lane and force USC to make outside shots. That's what Kentucky did last night.

Reactions: cockylady50
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT