Weekly Thoughts (Vandy Edition)

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
Also see: The Vegas View: South Carolina-Vanderbilt
Also see: Matt O'Brien: On to Vanderbilt, prediction and more

General Thoughts before Vanderbilt

1). Two Big Road Games –
Every game for South Carolina from here out is big but I think these next two road games have a different feeling to them. I’m sure some of that is because of the way Vanderbilt and Kentucky have played so far this season. Vanderbilt is coming off a game where they outplayed Notre Dame on the road and Kentucky has won at Florida. These two games look a little different than what they looked like three weeks ago. I really believe we are about to find out a lot about this South Carolina team over the two weeks.

I still think there is a lot of unknown about South Carolina right now. I think they could realistically go anywhere from 0-2 to 2-0 over the next two games. The obvious here is that they must go 2-0 to stay in the hunt in the SEC East. I would also say they need to go 2-0 to have a chance to have the type of season most fans wanted. I think the game this weekend is really interesting. How is South Carolina going to respond to the loss against Georgia and also having not played in two weeks? How is Vanderbilt going to respond to losing to a top 10 team on the road that they outplayed except in the turnover battle?

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that these two games look a lot bigger right now than they did before the season started. I think some of that is because of the way South Carolina played two weeks ago and also the way Vanderbilt and Kentucky have played. If South Carolina can find a way to escape Nashville with a win, then next weekend looks really interesting with the losing streak on the line. I might be getting a little ahead of myself.

2). Defensive line – One big concern I had after the Georgia game was South Carolina’s defensive line and also how they will hold up against the run this season. I will say that Georgia’s offensive line is one of the best in the country and South Carolina isn’t going to play another offensive line as good as Georgia’s. With that said, I’m a little concerned about South Carolina’s run defense going into this game this weekend.

I think South Carolina needs to get bigger on the defensive line with D.J. Wonnum out right now. I don’t know if that means giving Kobe Smith more game action or possibly even Rick Sandidge, who I thought flashed against Georgia. There are players on the defensive line that I was expecting more from but it hasn’t happened for whatever reason yet. It is also fair to point out that South Carolina has only played two games. There is no more Ralph Webb for Vanderbilt but they are still going to try to establish the run game with three different tailbacks. It is a big key for South Carolina to be able to handle Vanderbilt’s ground game this weekend and put pressure on Kyle Shurmur to make plays.

3). Changes – Another thing that I think is going to be interesting to see this week for South Carolina is how many changes there will be in the lineup for South Carolina. Will Muschamp has made it known that he isn’t happy with the play at the safety position. I think that might be a spot where you might see a change. It would be nice for South Carolina if someone could step up at the position. I’ve already touched on the defensive line and how I think South Carolina needs to get bigger at the line of scrimmage. Running back is another position that could be worth watching Saturday. Ty’Son Williams was more productive against Georgia. If he has been good in practices, then I would see him getting the first carry Saturday.

4). On Vandy – I think one interesting thing to watch Saturday is going to be who gets off to the better start. Vanderbilt has started slow in every game this season. South Carolina has also started slow in their share of games dating back to last year. One of these teams will end that trend. Another note is that Vanderbilt has been really good in the second half this season. Derek Mason and his coaching staff have made the right adjustments so far this year.

One area where I like how South Carolina matches up is their offensive line against Vanderbilt’s front seven. If you remember, South Carolina actually ran the ball really well last year against Vanderbilt. I think that could be the case again Saturday. I’m sure South Carolina will want to run the ball after getting away from it against Georgia. Vanderbilt’s strength on defense is in their secondary and forcing turnovers this season.

On the other side of the ball, I think Vanderbilt will be able to move the football against South Carolina’s defense. Shurmur obviously had a big game last year in Columbia but they didn’t have much of a running game. A lot of that was because they were playing from behind for most of the game. Vanderbilt’s offensive line isn’t great and that is where I think South Carolina’s defense needs to take advantage. Kalija Lipscomb and Jared Pinkney are the two players to watch for Vanderbilt. Lipscomb is the big play threat at receiver. He also had a big game last year against South Carolina. Pinkney could be a tough matchup for South Carolina at tight end. He has made explosive plays all year for Vanderbilt.

5). 2019 Schedule – The last thing I want to touch on is South Carolina’s schedule for next year. My thoughts on it are similar to everyone’s. It is a tough schedule. The first thing that stood out to me is that South Carolina will be playing, arguably, the top three teams (Bama, UGA, Clemson) in the country next year. They do get two of them at home (Bama and Clemson), which should make for a fun home schedule. The road schedule isn’t overly difficult and they aren’t back to back. Missouri and Tennessee should be winnable games on the road. Georgia and A&M will be tough.

The position of the off weeks for South Carolina is a positive in my opinion. They start off with a five game stretch and then get a week off before a stretch of Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. The hope for South Carolina is that the game after the first off week (Georgia) decides the East. The second off week is before Clemson. I have no clue why App State is even on the schedule. That is probably the thing I hate the most about the entire schedule. I don’t know what South Carolina gets out of playing a team like that. If you win, you were supposed to win. If you lose, then you are laughed at. And App State is a pretty good team and will have a shot at beating South Carolina.

SEC Power Rankings

1). Alabama

2). Georgia

3). LSU

4). Auburn

Alabama might deserve to be in their own group at the top the way they are playing right now. Georgia looks to be the team they were last year. They might be the team that has the best chance to beat Alabama this year. I still have questions about their defense and we should get a good look at them this weekend against Missouri. LSU had a statement win at Auburn. They might have the two best wins in the country right now. I’m a little worried about Auburn but I just think they have too much talent on defense. Jarrett Stidham has to play better.

5). Mississippi State

6). Texas A&M

I think this is the second tier in the SEC right now. The point differential Mississippi State has put is impressive. I will be honest in saying that I haven’t watched them play much at all except the early part of their game against Kansas State. We are about to find out a lot about this team with a stretch of Kentucky, Florida, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M coming up. A&M is this high right now based off how they played Clemson. It will be interesting to see if they can compete with Alabama this weekend.

7). Kentucky

8). South Carolina

9). Missouri

10). Florida

11). Vanderbilt

Who is the second best team in the East? I don’t really know. I do know that it is one of the teams listed above. I would still slightly lean towards South Carolina if all things were even. I have Kentucky at the top spot because of the road win over Florida. Missouri has put up a lot of points but also just gave up over 500 yards passing to Purdue last weekend and barely survived. I think you can make an argument that I have Vanderbilt too low.

12). Ole Miss

13). Tennessee

14). Arkansas

The bottom tier of the SEC right now. I do think Ole Miss and Tennessee have the potential to steal a win at some point this season. Arkansas looks like a complete rebuild right now. They have two embarrassing losses already.

My Top 10:

1). Alabama

2). Georgia

3). LSU

4). Ohio State

5). Clemson

6). Oklahoma

7). Stanford

8). Penn State

9). Notre Dame

10). Auburn

Some people might call me bias with three SEC teams at the top but that is the way I see it right now. If the season ended today, then those are the four teams I would take. Obviously, three SEC teams are not going to make the playoff. I think it will be difficult for two to make it in back to back years. I think both Clemson and Oklahoma are in good shape right now. I would predict both to make the playoff. I left Auburn in the top 10 because I still believe they are a top 10 team. I was surprised by the loss but I still expect them to make an impact on what the playoff looks like.

Big Game Predictions

We had to skip a week because of the hurricane and power issues. It was another ugly week for me in week two. I had an awful record of 8-6 overall and 4-3 in SEC games in week two. That brings my overall record to 21-11 overall and 15-5 in SEC games. Chris beat me again going 9-5 overall and 5-2 in SEC games last week. He is now 24-8 overall and 17-3 in SEC games. The good news for me is that I did beat him head to head in fantasy football last weekend.

Texas A&M @ Alabama

Chris:
This is the most talent on offense across the board that Nick Saban has had at Alabama. Tua Tagovailoa is easily the best passer Saban’s had. Like every other team Alabama has played, the Aggies won’t be able to slow down Alabama in this one.

Alabama 48 Texas A&M 20

Josh:
I think it is going to be a little closer than that. A&M impressed me against Clemson a couple weeks ago but playing at Alabama is a different animal. I don’t see A&M every really being in this game but I don’t think they will be embarrassed either.

Alabama 37 Texas A&M 17

Stanford @ Oregon

Chris:
The winner of this game will stay alive in the College Football Playoff hunt. It is always tough to win at Oregon, but getting Bryce Love back will be the difference for Stanford in getting a big road win.

Stanford 28 Oregon 24

Josh:
What worries me about Stanford in this one is looking ahead to next weekend against Notre Dame and how healthy is Bryce Love. However, Oregon hasn’t been tested this season and it seems like Stanford has them figured out. The last two contests have been blowout wins for Stanford against Oregon. I think this one is closer, but Stanford wins and forces a huge game next weekend at Notre Dame.

Stanford 37 Oregon 27

Florida @ Tennessee

Chris:
Both of these teams have struggled on the offensive line this season, which means this should come down to who holds up the best upfront offensively. The Vols will figure out a way to win thanks to the home crowd and a couple key forced turnovers on defense.

Tennessee 27 Florida 21

Josh:
I was set to pick Tennessee until he told me that he was picking them. I just think Tennessee is going to win a game on their schedule that they probably shouldn’t. I’m sure that crowd is going to be going wild with it being a night game. Those are the reasons why I would have picked Tennessee. There is also a good chance that Florida is going to break Tennessee’s heart again so I will go with that.

Florida 20 Tennessee 17

Other Notable Games:

Chris:

Georgia over Missouri by 21

Kentucky over Mississippi State by 3

Auburn over Arkansas by 24

Notre Dame over Wake Forest by 13

Boston College over Purdue by 7

Clemson over Georgia Tech by 20

TCU over Texas by 4

Wisconsin over Iowa by 6

Washington over Arizona State by 24

UCF over Florida Atlantic by 7

Southern Cal over Washington State by 10

Josh:

Georgia over Missouri by 17

Mississippi State over Kentucky by 14

Auburn over Arkansas by 17

Notre Dame over Wake Forest by 7

Boston College over Purdue by 11

Clemson over Georgia Tech by 27

Texas over TCU by 3

Wisconsin over Iowa by 8

Washington over Arizona State by 17

UCF over Florida Atlantic by 8

Southern Cal over Washington State by 3

South Carolina @ Vanderbilt

Chris:
Vandy has typically played South Carolina tough over the years and this game should be no different. Vandy has improved defensively and is coming off a tough loss at Notre Dame. But the Gamecocks will get just enough plays on offense to slip out of Nashville with a win.

South Carolina 24 Vanderbilt 21

Josh:
I agree that I think it will be another close game between these two teams. I think Vanderbilt surprised a lot of people last week. I also think they fully have the attention of South Carolina. I think South Carolina is going to be able to put up some points this weekend behind their offensive line. I think it will be the defense that makes just enough plays for South Carolina to escape Nashville.

South Carolina 31 Vanderbilt 27

Also see: The Vegas View: South Carolina-Vanderbilt
Also see: Matt O'Brien: On to Vanderbilt, prediction and more

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News