ADVERTISEMENT

"We're coming to port to avoid you." Someone needs to be reassigned.

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
In clear daylight where weather is not a factor two U.S. ships almost collide. Need to reassign some personnel to the right career field that best fits their skills because navigating a ship is surely not for them.

In clear daylight where weather is not a factor two U.S. ships almost collide. Need to reassign some personnel to the right career field that best fits their skills because navigating a ship is surely not for them.

”damn the torpedoes”……..go Harpers Ferry flatten em![/MEDIA]

Not even close. Ever seen a DDG fire up his engines and make a hard turn? 🙄

0:57....

The larger vessel, the USS Harpers Ferry, has encroached the channel as evidenced by the destroyer, USS Momsen, not having access to the red channel marker, as she enters port, which should be directly available on her starboard side. Clearly, the larger ship has violated the rules as she should have the green marker, visible in the video, directly on her starboard side leaving the harbor. This is basic navigation, and whoever was in charge of the conn, will most likely be subject to a Board of Inquiry. This is serious stuff in the Navy.

Last edited:
This is basic navigation, and whoever was in charge of the conn, will most likely be subject to a Board of Inquiry. This serious stuff in the Navy.
I do not like to see anyone get drugged through the mud over honest mistakes, but in this instance this collision could have resulted in loss of life. Also, I do not want someone that is struggling with navigating a ship in port going to South China Sea and shadowing the Chinese ships.

Reactions: cockgun
Plenty of room in the channel for both to navigate. No reason to wait that late to maneuver. I've learned that not everyone knows or follows the rules. Therefore some defensive navigation is required. Typically the more maneuverable vessel will evade the other.

Plenty of room in the channel for both to navigate. No reason to wait that late to maneuver. I've learned that not everyone knows or follows the rules. Therefore some defensive navigation is required. Typically the more maneuverable vessel will evade the other.
These vessels are subject to Coast Guard rules of navigation. Here is the rule:

Rule 9—Narrow Channels (a) ‹‹ (i) ›› A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.

Cant tell from the video where the other marker is, but the larger vessel is clearly on the wrong side.

Reactions: cockgun
Don't know how they do it now, but in my Navy days, a pilot was brought on board to navigate in and out of port. The pilots were experts on the port.

Reactions: TAV31
Don't know how they do it now, but in my Navy days, a pilot was brought on board to navigate in and out of port. The pilots were experts on the port.
Ditto: The last time I checked, the USN typically utilizes harbor pilots that navigate channels based on the most recent local conditions and at least they did for all of my trips in and out of Charleston which had it own issues. You never know that they could have been doing a mining exercise as well. The motto is do not judge unless you have all of the information.

Thanks, there is a green marker at the 1:30 mark just off the bow of the destroyer.
I see now. Wow. That basic navigation whether you’re a large vessel leaving harbor or a 21’ center console leaving the creeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT