ADVERTISEMENT

****Weekly Thoughts****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
Scouting East Carolina

East Carolina is a dangerous team because of the offense. They are somewhat similar to Texas A&M except they don't have the athletes that A&M had. They run an air raid offense with up-tempo. They will use a lot of play action, even though they don't run the ball that much. The bubble screen is a part of the offense and they like to get rid of the ball quick.

The offense is led by senior quarterback Shane Carden. Carden is a dual-threat quarterback. He is dangerous when he extends plays, which he does a lot. He has an accurate arm and can really hurt you on the run. He is hard to get on the ground for a sack.

East Carolina has weapons at receiver and the biggest one is Justin Hardy. He is their all-time leader in receptions and is their playmaker. They like to get it to him quick and let him make plays in open space. He will be the player to watch and see if the tackling has improved for South Carolina.

Isaiah Jones and Cam Worthy are the two other receivers that caught my attention in East Carolina's opening game. Jones is more of a slot guy that is going to work the middle of the field. Worthy is a big outside receiver that is East Carolina's downfield threat. He is going to be a bad matchup for South Carolina's cornerbacks.

East Carolina will use a lot of running backs. Like I said above, they don't run the ball that much. They will utilize the running backs in the passing game like A&M did. Anthony Scott is a true freshman and was their prized recruit from last year's class. He has great speed but is a small back. They also have a running back that should be familiar to most Gamecock fans and that is Marquez Grayson. Grayson was recruited by South Carolina out of Lexington High School in North Carolina.

I wasn't impressed with their offensive line in the season opener. They are a big group. They didn't get much push against North Carolina Central and they weren't great in pass protection either.

I will caution that this isn't the same East Carolina defense that South Carolina has seen in the past when they have played them. This is a group that has improved every year. With that said, South Carolina should still be able to move the ball and put up a lot of points.

East Carolina is going to run something similar to a 3-4 with an outside linebacker as a pass rusher. The defensive line and secondary are average at best.

The spot where they are strong on the defense is at linebacker. They also have some familiar names there. Montese Overton, who South Carolina recruited out of high school, is the starting outside linebacker and he is used in a variety of ways. He will rush the passer and drop back in coverage. He is a really good player and will be all over the field Saturday night.

Zeek Bigger is the starting inside linebacker and is the guy they rely on to help stop the run. Devaris Brunson, who is from Lake City, is another one of their inside linebackers that is a good player.

This is a solid East Carolina team. They won 10 games last year and I could easily see them doing the same this year. They have Virginia Tech and North Carolina after this weekend's game and I wouldn't be surprised if they pull an upset somewhere.

5 Things I'm Watching

1). David Williams and the running game: What Gamecock fan does not want to see what redshirt freshman running back David Williams can do this week? I've heard for almost a year now about the potential that he has and how some at USC think he may be their best running back on the current roster. I want to see what the kid can do in a real game. I also want to see if South Carolina will commit to the running game this week and pound the rock.

2). The personnel changes: This goes for both the offense and defense. It all starts upfront on the offensive line assuming Will Sport and Alan Knott do start Saturday night like expected. Lorenzo Ward listed a couple changes to the defense Thursday night and it will be interesting to see how that works and who plays more.

3). Free Damiere Byrd: One of the biggest things I didn't agree with last week was the lack of playing time for receiver Damiere Byrd. Byrd has developed nicely while at South Carolina and I think he is a complete receiver now. He isn't just a deep threat or an occasional carry type of player. He needs to be used more in this offense. He can play all three receiver spots and I think he should be a starter.

4). 3-4 or 4-2: South Carolina elected to use the 3-4 more last week than their base defense of 4-2-5. It will be interesting to see what happens this week against a similar offense in East Carolina.

5). Pass rush and secondary: This had to be the two biggest concerns for Gamecock fans after the A&M game was over. What changes have been made to try to improve these two areas a week later?

Contender or Pretender: I figured I would try something new this week and play a little game of contender or pretender. There are always teams that get a lot of hype after one week of football and I'm going to tell you if you should believe the hype or not.

Georgia: They have become the sexy pick for the media this week when projecting who is in the college football playoff after beating Clemson in week one. This is a hard one because I wouldn't rank them in my personal top five right now but I do really like their schedule. I don't see many games where they will be tested and could get a loss. Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, and Missouri are the only games I see where they could possibly be tested. I would say out of that group, Missouri is a reach right now and we don't know what Florida has. Count me as someone who isn't totally convinced with Georgia but has to go with contender because of the schedule. CONTENDER

Texas A&M: This is another hard one because of the schedule. I'm more sold on A&M than I am on Georgia but A&M's schedule is brutal in the backend. They have to go on the road to Alabama, Auburn, and Mississippi State. They also host LSU and Ole Miss. Those are hard games and could go either way. I think A&M will play with a chip on their shoulder the whole season and should be a top 10 team throughout the season. I do think they are a legit contender for the SEC West. CONTENDER

Tennessee: People are starting to jump on the Tennessee bandwagon and saying they are back after a win over Utah State in week one. I'm not one that is buying the hype. They will win easily this week against Arkansas State but will then have a wake-up call the next two weeks against Oklahoma and Georgia. The biggest goal for Tennessee this season should be getting to a bowl. PRETENDER

Louisville: Louisville was able to shine on Monday night against Miami with no one else on TV. I will say that I was impressed and Charlie Strong definitely left Bobby Petrino with some weapons. The game shouldn't even been as close as it was. I do like Louisville's schedule. The big two games will be on the road against Clemson and Notre Dame. If they can find a way to win on the road in Clemson, which I'm leaning towards them doing so, then I think the game at home against Florida State will be for the ACC Atlantic. CONTENDER

Auburn: I'm putting Auburn in here because I said last week that Auburn would be my pick for the team in the top 10 that was most likely to flop. I'm going to stick with my guns here. I do think Auburn is a good team but I think they will slip up a couple times somewhere on that schedule. They may be the best 9 or 10 win team in the country when the season is over but that won't win them a championship. PRETENDER

My Top 10: (The top 4 would be my playoff picks as of today)

1). Florida State
2). Oklahoma
3). Oregon
4). Alabama
5). Michigan State
6). Texas A&M
7). Auburn
8). Georgia
9). UCLA
10). Ohio State

Big Game Predictions: I went 15-2 last week missing Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Luckily for me, this is another week of lopsided games in the SEC. It is so bad this week in the SEC that I didn't pick all of them.

Michigan State @ Oregon

Count me as one that is surprised about the point spread on this one. I think it will be a one score game and come down to the very end. I'm a believer in both of these teams this season but I'm going with Oregon because of the home field advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a rematch in the college football playoff.

The Pick: Oregon 30 Michigan State 27

Southern Cal @ Stanford

The Pac-12 is delivering the good games this week. I think this will be another good game. Southern Cal pulled off the upset last year against Stanford and I think they will do the same Saturday. I like Southern Cal to win a very close game and that will lead to a lot of people asking if they are back.

The Pick: Southern Cal 27 Stanford 24

Michigan @ Notre Dame

I guess this is the game where most college football fans would like to see both teams lose. I like Michigan in this game because of all the losses Notre Dame has on the defense and the secondary. I do think both offenses will shine but Michigan will make a play late to win.

The Pick: Michigan 31 Notre Dame 24

Other Notable Games:

Alabama over Florida Atlantic by 34
Missouri over Toledo by 7
Tennessee over Arkansas State by 20
Mississippi State over UAB by 21
Kentucky over Ohio by 13
Florida over Eastern Michigan by 35
Ole Miss over Vanderbilt by 17
Auburn over San Jose State by 34
Texas A&M over Lamar by 38
Ohio State over Virginia Tech by 4
North Carolina over San Diego State by 14
Kansas State over Iowa State by 17
Pitt over Boston College by 7
BYU over Texas by 3

East Carolina @ South Carolina

This is definitely a dangerous game for the Gamecocks. It will be interesting to see how South Carolina responds to last week. I think there will be a lot of points put up in this game. I didn't see anything last week that makes me believe that South Carolina will come out and shut the ECU offense down. On the other side of the ball, South Carolina needs to pound the rock and I think they will. I think this will be a close game throughout and South Carolina will escape with their first victory of the season.

The Pick: South Carolina 38 East Carolina 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News