ADVERTISEMENT

What about Venables, Elliot stays as Asst. Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator & pay $$$ for an OC?

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
Just trying to think how to cover all bases. Option would be to do what Clemson did - keep Shaun and hire the best OC and DC out there. I just think Shaun would be great at recruiting, Venables certainly knows the landscape and how to recruit as well. Of course, he would have to agree to this. Would not have thought of him but Kornblut thought he was ready to take a head coaching job somewhere if he wants it. Don`t know if he wold leave Cowtown but everyone(almost) has a price tag.Still would like Herman or Smart but looking less likely. Richt is a nice guy but no thanks.

I've been lurking trying to hear info on the coaching situation but I just wanted to say I'm surprised that by now you haven't realized that Dabo isn't just 'some guy' with great assistants. Hell, it was his vision to go hire those assistants yall think are great in the first place, not the AD.

I've been lurking trying to hear info on the coaching situation but I just wanted to say I'm surprised that by now you haven't realized that Dabo isn't just 'some guy' with great assistants. Hell, it was his vision to go hire those assistants yall think are great in the first place, not the AD.

Well, to be truthful, it wasn't his first vision, was it? Didn't he flounder with Steele and the Furman guy?

Reactions: Tigerof66

Okay Why do we care ?

I'd be fine with Venables. Plus when we beat the taters next year in cowtown, we could carry him off the field. Payback for Fat Brad.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Well, to be truthful, it wasn't his first vision, was it? Didn't he flounder with Steele and the Furman guy?
Napier was also on staff under Bowden. Dabo felt like if he didn't promote him to OC we'd lose him. The offense didnt have any identy other than get the ball to Spiller. Dabo fired Napier(who wasnt ready) and brought in Morris to run the type of offense he wanted. Turned out not to be too big of a loss because of who he brought in to replace him.

Kevin Steele didn't work out, no, but Brent Venables has. I just would have thought after 5 straight 10+ win seasons, an undefeated regular season this year, folks couldn't call it luck anymore and expect to be taken seriously. Dabo has always been a winner and overachiever. He'll never get his due credit. I'm sure by now he's accepted that, I just don't get it. I'm not trying to flame or anything I'm just shocked some people still view Dabo that way. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

What has Elliott done to deserve being retained? Having passion? Give me a break. We finished the season losing five straight including The Citadel. He's got to go.

Napier was also on staff under Bowden. Dabo felt like if he didn't promote him to OC we'd lose him. The offense didnt have any identy other than get the ball to Spiller. Dabo fired Napier(who wasnt ready) and brought in Morris to run the type of offense he wanted. Turned out not to be too big of a loss because of who he brought in to replace him.

Kevin Steele didn't work out, no, but Brent Venables has. I just would have thought after 5 straight 10+ win seasons, an undefeated regular season this year, folks couldn't call it luck anymore and expect to be taken seriously. Dabo has always been a winner and overachiever. He'll never get his due credit. I'm sure by now he's accepted that, I just don't get it. I'm not trying to flame or anything I'm just shocked some people still view Dabo that way. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

For starters, I think the man would get a lot more credit and respect if he didn't call himself "Dabo." Coach Swinney, Swinney, or even Dabo Swinney would be better.
That said, I do think he deserves credit for what he has accomplished. He is a great program and brand manager. He is not very technical and most everyone understands that. That's not all bad and is not meant as a dig. He has made some great hires for both cordinators and position coaches and he can sell, aka recruit. Swinney with poor or mediocre coordinators did not work well. He does not have the coaching acumen to overcome that and I think he understands that about himself and knows where his strengths lie. Bottom line, he has established a program with an incredible win record and recruiting pipeline with a bright future.

I've
Just trying to think how to cover all bases. Option would be to do what Clemson did - keep Shaun and hire the best OC and DC out there. I just think Shaun would be great at recruiting, Venables certainly knows the landscape and how to recruit as well. Of course, he would have to agree to this. Would not have thought of him but Kornblut thought he was ready to take a head coaching job somewhere if he wants it. Don`t know if he wold leave Cowtown but everyone(almost) has a price tag.Still would like Herman or Smart but looking less likely. Richt is a nice guy but no thanks.

With that staff will we beat The Citadel?

People, stop with the Elliott talk. His audition was a thud.

Don't see them hiring anyone from Clemson. But I would be more for that than keeping Elliott as recruiting coordinator. I know of a couple of high schools in the upstate in his recruiting territory that haven't seen his face. Now true, they don't have any D1 quality players at this time. But you don't know when they will. Regardless, the Clemson staff has visited often and made the high school staffs feel as important as if they had the best player in the country on their team. Effort matters, and Clemson seems to do the little things on the recruiting trail that USC hasn't done for a while. So let's have a clean break. Don't think we need a souls off of this staff that let this program fall so far in two short years.

the reason we are in this problem is because of the current coaching staff...getting rid of spurrier didnt fix a damn thing.....why would we want any of them to stay....i want em all on the next bus to the north pole...let santa deal with em

Can't wait to see the dumpster fires and lines at the pharmacies around Columbia when Elliot is named head coach! Gonna be EPIC! Can't wait!

"Some people still view Dabo that way".... MOST people still view Datboy that way. He's a pitch man, a salesman. He does a great job of non-stop selling the program, but he's not an X's and O's coach. Have you ever heard him speak and not mention some ridiculous meaningless stat trying to increase the national perception of Clemson? That's what he's good at. Pay attention to your games. When a timeout is called, the players huddle around the Assistants, and Dabo just pats everyone on the helmet. He's hired good assistants, but good assistants don't last forever.

"Some people still view Dabo that way".... MOST people still view Datboy that way. He's a pitch man, a salesman. He does a great job of non-stop selling the program, but he's not an X's and O's coach. Have you ever heard him speak and not mention some ridiculous meaningless stat trying to increase the national perception of Clemson? That's what he's good at. Pay attention to your games. When a timeout is called, the players huddle around the Assistants, and Dabo just pats everyone on the helmet. He's hired good assistants, but good assistants don't last forever.
One of his best attributes as HC is he is not a micro manager of assistants. He lets them do their job. His style has been working. I may even go so far as to say the desire for a young, energetic, and dynamite recruiter to run a program is because of the success Dabo has had. That's why I don't get him being knocked for it. God forbid he changed his coaching style so fans outside the program felt like he was more involved or whatever. But make no mistake, this is Dabo's program from top to bottom. He's not some puppet.

What most folks don't see is while yall were winning 5 in a row during our coaching transition, Dabo was building a foundation here. It was a total culture change from the Bowden mentality here. I get it because yall were winning the games it was easy to ignore. I felt like we dominated the trenches the last game in Cola just cannot turn the ball over 6 time against a good team and expect to win the game. Its been trending back this way. It just makes you sound pretty silly trying to discount what Dabo has done when his body of work is pretty damn good. We'll see if we can add some hardware going forward. I count nothing as guaranteed. That's why they play the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT