ADVERTISEMENT

What about Dave Clawson at Wake Forest as great new hire for our team?

If you look at his coaching stint: https://godeacs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=440&path=football

He takes over teams that are in the gutter and brings them back.

He is 5-0 at Wake right now. He just might be the ACC coach of the year if they keep winning.

ok. He sounds impressive. He was Fat Phil’s OC in 2008 after Cutliffe left UT. What did his offense do that year vs SEC D’s? ( I just don’t have time to look it up)

He is kindof a small school guy. Not that we could not buy him out of Wake, but he seems like a better fit there.

He’s a true Northerner. (That’s politically correct for yankee.) Do you think he can recruit down south? He’s made it south as far as western KY, and Knoxville, but that ain’t NC, SC, GA, FL. What did he do his 1 year at UT?

He’s a true Northerner. (That’s politically correct for yankee.) Do you think he can recruit down south? He’s made it south as far as western KY, and Knoxville, but that ain’t NC, SC, GA, FL. What did he do his 1 year at UT?

This reminds me of when I was 7 years old and moved from NC to Memphis. Riding bikes with my new neighbors, they said, "You're from North Carolina? You're a yankee!"

Reactions: TheReelEss
Eh, he was a .500 coach at Fordham and Bowling Green, has a losing record at Wake and 9 games over .500 at Richmond.

Yea, those guys from up North can't come down south and expect to recruit and coach successfully. Everyone knows that.
BTW: Nick Saban says hello.

At this point in the season, why cant we just accept who the current coach is and see what happens the rest of the way. Muschamp is going nowhere until at least end of next year at earliest so no point in the fans hiring a coach that will not be here at any point for a couple of years if at all.

Reactions: Immasafebet
At this point in the season, why cant we just accept who the current coach is and see what happens the rest of the way. Muschamp is going nowhere until at least end of next year at earliest so no point in the fans hiring a coach that will not be here at any point for a couple of years if at all.
Agreed, why do we as a fan base have to have a fire sale on coaches whenever one season or a couple of games don’t go as we hoped. Same thing happened with Frank Martin, wanting to fire him a year after his final four run. Really, no coach has even sniffed winning a game in the tournament and our fans wanted him gone?? Give Muschamp time to get his full compliment of players and give him time to flip the roster. Please don’t use Kirby as an example because he walked into a situation where he had talent on the roster plus Georgia has traditionally been able to bring in blue chip recruits and us, not so much. We get blue chip recruits sparingly. So can we as a program just chill and give the man time to prove himself. Some of our fans have to stop coaching from the couch and thinking just because you mastered PS4 or Xbox that you know football.

Agreed, why do we as a fan base have to have a fire sale on coaches whenever one season or a couple of games don’t go as we hoped. Same thing happened with Frank Martin, wanting to fire him a year after his final four run. Really, no coach has even sniffed winning a game in the tournament and our fans wanted him gone?? Give Muschamp time to get his full compliment of players and give him time to flip the roster. Please don’t use Kirby as an example because he walked into a situation where he had talent on the roster plus Georgia has traditionally been able to bring in blue chip recruits and us, not so much. We get blue chip recruits sparingly. So can we as a program just chill and give the man time to prove himself. Some of our fans have to stop coaching from the couch and thinking just because you mastered PS4 or Xbox that you know football.

Couple of games?

Couple of games?
Does it really matter how many games, some people would nit pick and bitch about it no matter what. We were bitching about games we lost when Spurrier was here and going 11-2

I am not sure this Northerner issue is of any merit. Depends on the individual. Saban is not from the South. If he is a great coach everything else follows.

A few "Northerners" and Midwestern types come to mind who had a little success recruiting and coaching in the South. Meyer (Ohio), Richt (Nebraska), Bryant (Arkansas), Saban (WV), Neyland (Tx), Mullen (PA), Morrison (Ohio), Fisher (WV), J. Johnson (TX), Davis (OK), Franklin (PA), Herman (OH), Miles (OH), Holtz (OH), Stoops (OH), and I know I have missed a bunch.

Reactions: Cap Boso 97
Does it really matter how many games, some people would nit pick and bitch about it no matter what. We were bitching about games we lost when Spurrier was here and going 11-2

Context matters.

In 2011 we lost an ugly game to an average Auburn team that finished 4-4 in conference.

In 2012 we lost to the Vols who finished 5-7 that year.

Both games were ones we should have won but played poorly in, and both losses kept us out of the SECCG.

Context matters.

Reactions: HI Cock

Context matters.

In 2011 we lost an ugly game to an average Auburn team that finished 4-4 in conference.

Both games were ones we should have won but played poorly in, and both losses kept us out of the SECCG.

Context matters.
Context does matter, and I was just as upset about those losses as any fan was and I played the what-if game too cause it cost us the east regular season championship. But I wasn’t one of the ones that was talking ish about Spurrier. Even in our greatest football era it’s hard to get 18,19,20 year old to get up every week and not have let downs.

Context does matter, and I was just as upset about those losses as any fan was and I played the what-if game too cause it cost us the east regular season championship. But I wasn’t one of the ones that was talking ish about Spurrier. Even in our greatest football era it’s hard to get 18,19,20 year old to get up every week and not have let downs.

I don't recall anyone really bashing Spurrier during those times. I recall tons being pissed at the team about losing and mostly pissed at Garcia for the Auburn loss, but it was seen as more of a Gamecock problem, not a Spurrier problem.

Spurrier bashing is more of a recent phenomenon.

I don't recall anyone really bashing Spurrier during those times. I recall tons being pissed at the team about losing and mostly pissed at Garcia for the Auburn loss, but it was seen as more of a Gamecock problem, not a Spurrier problem.

Spurrier bashing is more of a recent phenomenon.
Maybe not bashing but I heard plenty of callers on the radio call in shows questioning calls or how he handled the team or called the game. Point being we still have fans that question anything a coach does, most times coaches are damned either way.

Saban is from West Virginia isn’t he?
Yes, Started his career at Kent State, then was an assistant at several schools all of them up north, then HC at Toledo and Michigan State . Did not coach a team in the South till 2000 (LSU).
Bottom line if you can coach, then you can coach anywhere.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Yes, Started his career at Kent State, then was an assistant at several schools all of them up north, then HC at Toledo and Michigan State . Did not coach a team in the South till 2000 (LSU).
Bottom line if you can coach, then you can coach anywhere.

Yup. Look at Urban Meyer. Won in Ohio. Went to Utah and won. Went to Florida and won. Went back to Ohio and won.

A few "Northerners" and Midwestern types come to mind who had a little success recruiting and coaching in the South. Meyer (Ohio), Richt (Nebraska), Bryant (Arkansas), Saban (WV), Neyland (Tx), Mullen (PA), Morrison (Ohio), Fisher (WV), J. Johnson (TX), Davis (OK), Franklin (PA), Herman (OH), Miles (OH), Holtz (OH), Stoops (OH), and I know I have missed a bunch.
I'm sorry, but if you think Bear Bryant was a "Northerner" or Midwestern type ... I'm just speechless. Arkansas was part of the Confederacy, for Pete's sake. For that matter, Texas, culturally speaking, is much more Southern than Northern or Midwestern.

In reading Clawson's bio, it appears that he is a graduate of the same school (undergrad) as . . . . Harris Pastidis!

RAY . . . RAY . . . WAKE UP!!!

because the vast majority that hates champ, have hated him from the get go and it wouldnt really matter how he did or does in the future, they want him gone...personally, nothing would make me happier than for champ to finish turning this team around and stays for 15 yrs or more...knowing how pissed some of our fans would be would just make my day and i would smile after every win, knowing how it was eating at some of yall...lmao

Yea, those guys from up North can't come down south and expect to recruit and coach successfully. Everyone knows that.
BTW: Nick Saban says hello.

There's only 1 Nick Saban, and he’s already done his thing. If Clawson has no other ties to our recruiting lands, it’s just something to consider.

This is my concern as well. Mom's and dads in the dep south are NOT the kind of moms and dads he been dealing so far, especially at Wake Forest. He can coach, but I'm not sure he will be a hit on the recruiting trail.

This is my concern as well. Mom's and dads in the dep south are NOT the kind of moms and dads he been dealing so far, especially at Wake Forest. He can coach, but I'm not sure he will be a hit on the recruiting trail.

Context matters.

Context matters.

Ding! We had the best team in the division three years in a row and went to Atlanta zero times.

I know, seriously; that Frank McGuire did awful coaching in the south.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT