ADVERTISEMENT

We can't say Ellis Johnson didn't warn us....

PC31

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2005
This is my post from Sept after hearing Coach Johnson on Phil Kornbluts radio show. I completely disagreed with him but.....Guy knows some football I reckon.

Hero Ellis Johnson had some interesting things to say tonight on Phil Kornbluts radio show. Phil still has the best radio show in the state IMO. He has Ellis and Chuck Reedy on for his "Chalk Talk" segment each week.
Coach Johnson said if Luke Doty is the future at South Carolina, we don't have a future. Said Doty "pushes" the ball in passes over 20 yards and that will not get better. Said he hears that from a lot of people who know what they are talking about. Says he would start Zeb and recruit like hell telling every good QB we recruit that we play a senior and the job is wide open next year. Sign and come start! If you read between the lines it seems like he thinks Shane is making bad decisions. It's always this is stupid that is stupid the other is stupid BUT SHANE IS DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB.
I have heard Ellis say before that he would start Zeb over Luke.
Reedy agreed that Doty is not the future at Carolina but said he'd play him anyway to try to get 6 wins with his running. Both say Doty will never be a good passer.
I am sure you can go to sportstalksc and hear to segment. It was lively and interesting. Reedy said some choice things about clem too.

This is my post from Sept after hearing Coach Johnson on Phil Kornbluts radio show. I completely disagreed with him but.....Guy knows some football I reckon.

Hero Ellis Johnson had some interesting things to say tonight on Phil Kornbluts radio show. Phil still has the best radio show in the state IMO. He has Ellis and Chuck Reedy on for his "Chalk Talk" segment each week.
Coach Johnson said if Luke Doty is the future at South Carolina, we don't have a future. Said Doty "pushes" the ball in passes over 20 yards and that will not get better. Said he hears that from a lot of people who know what they are talking about. Says he would start Zeb and recruit like hell telling every good QB we recruit that we play a senior and the job is wide open next year. Sign and come start! If you read between the lines it seems like he thinks Shane is making bad decisions. It's always this is stupid that is stupid the other is stupid BUT SHANE IS DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB.
Reedy agreed that Doty is not the future at Carolina but said he'd play him anyway to try to get 6 wins with his running. Both say Doty will never be a good passer.
I am sure you can go to sportstalksc and hear to segment. It was lively and interesting. Reedy said some choice things about clem too.
It’s hard for me to judge Doty full game because he’s clearly not 100%. He’s much faster than what he’s showing right now. I believe if we have a college type offense Brown would look much better as well because it’s not that he lack ability. If you look at his film he has the best arm on the roster. Doty misses all deep throws. I hope Davis is ready to play next season which I don’t believe he will be. We need a game changer bad. Doty could be the answer if he improve like we see a lot of QBs do in this conference with the right coaches

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
You're so passionate.

Are you the one who had Brown penciled in for Heisman at the start of the season?
Once again you people just make up things you want to hear. Who said Heisman? No one ever Said Heisman. Sorry but Doty has NO business playing QB and if you are referring to Brown, Doty is not half the Passer Brown is, so please stop with Doty he is no more than a project. He has NO FIELD VISION. SORRY! Every excuse they can come up with, his foot is hurt he needs more time, he's getting better. Just please stop. He can better help the team some where else.

Last edited:

I think I recall seeing the pushing motion that Coach Johnson is talking about in Doty's long passes. Improper fundamentals can indeed limit an upside in a skilled, repetitive motion.

It’s hard for me to judge Doty full game because he’s clearly not 100%. He’s much faster than what he’s showing right now. I believe if we have a college type offense Brown would look much better as well because it’s not that he lack ability. If you look at his film he has the best arm on the roster. Doty misses all deep throws. I hope Davis is ready to play next season which I don’t believe he will be. We need a game changer bad. Doty could be the answer if he improve like we see a lot of QBs do in this conference with the right coaches
I have been to every game but ECU this season. I have seen Doty make “deep throws”. Saw him throw some last night. “Doty niisses all deep throws” is an ncorrect statement.

Reactions: Macc Maine

I also remember Ellis Johnson going down to southern miss hiring all of his coaching buddies and immediately shitting the bed pulling an 0-11 and getting fired his first year as head coach. So yeah he has that going for him.

USCALUMNI

Doty needs to change position immediately and stop taking snaps away from other guys who can actually play the position.
Sometimes it takes Some kids longer to develop. Phil Petty wasn't good in his first couple of Years. But developed into a really good QB his Junior and Senior Years.

The kid is basically like a Redshirt Freshman. SC Mr. Football. Kid has been playing with an injured foot for goodness sakes.
I haven't seen anything from our Current Coaching Staff to know any Coach We have has the ability Develop a QB Unless Connor Shaw was still with us. I would Trust Connor Shaw, but I don't trust Marcus Satterfield to Develop a QB nor do I trust he can run an offense. The results of our offense speaks for themselves. Skip Holtz developed Phil Petty and Anthony Wright, Two of our best QB's in school History. Steve Spurrier and GA Mangus developed and taught Steven Garcia and Connor Shaw.

We haven't had a Good QB Coach since Steve Spurrier, GA Mangus, Skip Holtz. Name a Successful QB Coach We have had since then? No one. I don't like that we let our most successful QB Connor Shaw Leave our Coaching Staff, I know he works in our AD Dept. I trust in Shaw. He knows How to Win and He knows what it takes to win at a High Level. I think he would be a Great QB Coach. If Shaw stays with our AD I hope he will one day become our Athletic Director

Reactions: Gaimcock
I think some of the hate for Zeb is from people whose lofty expectations for Doty have been dashed for the time being.
This is the sad reality. In the social media age there are so many people that have a desire to be right. Everyone gets it wrong at some point. Me included.

Doty just simply isn’t the best option at QB. He was when Zeb was hurt. He has one ugly win against Troy to show for 8 career games where he played the majority of the snaps.

Zeb gives us the best chance to win now. We need wins now to help with recruiting. I saw us at 4 wins in preseason. We could get 5-6 if we stick with Zeb. Doty and it’s 4-8 guaranteed. It still may happen with Zeb, but the team plays much better with him under center and that’s the only thing that matters.

I’m not Ellis Johnson, but I did say similar things a long time ago. They just weren’t popular back in the day.

Reactions: LBGCOCK
Sometimes it takes Some kids longer to develop. Phil Petty wasn't good in his first couple of Years. But developed into a really good QB his Junior and Senior Years.

The kid is basically like a Redshirt Freshman. SC Mr. Football. Kid has been playing with an injured foot for goodness sakes.
I haven't seen anything from our Current Coaching Staff to know any Coach We have has the ability Develop a QB Unless Connor Shaw was still with us. I would Trust Connor Shaw, but I don't trust Marcus Satterfield to Develop a QB nor do I trust he can run an offense. The results of our offense speaks for themselves. Skip Holtz developed Phil Petty and Anthony Wright, Two of our best QB's in school History. Steve Spurrier and GA Mangus developed and taught Steven Garcia and Connor Shaw.

We haven't had a Good QB Coach since Steve Spurrier, GA Mangus, Skip Holtz. Name a Successful QB Coach We have had since then? No one. I don't like that we let our most successful QB Connor Shaw Leave our Coaching Staff, I know he works in our AD Dept. I trust in Shaw. He knows How to Win and He knows what it takes to win at a High Level. I think he would be a Great QB Coach. If Shaw stays with our AD I hope he will one day become our Athletic Director
Connor Shaw is still with us...

But, “he’s an old man who doesn’t know what he’s talking about”….

Oh, the Hall of Fame irony.

😂

Skip Holtz developed Anthony Wright? Lol.

Reactions: SandStormAggedon
I think I recall seeing the pushing motion that Coach Johnson is talking about in Doty's long passes. Improper fundamentals can indeed limit an upside in a skilled, repetitive motion.
I’ve seen it at times also. But I’m wondering if his foot has something to do with it?

His TD pass to Bell was a beautiful pass, I didn’t see the “push” motion. Now the word is he reinjured his foot during the game.

Throwing mechanics start with your base. If he has issues with his base, it kicks everything else out of whack.

I have been to every game but ECU this season. I have seen Doty make “deep throws”. Saw him throw some last night. “Doty niisses all deep throws” is an ncorrect statement.
I over exaggerated on the “all deep throws” he misses a lot of wide open deep throws on go routes. I watched every game this season and I can’t remember one go route he hit to one of his wideouts. If you can please remind me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT